Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    Understated =/= without style. For example something like http://www.duchamplondon.com/shop/cu...link/938/4_15/ or http://www.duchamplondon.com/shop/cu...link/001/4_18/

Having said that, being cufflinks, unless you go for garish skulls or novelty tack, nothing will stand out for bad reasons. They're such a small item, it's not how someone would show off if they were intent on doing so, which takes it away from the Hermes problem. As such, I love these: http://www.duchamplondon.com/shop/cu...link/947/4_60/ I'd be shocked if anyone thought I was too young or junior to wear them.
    Now.... what about Duchamp Ties

(Original post by loggins)
    Yup, but there's a line between looking good and looking like you're trying hard to look good. Lots of Analysts do wear Hermes, it's just my opinion that you should be slightly more established before you can have 'H' splashed over everything in the work place. I see the 'H' as being stripes that should be earned :p:.
    Fair, although what are your opinions on perhaps a more understated tie by given brand... i.e. with no big H's put all over it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PorcineAviation)
    I think the first is pretty devoid of style. And the second is nice, but it's just a copy of other classic designs, and for £130 you might as well spend £70 more and get the real thing.

As for the third, if your senior colleagues see that on your cuff you're going to get massive grief.
    I really don't. Cufflinks are so small, you can get away with a lot that would be flashy for a larger accessory. Though novelty ones and skulls are still a step too far, IMHO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimi Haze)
    Now.... what about Duchamp Ties
    Bit floral for me, and a bit expensive. I don't mind having the odd floral tie for when I'm feeling adventurous, but not something I do too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phantom1987)
    just asking to understand how it is in London, cause in Moscow at Top Unis it is normal for students to wear LV, Hermes and all other big names. But I understand what you are trying to say.
    British class is not demonstrable through fashion labels or flash displays of wealth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roussell)
    British class is not demonstrable through fashion labels or flash displays of wealth.
    heh of course it is not.

ReputationRep:
    Pocket squares?

Seriously?

ReputationRep:
    Are Tie Rack as ideal for ties as their name suggests?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxMaxMax)
    I got a couple from Tie Rack, just solid colours though. Then again in S&T nobody wears ties unless it's to a client meeting, which I won't be doing any time soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxMaxMax)
    Yes imo. Just don't go to Shoe Zone looking for shoes

(Original post by the_mars_volta)
    Yes imo. Just don't go to Shoe Zone looking for shoes
    WTF, are you trying to tell me that they make their soles out of cardboard?:hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    Tie rack is pretty nice and was doing a fairly awesome sale in New Year... But I am starting to think on slightly more adventurous lines... Then, I don't want to be paying for the sake of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loafer)
    WTF, are you trying to tell me that they make their soles out of cardboard?:hmmm:
    Something like that. Their shoes are disgusting... and painful.

Where is a good place to buy reasonably nice shoes at reasonable prices? I need a couple of new pairs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)

Where is a good place to buy reasonably nice shoes at reasonable prices? I need a couple of new pairs.
    What do you regard as 'reasonable'?

ReputationRep:
    I would deffinately say a pair of decent, bespoke, shoes is by far one of the most important investments in an analyst wardrobe. A decent pair will probably last you well over 10 years (especially as you can get them resoled) and will speak volumes. You can probably get some for not much over £200. Brogues are a good classic bet, or a clean wingtip.

There is little which makes you look as amateur as a pair of cheap loafers....

ReputationRep:
    I think even a £100 pair of Loakes would suffice, not loafers though, always Oxfords/Brogues, maybe monkstraps if you're brave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrey)
    I would deffinately say a pair of decent, bespoke, shoes is by far one of the most important investments in an analyst wardrobe. A decent pair will probably last you well over 10 years (especially as you can get them resoled) and will speak volumes. You can probably get some for not much over £200. Brogues are a good classic bet, or a clean wingtip.

There is little which makes you look as amateur as a pair of cheap loafers....
    You're missing a digit - a pair of decent bespoke shoes will set you back not much over £2000. Bespoke shoes may well be worth it, as fit is so crucial with shoes, and you will get a spectacular pair, however they're a very expensive thing to buy.

(Original post by RobbieC)

Sadly there isn't that much outside sales. The shoes sold in places like Charles Tyrwhitt are very good - Cheaney and Crockett & Jones - but tend to be around £200 at full price. Barker are around £130, and still decent, but a noticeable drop in quality. Same going down to Loake. The best value I've seen is either buying seconds from factory shops at ~£100-150 for Church's, Crockett & Jones, Cheaney, Grenson, etc., or finding them in sales at places like CT or even John Lewis. If you know your size and shape well enough not to need to try them on, buying online can be a way to get cheap, good quality shoes, from places like www.herringshoes.co.uk and www.pediwear.co.uk, but I'd only recommend this if you're very comfortable with sizing.

could always try the Loake range for Next if you are really on the affordable thing.

but that would probably mean that there would be Next branding somewhere on the shoe (and entering a Next). i think that i would rather get stabbed repeatedly in the genitals in central coventry.

ED: BLIMEY just seen the prices for shoes with Next written on them. urgh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    You're missing a digit - a pair of decent bespoke shoes will set you back not much over £2000. Bespoke shoes may well be worth it, as fit is so crucial with shoes, and you will get a spectacular pair, however they're a very expensive thing to buy.
    I'm certain you can get Semi-Bespoke shoes made for your feet for under £500. While they may have standardised designs they are still an improvement. I don't have a reference for you at the moment, as I looked into it two years ago and don't have the time to dig any up (impending exams ). But if anyone was interesed I'm sure they could find something with a little help from google...

ReputationRep:
    I think some of the stuff thats been branded around here is a bit too traditional/ boring and old school for me. I am a very big fan of looking sharp, with a well fitting suit and shoes high priority, but there is no way I'm going to buy some of those painful traditional and old man shoes. You can look stylish and sharp at the same time,( and by that im not talking about a skinny suit and winkle-pickers to work) but you can at least have some youthful style.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakezg)
    I think some of the stuff thats been branded around here is a bit too traditional/ boring and old school for me. I am a very big fan of looking sharp, with a well fitting suit and shoes high priority, but there is no way I'm going to buy some of those painful traditional and old man shoes. You can look stylish and sharp at the same time,( and by that im not talking about a skinny suit and winkle-pickers to work) but you can at least have some youthful style.
    I agree. I think Hugo Boss have some pretty sleek and sharp numbers on both counts.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.