Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loafer)
    i suppose you could just consider it stylish on this side of the pond at the moment, maybe in 50 years people will look back on it and cringe like we cringe female shoulder-padded suits and baggy 4-button brown suits for men (although i doubt it)

anyone fancy explaining fashion or style?
    I wouldn't call the style of cuff you wear anything to do with fashion. Fashion is something that changes quickly with the seasons. While sometimes there's more of a preference for 2 or 3 button suits, for a more structured or softer cut of suit, whether you wear a waistcoat, for spread or normal collared shirts, for slim or classic fit, etc., it's always more of a matter of personal preference. That's not fashion. Indeed, things that are fashionable are quite often wrong when it comes to workwear - square-toed shoes, tuxedo jackets, suits with strange numbers of buttons, etc. Whether or not they're 'in', they're inadvisable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchild007)
    Its different in the US, where the standard seems to be single-cuff (which I prefer) and wide collar spreads.
    Wide collar spreads are not a US norm - it's seen as distinctly European.

ReputationRep:
    I need to get some Oxfords but I don't want any with too thick a welts, as a) I'm plenty tool enough without a socking great sole and b) the chunkier the shoe the more the risk of looking like a policeman.

Any suggestions? I suppose I almost want something slightly towards the black tie end of the spectrum, a little less chunky.

ReputationRep:
    Play it safe and get a two-button suit rather than a nice one-button I've been eyeing up for some time, or does it not matter that much?

(Original post by Drogue)
    I wouldn't call the style of cuff you wear anything to do with fashion. Fashion is something that changes quickly with the seasons. While sometimes there's more of a preference for 2 or 3 button suits, for a more structured or softer cut of suit, whether you wear a waistcoat, for spread or normal collared shirts, for slim or classic fit, etc., it's always more of a matter of personal preference. That's not fashion. Indeed, things that are fashionable are quite often wrong when it comes to workwear - square-toed shoes, tuxedo jackets, suits with strange numbers of buttons, etc. Whether or not they're 'in', they're inadvisable.
    thats why i purposefully used 'stylish;.

i regard style as a more general trend over a longer period, with fashion being a micro-event that changes each season. style preferences change, just takes longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz313)
    Play it safe and get a two-button suit rather than a nice one-button I've been eyeing up for some time, or does it not matter that much?
    I'd play it safe unless you know a one-button is appropriate for that office. I'm a big fan of one-button suits, but I wouldn't wear one if I'm going anywhere that requires formality.

ReputationRep:
    if your going into this business you should probably already have the wardrobe for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toofaforu)
    if your going into this business you should probably already have the wardrobe for it.
    Get back to the AS revision son.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    I'd play it safe unless you know a one-button is appropriate for that office. I'm a big fan of one-button suits, but I wouldn't wear one if I'm going anywhere that requires formality.
    Yeah I thought as much, place I'll be working this summer seems quite conservative... Cheers

ReputationRep:
    I'm a fan of wide-collar shirts - any downsides to a wardrobe comprised predominantly of them?

ReputationRep:
    Floordrobes are wear it's at!

Pun intended.

ReputationRep:
    Got myself a nice penny collar shirt from Pink the other week, i think they are quality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dalianatkinson)
    I need to get some Oxfords but I don't want any with too thick a welts, as a) I'm plenty tall enough without a socking great sole and b) the chunkier the shoe the more the risk of looking like a policeman.

Any suggestions? I suppose I almost want something slightly towards the black tie end of the spectrum, a little less chunky.
    ??

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for two-button. End of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenyblue_eyes)
    Yeah I've got a TM Lewin one. It is nice. Think I picked it up for 175 down from 500 before internship (not in banking) last year.

Tailored is obviously a bit different to a made-to-measure suit.

Tbh I think blowing a grand on a suit is probably a bit out of my reach too, yeah the starting salary is good, should be getting a bonus of ~20k, but if I'm not using the jacket/wearing a tie there seems little point.

Will completely depend on the desk/bank culture as to the specific dress code, and I obviously won't find that out properly until I'm there. In BarCap for example my friend had to wear a full suit and tie every day as a structurer, but another desk was far less formal.
    TM Lewin 'sales' are a joke. My friend used to work there, he said that the suits with massive price reductions were previously only sold for about three months at that price, so they can legally put "reduced from 500 to 250" on the tag!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    I'm all for two-button. End of.
    Two as a minimum. Quite partial to a three also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STomlinson)
    Two as a minimum. Quite partial to a three also.
    My Dad wears them. But then he's 64 and call pull that kind of stuff off. Any young professionals wear that? I'm guessing Barristers must love them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xeijin)
    TM Lewin 'sales' are a joke. My friend used to work there, he said that the suits with massive price reductions were previously only sold for about three months at that price, so they can legally put "reduced from 500 to 250" on the tag!
    Er. Have you never been to a supermarket? It's the same story everywhere mate... do you think ANYONE ever buys cherries or blueberries at "full price"? :p:

Repeating my earlier unanswered question:

Any downsides to wide-collar shirts?

ReputationRep:
    speaking of which, (shady businesses) there is a store near Oxford Circus that's been "supposedly" "going out of business" for the past only-god-knows-how-many years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crafty bison)
    Any downsides to wide-collar shirts?
    Not really, as long as they're not extreme. There's a US basketball coach who wears ones that are completely horizontal, which isn't a good look.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.