Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

IB is not some mythical land where you have to dress in a special costume. just dress well and use common sense, people.

quality pinstripes:
    Spoiler:
    Show

awful pinstripes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nimiza)
    Ridiculously correct. One of the interns in our class turned up in a pinstriped suit, tie etc. His ED literally said "**** off back to IBD."
    Ok, that's an isolated incident that obviously involves a lot of inferiority issues for that particular Director, but I can assure you that in my time I've never witnessed anything like it.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody wears pinstripes on my trading floor. Nobody.

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, does anyone know the most conservative trading floors in London in terms of dress, and the least conservative. I know that Lehman had a rep for pretty formal attire on the trading floor, but not heard about any of the others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenyblue_eyes)
    Out of interest, does anyone know the most conservative trading floors in London in terms of dress, and the least conservative. I know that Lehman had a rep for pretty formal attire on the trading floor, but not heard about any of the others.
    Lehman was big on ties. Nomura continued that when a lot of them went across. DB also pretty formal according to a guy I know who crossed over to work there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roussell)
    Lehman was big on ties. Nomura continued that when a lot of them went across. DB also pretty formal according to a guy I know who crossed over to work there.
    Yeah I'd heard about Lehman/DB from WSO, had a friend at BarCap that had to be suited + tie everyday but he was on a very specific desk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenyblue_eyes)
    Lehman. Conservative in dress, not so conservative with derivatives.

ReputationRep:
    I like ties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loafer)
    awful pinstripes:
    These are not pinstripes. They're not even chalkstripes really. They're just stripes!

(Original post by crafty bison)
    These are not pinstripes. They're not even chalkstripes really. They're just stripes!
    haha yeah, its also double breasted, made from plastic and is a fancy dress outfit, but 'ey whaddya'gonnado..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loafer)
    awful pinstripes:
    They look like pyjamas lol

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with chalkstripes done well. I have two suits with chalkstripes, one is a very subtle grey-on-grey two-piece which I can't see anyone ever objecting to; though the other being navy with white stripes in a three-piece would clash at a conservative bank. Looked awesome down the Treasury's 'corridor of power' though (I briefly worked for one of the Treasury ministers). It's a bit of a charicature, but the suits cut so well that it's a fun, stylish charicature. I wouldn't advise that for an analyst, but the former one would be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I think pinstripes are fine... especially for us fatties. I have a light blue on brown, which looks surprisingly nice... and also a light blue on navy, but that'sn cheap and nasty...

Now I have the job and am less fat, I can buy new stuff.

But my real love is ties :love: I want to upgrade to a couple of really high quality ties and shirts now, and some new cufflinks. Nothing novelty...

Where's good for ties, like online if possible...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    I think pinstripes are fine... especially for us fatties. I have a light blue on brown, which looks surprisingly nice... and also a light blue on navy, but that'sn cheap and nasty...

Now I have the job and am less fat, I can buy new stuff.

But my real love is ties :love: I want to upgrade to a couple of really high quality ties and shirts now, and some new cufflinks. Nothing novelty...

Where's good for ties, like online if possible...?
    Hermes always a good choice if you're going top end ties.

I quite like Thomas Pink shirts, though if you are actually fat you may have trouble finding one in their collection which fits.

As for cufflinks, call me what you want but I really linke Burberry ones...

ReputationRep:
    I generally have spent about a tenner on my better ties thus far, but I was working in audit. Don't get me wrong, two of them are lovely Italian silk ties... but they're a bit dated.

Trouble is I like specific patters to match my suit/shirt combos and the amount of morons I see walking around with squared shirts and diagonal striped ties... Jesus, I must never become such a mess.

I seem to wear a lot of pink shirt/blue tie combos.

Lol 'if you are actually fat'. Love it! :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    interesting thread.

what about the handkerchief in the front pocket? too bossy? for people just starting in IB, that is.

ReputationRep:
    I actually have a pair of Burberry links too, though bought before Burberry got chavvy. For high end cufflinks, I'd go for Duchamp.

(Original post by phantom1987)
    interesting thread.

what about the handkerchief in the front pocket? too bossy? for people just starting in IB, that is.
    You might as well be naked without a pocket square. I'd rather skip wearing a tie than go out without one, though sadly it's acceptable to skip it these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    For high end cufflinks, I'd go for Duchamp.
    Duchamp is hard to pull off when you're i. young, ii. junior.

I think a set of silver/platinum Mont Blanc cufflinks are a solid investment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PorcineAviation)
    Duchamp is hard to pull off when you're i. young, ii. junior.

I think a set of silver/platinum Mont Blanc cufflinks are a solid investment.
    Why exactly? According to http://www.duchamplondon.com/shop/cufflinks/8 they do not seem to be so expensive.

as compared to something like http://www.deakinandfrancis.co.uk/showcase.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phantom1987)
    Why exactly? According to http://www.duchamplondon.com/shop/cufflinks/8 they do not seem to be so expensive.

as compared to something like http://www.deakinandfrancis.co.uk/showcase.html
    It's not the cost, it's the style.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.