Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need to buy two suits for (hopefully) less than around £500 each. Where would people recommend? I know that it depends massively on body shape etc. but I'm looking for classic, good quality suits rather than anything particularly fashionable.

Are there any good sales on at the minute?

ReputationRep:
    ^ Also looking to buy a couple of suits. Anyone recommend any designers who cater for slimmer fits/silhouettes? Ted Baker/Paul Smith etc

ReputationRep:
    For dirt cheap and very slim-fitting suits, go to Ben Sherman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PorcineAviation)
    Might get some dark brown suede brogues though.
    Found any nice ones, I'm looking at the moment..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samoan)
    Found any nice ones, I'm looking at the moment..
    All the Church's stalwarts are available in chocolate suede, e.g. http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/2567/16041512.png

And most of the other top shoe-makers (Drogue made a good list a few pages back) do some too.

ReputationRep:
    Would you predominately wear those with charcoal/grey suits? Can't see the navy/brown combo working too well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jf87)
    I need to buy two suits for (hopefully) less than around £500 each. Where would people recommend? I know that it depends massively on body shape etc. but I'm looking for classic, good quality suits rather than anything particularly fashionable.

Depends how quickly you need it. I used A Suit That Fits recently, fits like a dream, good material, cost £340 (but is cheaper if you knock off the custom options I went for) - but takes a few weeks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz313)
    Would you predominately wear those with charcoal/grey suits? Can't see the navy/brown combo working too well
    I wouldn't wear them with suits.

But a navy suit with dark brown shoes is pretty classic.

ReputationRep:

Classically American.. (Or consultants)

ReputationRep:

I'd wear with navy trousers, although I'm thinking of reconsidering given how many people are rocking the look round here (Mayfair)!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samoan)
    I'd wear with navy trousers, although I'm thinking of reconsidering given how many people are rocking the look round here (Mayfair)!!!
    Its a look id go if i were in Mayfair tbh. Nice understated belt (no not Hermes), nicely fitted white shirt. Navy/Stone Burberry trench/mac.

besides, PA reckons he can pull it off. I have my reservations..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jf87)

Ede and Ravenscroft have a sale on in about a month. I think last time it was two tropical wool suits for £595, plus an extra pair of trousers for each.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    Classically American.. (Or consultants)
    Yup. Navy/lighter gray suits go with brown shoes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    Its a look id go if i were in Mayfair tbh. Nice understated belt (no not Hermes), nicely fitted white shirt. Navy/Stone Burberry trench/mac.

besides, PA reckons he can pull it off. I have my reservations..
    I wouldn't put a belt with it. Firstly it's very hard to match the brown and anything else with crash, and secondly if I'm buying Church's I'd expect to have the money to wear suits that fit properly.

ReputationRep:
    Its generally said one should always wear a belt - where ones trousers have belt loops accommodating for this of course.

Also just as a add-on from this thread - I recently went to a hedgefund and the dress code was completly different. I was expecting this to be the case, but not to such extent. 99% of people were wearing normal jeans, a shirt and trainers/loafers - no suit jacket, no business shoes etc. Was a refreshing change to see, albeit a minority in the industry...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchild007)
    Its generally said one should always wear a belt - where ones trousers have belt loops accommodating for this of course.

Also just as a add-on from this thread - I recently went to a hedgefund and the dress code was completly different. I was expecting this to be the case, but not to such extent. 99% of people were wearing normal jeans, a shirt and trainers/loafers - no suit jacket, no business shoes etc. Was a refreshing change to see, albeit a minority in the industry...
    Hedge fund guys can wear what they want, as long as they get the job done well. It's only when they meet clients that they might need to throw on a suit & tie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxMaxMax)
    Hedge fund guys can wear what they want, as long as they get the job done well. It's only when they meet clients that they might need to throw on a suit & tie.
    Yeah, the guy I met was a quant (so doesn't really meet clients), but the entire office was like that - bar the receptionists and the security guy, who were the only ones wearing a smart suit ha

ReputationRep:
    Anyone bought a shirt/suit from Reiss? I've always liked their stuff but never owned anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    I wouldn't put a belt with it. Firstly it's very hard to match the brown and anything else with crash, and secondly if I'm buying Church's I'd expect to have the money to wear suits that fit properly.
    If you're online this evening Drogue...

Went shoe shopping today and could only find shoes I liked in Selfridges, elsewhere on Oxford st was a disaster. Trouble was there a bit dear in Selfridges.

Is there anywhere you'd recommend I go for a bargain? I may try the Charles T shop on Jermyn tomorrow. Anywhere else in that neck of the woods?

Secondly, the CT website claims the 100 quid Oxfords are reduced from 200. Is this TM lewin sale syndrome or a good deal?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchild007)
    It's also generally said that suits that fit shouldn't have belt loops.

(Original post by dalianatkinson)
    If you're online this evening Drogue...

Went shoe shopping today and could only find shoes I liked in Selfridges, elsewhere on Oxford st was a disaster. Trouble was there a bit dear in Selfridges.

Is there anywhere you'd recommend I go for a bargain? I may try the Charles T shop on Jermyn tomorrow. Anywhere else in that neck of the woods?

Secondly, the CT website claims the 100 quid Oxfords are reduced from 200. Is this TM lewin sale syndrome or a good deal?
    A bit of both. They're well made but they're not calf leather, so a good deal at £100 but not worth anywhere near £200. Their calf ones at £160 is pretty good value. A sale in John Lewis or Selfridges may be better value, as would be going to the factories or sales online, but they're not bad value at all.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.