Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    I'm at uni.
    Ok I see, I thought I'd seen a post in here somewhere that said otherwise, but I must be mistaken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unsung_hero)
    and there was me thinking I could kit myself out by going M&S....
    You can, the people here are way over the top...

If you do your work, it doesn't matter how well you dress (within reason... and M&S is well within reason), especially at junior levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teenage Pirate)

If you do your work, it doesn't matter how well you dress (within reason... and M&S is well within reason), especially at junior levels.
    This

ReputationRep:

To be fair, I 100% agree with this, I wouldn't buy expensive clothes to impress people at work or because I think it'd help me succeed, I'd do it because I like to feel good in what I'm wearing.

ReputationRep:
    Also, on a fashion side of things.. There are makes of clothes out there that have so much better quality than the big name brands some of you are mentioning, but are actually quite a bit cheaper..

and there are some unknown makes/independent tailors that are more expensive but actually worth the money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    To be fair, I 100% agree with this, I wouldn't buy expensive clothes to impress people at work or because I think it'd help me succeed, I'd do it because I like to feel good in what I'm wearing.
    Completely agree.

E.g. I would never buy a Louis Vuitton bag although it's considered very fashionable in my university and I had never bought those horrible Richmond jeans although they were considered very cool when I was at high school.

And remember that quality clothes/shoes/etc.. last longer. My Tod's are 4 yrs old and they still look brand new.

(Original post by Entrepreneur_NO1)
    Also, on a fashion side of things.. There are makes of clothes out there that have so much better quality than the big name brands some of you are mentioning, but are actually quite a bit cheaper..
    Prada is an example of poor quality clothes....

And, yes, there are many independent tailors that are damned good, but they are very very very expensive.

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree with this. I can't imagine many vice presidents seeing a stray M&S label and black-marking your promotion prospects because of it.

The key thing is just to look smart. How well the clothes fit and suit you is far more important than what brand they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pitoburo)
    And remember that quality clothes/shoes/etc.. last longer. My Tod's are 4 yrs old and they still look brand new.
    Yup. Good shoes and a good watch are important imo.

Buy cheap, buy twice! :p:

ReputationRep:
    First, this thread is hilarious, great chat by greeny blue eyes and loggins.

Second, couldn't agree more about the Hermes - we had a couple of Euro interns last summer trying to pull off the 'H' belt on the casual fridays... they looked like toss pots. Even analysts were laughing at them.

Finally, agree with the post above, I think it's very important how you present yourself but no reason why you can't do this weel in an M&S suit. All about P&L at the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    I did invest in a decent watch, it was expensive at the time.. a Rotary one that looks quite sexy to be honest.. haha! Don't know how that make is fairing at the min

ReputationRep:
    PS:

I've only worked in Italy and there style is quite important. If you're in a client-facing position, stylish clothes are a must whatever is your level and pay.

I don't know how it works in UK.

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget this essential preparation before you go to your internship interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sz1EhPSRgo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pitoburo)
    PS:

I've only worked in Italy and there style is quite important. If you're in a client-facing position, stylish clothes are a must whatever is your level and pay.

I don't know how it works in UK.
    It's pretty important here, not like those scruffy *******s on Wall Street...

ReputationRep:

Well I used M&S and Moss for 2 years almost. But I do feel their quality can be bit poor at times, which is normal and also they do not tend to fit me well.

If I see a suit that is good quality and on sale, it is an investment (as long as it is affordable within your budget). It certainly won't make much a difference whether you get any special treatment in a work place. (except winning some fashion awards like my colleague once did)

ReputationRep:
    I thought the idea of the golden handshake was to go out and spend it on some decent stuff? Quite a lot of my friends who got golden handshakes used the cash to buy Rolex's and similar.

ReputationRep:
    Most likely (IBD-ers) you would be in office for 12+ hours a day. Once it's past 10 PM, you start smelling like sh|t. Once it's past midnight, you are sh|t. I find wearing a suit and a tie everyday to work very bothersome. There is nothing worse than your French-cuffs bothering your wrists when typing at 1 AM and there is nothing more bothersome than keeping your tie on for so long.

Personally, wearing flamboyant Euro brands (Gucci, Armani, Hermes and etc.), cutaway collar shirts, and French-cuffs (double cuffs) with cuff links to work just doesn't settle very well with me. I think these are not for junior bankers and they are just too showy. Quite frankly, these Euro brands and their styles are not masculine at all.

Trousers and shirts (plain white or pale blue) work just fine - 7 days a week & 24 hours a day.

You should maybe have about 2 to 3 suits...4 if your office is very formal (preferably dark navy and charcoal).

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The IC Guy)
    Ha, had a debate with an intern last summer, maybe someone in here can settle it.

Medium grey suit with brown shoes (London tan)?

You'll look the part/Fashion faux pas
    IMO, Brown shoes should NEVER be worn at work.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Loving this thread. The purpose of it was to guage approximately what was necessary given I've never worked in an i-bank before.

Also - brand of suit is irrelevant. All about how it looks on you .

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.