Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    At the end of the day, if expensive stuff isn't important to you, then it isn't important to you, but aside from the materialistic side of spending, I genuinely believe that if you buy twice you buy cheap. A pair of Clarks shoes might last you a couple of years, while a pair of Church's could last you a decade if you look after them. The same goes for all sorts of other things, a Rolex watch, a Burberry Trench, a Hermes briefcase, they're all expensive, but will last you the rest of your life and never go out of fashion. But then most people aren't that fussed about these issues..
    Yeah, I am happy to buy expensive if someone can speak from experience that they are some sturdy *******.

I know what you mean about cheap things falling apart, but I am looking for the optimum really, without breaking the bank I guess. I am not super vain, but I can appreciate nice things and good quality.

I am quite a large creature... any shoes with tank armour so they don't dissolve beneath my mass? :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Yeah, I am happy to buy expensive if someone can speak from experience that they are some sturdy *******.

I know what you mean about cheap things falling apart, but I am looking for the optimum really, without breaking the bank I guess. I am not super vain, but I can appreciate nice things and good quality.

I am quite a large creature... any shoes with tank armour so they don't dissolve beneath my mass? :awesome:
    Dont get the wrong idea about my comments from this post or the other one. But Accenture pay you a fair decent sign on whack. Splash out. Please. In reality, splashing £1k on a couple of 300/350 quid suits or a £500/600 one and a cheaper one, a few nice shirts and some decent shoes circa 150+ from Kurt Geiger/PS is not going to break the bank.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    You're missing a digit - a pair of decent bespoke shoes will set you back not much over £2000. Bespoke shoes may well be worth it, as fit is so crucial with shoes, and you will get a spectacular pair, however they're a very expensive thing to buy.

Sadly there isn't that much outside sales. The shoes sold in places like Charles Tyrwhitt are very good - Cheaney and Crockett & Jones - but tend to be around £200 at full price. Barker are around £130, and still decent, but a noticeable drop in quality. Same going down to Loake. The best value I've seen is either buying seconds from factory shops at ~£100-150 for Church's, Crockett & Jones, Cheaney, Grenson, etc., or finding them in sales at places like CT or even John Lewis. If you know your size and shape well enough not to need to try them on, buying online can be a way to get cheap, good quality shoes, from places like www.herringshoes.co.uk and www.pediwear.co.uk, but I'd only recommend this if you're very comfortable with sizing.
    Do you know what herring's own shoes are like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    Dont get the wrong idea about my comments from this post or the other one. But Accenture pay you a fair decent sign on whack. Splash out. Please. In reality, splashing £1k on a couple of 300/350 quid suits or a £500/600 one and a cheaper one, a few nice shirts and some decent shoes circa 150+ from Kurt Geiger/PS is not going to break the bank.
    I am intending to buy some really nice things, suits and shirts... ties, cufflinks. I am essentially buying a new wardrobe for this very purpose. Will keep a few of my nicer ties and shirts from before and the suits as backups... But I will be spending around 1500 on new stuff I imagine, but also need to consider moving costs to house-share or apartment in London.

I am normally extremely tight with money. This is me living it up, tbh... but I am still sensible.

ReputationRep:
    I am intending to buy some really nice things, suits and shirts... ties, cufflinks. I am essentially buying a new wardrobe for this very purpose. Will keep a few of my nicer ties and shirts from before and the suits as backups... But I will be spending around 1500 on new stuff I imagine, but also need to consider moving costs to house-share or apartment in London.

I am normally extremely tight with money. This is me living it up, tbh... but I am still sensible.
    Welcome to London. You'll learn to be a bit more liberal.

Dont get all flashy flashy with ties and cufflinks. Your priority is a couple of decent suits. Aquascutum, Paul Smith, some Boss ones, Ralphs (exc Black Label) etc can all be picked up for below 600. Then go to H&H or TM Lewin, or just take a wander down Jermyn Street, pick up 6 or 7 shirts for couple hundred quid from the various ones that have the x number of shirts for £100. If you have a big frame, then many of the ones that wont fit me and look like balloons will fit you better, though im constrained to the fitted slim-fit ones. Then its shoes.

ReputationRep:
    But I love ties :sad:

One thing I find ridiculous, on that note, are skinny ties. Make me sick. Also, guys thinking it's alright to wear checkered shirts and striped ties.

It really isn't alright.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    Welcome to London. You'll learn to be a bit more liberal.

Dont get all flashy flashy with ties and cufflinks. Your priority is a couple of decent suits. Aquascutum, Paul Smith, some Boss ones, Ralphs (exc Black Label) etc can all be picked up for below 600. Then go to H&H or TM Lewin, or just take a wander down Jermyn Street, pick up 6 or 7 shirts for couple hundred quid from the various ones that have the x number of shirts for £100. If you have a big frame, then many of the ones that wont fit me and look like balloons will fit you better, though im constrained to the fitted slim-fit ones. Then its shoes.
    Get the **** off here and go to the pub.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PorcineAviation)
    Get the **** off here and go to the pub.
    Nandos and pubbage have been done this afternoon. Months of not drinking have left me a little lightweight. Besides, no other ****** is finished.

Im happy with a curry, the Pacific Ep 10, and the knowledge that tomorrow night I shall be totally off my face and not even remember the journey to the Roxy from Marylebone, let alone the time once i get down those steps. (+ CV may be coming round later)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    Nandos and pubbage have been done this afternoon. Months of not drinking have left me a little lightweight. Besides, no other ****** is finished.

Im happy with a curry, the Pacific Ep 10, and the knowledge that tomorrow night I shall be totally off my face and not even remember the journey to the Roxy from Marylebone, let alone the time once i get down those steps. (+ CV may be coming round later)
    I despise you. And Europe.

ReputationRep:
    I despise you. And Europe.
    Surely me more? Id like to be better than Wendy someway or another.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to be funny, but is there something wrong with wearing shoes bought at a high st. shop like Clarkes? Is there some taboo about how you'll never be promoted and will be the subject of bullying circles if your shoes cost less than £50?

I don't know, it just seems otherworldly, the way a lot of people discuss things on here.
    No, they just look awful, don't age well and don't last. The majority of people you work with won't particularly care if you're suit doesn't fit that great or your shoes are cheap, but good ones do get noticed and create a better impression, and will last for a lot longer. In fact, I think good shoes work out much cheaper in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenyblue_eyes)
    Do you know what herring's own shoes are like?
    No idea.

ReputationRep:
    No, they just look awful, don't age well and don't last. The majority of people you work with won't particularly care if you're suit doesn't fit that great or your shoes are cheap, but good ones do get noticed and create a better impression, and will last for a lot longer. In fact, I think good shoes work out much cheaper in the long run.
    I am coming round on the matter. My Clarkes pair I interviewed with will now be my casual going out with mates shoes then!

I am going to buy a couple of nice pairs, nothing custom... but nice. Do you have any knowledge of makers that will have good durability?

ReputationRep:
    I am coming round on the matter. My Clarkes pair I interviewed with will now be my casual going out with mates shoes then!

I am going to buy a couple of nice pairs, nothing custom... but nice. Do you have any knowledge of makers that will have good durability?
    Throw the Clarks away. Thats the bottom line to all this. They are forever tainted with awful back to school new shoes and the like.

ReputationRep:

Loads: Church's, Crockett & Jones, Cheaney, Edward Green, John Lobb, Gaziano & Girling, Alfred Sargent, Trickers and Grenson come to mind. Barker are pretty good too, but to a slightly lesser extent - best to only get ones made with calf leather rather than the high-shine stuff they use on some shoes. Most good shoemakers only use calf, as it's softer, lasts longer and creates a much better patina (the shine and creases shoes develop with wear). These shoemakers also make for various other people, for example I have pairs of Gieves and Hawkes and Paul Smith shoes made by Cheaney. Though only the top ranges of Paul Smith's shoes are that well made.

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, what are opinions on boots in the workplace? Obviously not with a suit, but with trousers, a jacket.

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, what are opinions on boots in the workplace? Obviously not with a suit, but with trousers, a jacket.
    I'd happily wear them with a suit as well. If they were nice boots at least. I almost bought a pair of John Lobb Jodhpurs when I went to their factory shop, but sadly the fit didn't really work for me. I'd put those with a suit!

ReputationRep:
    Loads: Church's, Crockett & Jones, Cheaney, Edward Green, John Lobb, Gaziano & Girling, Alfred Sargent, Trickers and Grenson come to mind. Barker are pretty good too, but to a slightly lesser extent - best to only get ones made with calf leather rather than the high-shine stuff they use on some shoes. Most good shoemakers only use calf, as it's softer, lasts longer and creates a much better patina (the shine and creases shoes develop with wear). These shoemakers also make for various other people, for example I have pairs of Gieves and Hawkes and Paul Smith shoes made by Cheaney. Though only the top ranges of Paul Smith's shoes are that well made.
    Thank you for this. I will be viewing and bookmarking some before bed-time.

I don't usually like shopping, but I quite like checking all this stuff out. I guess I never really liked shopping as I never had any money before! (Still don't, yet)

ReputationRep:
    You mean like Chelsea Boots and Brogue Boots? Yes, look great in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Would recommend Trickers, they make incredible brogues. Also, Loake make some nice shoes if you don't want to pay an arm and a leg, I've never had any problems with mine.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.