Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    Fortunately he won't be wandering the City or CW in those. He'll stick to Baker St. Hopefully.
    Thank god. Damn Consultants.

ReputationRep:
    this thread seems to be the start of the next set of badly dressed city workers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakezg)
    this thread seems to be the start of the next set of badly dressed city workers.
    Says the guy who wore such a stupid cardigan that his blackberry fell out of it before he kicked it under the tube. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    JG, you're my style idol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PorcineAviation)
    JG, you're my style idol.
    Sometimes i looked across the library and had to double take to make sure i didn't see Gok Wan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    Sometimes i looked across the library and had to double take to make sure i didn't see Gok Wan.
    Be fair. Gok didn't pioneer the style. I look at Gok and do a double take.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...ID=3&seconds=2

:coma:

I see what you mean about the nice shoes. Jesus they look sturdier than a battleship, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    lol thanks guys, its nice to be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Jones the Bootmaker good for shoes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxMaxMax)
    Jones the Bootmaker good for shoes?
    Most of their stuff is a bit fashion-forward and not great quality - square-toed, thin-soled shoes with corrected grain leather - but they do a few good pairs. The Barkers they sell are quite nice, as are some of their casual shoes, but for formal shoes I'd go to somewhere like Charles Tyrwhitt or any of the department stores that sell Grenson, Cheaney, Crockett & Jones, Church's, etc.

ReputationRep:
    So I got my stuff. Two suits, two pairs of shoes, several ties and shirts, etc... .

What do people think about bags in the sense of document bags (is that the name)? I heard someone say on this forum some IBs hand some out on the first day? If so, is it actually advisable to use those? Oh - intern here btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DerPumuckl)
    So I got my stuff. Two suits, two pairs of shoes, several ties and shirts, etc... .

What do people think about bags in the sense of document bags (is that the name)? I heard someone say on this forum some IBs hand some out on the first day? If so, is it actually advisable to use those? Oh - intern here btw.
    You won't need a document bag - you won't be taking any documents in/out of the office.

Useful to have a hold-all for spare shirts, a tie, gym kit, squash racket, etc. Some firms give out these, and I think it's fine to use it, but others think you shouldn't. Up to you.

ReputationRep:
    What do people think about Hawes & Curtis for shirts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicko88)
    What do people think about Hawes & Curtis for shirts?
    I've got three. They fit well and feel nice but are a bit of a pain to iron

ReputationRep:
    Is wearing a barrel-cuff shirt not flattering at all? I personally hate to wear double-cuff shirts. It's cumbersome to wear, incredibly bothersome when typing on a keyboard, and it just seems to pompous/flashy/showy.

What's your take on this? I noticed that quite a lot of guys wear double-cuff shirts in London...whereas it's generally reserved for more senior professionals here in NYC...

Got to decide, which is better suited for London (though, I am completely aware that it's up to me).. what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FifthQuarter)
    Is wearing a barrel-cuff shirt not flattering at all? I personally hate to wear double-cuff shirts. It's cumbersome to wear, incredibly bothersome when typing on a keyboard, and it just seems to pompous/flashy/showy.

What's your take on this? I noticed that quite a lot of guys wear double-cuff shirts in London...whereas it's generally reserved for more senior professionals here in NYC...

Got to decide, which is better suited for London (though, I am completely aware that it's up to me).. what do you think?
    Double cuffs are smarter and pretty much the norm in the city, however most places you can get away with single cuff shurts if you want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    Double cuffs are smarter and pretty much the norm in the city, however most places you can get away with single cuff shurts if you want to.
    Yea...what's their [double-cuff shirts] appeal? Is there a stigma that comes with wearing a barrel-cuff shirt??

ReputationRep:
    Yea...what's their [double-cuff shirts] appeal? Is there a stigma that comes with wearing a barrel-cuff shirt??
    They're more formal, more traditional and a bit flashier. It's like 2-button suits are considered more formal than one-button ones, or Oxford shoes are considered more formal than Derbys (Bluchers in American English) or loafers. There's no real objective reason that they are, it's just how things have developed.

ReputationRep:
    Its different in the US, where the standard seems to be single-cuff (which I prefer) and wide collar spreads.

i suppose you could just consider it stylish on this side of the pond at the moment, maybe in 50 years people will look back on it and cringe like we cringe female shoulder-padded suits and baggy 4-button brown suits for men (although i doubt it)

anyone fancy explaining fashion or style?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.