Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Breadster™)
    thanks, I just realised I put the wrong one up though, I meant this one which is a little bit darker. What is up with the lapels on this?

I would personally avoid wearing peak lapels as they are usually for dinner jackets/blazers. Also go for a two-button jacket...unless you are looking for a night-out blazer.

Otherwise, a great looking suit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FifthQuarter)
    I would personally avoid wearing peak lapels as they are usually for dinner jackets/blazers.
    Or double-breasted suits. I'm actually quite a fan of a peak lapel on a single-breasted suit, however not ones that high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    Or double-breasted suits. I'm actually quite a fan of a peak lapel on a single-breasted suit, however not ones that high.
    right. you would want to avoid it in any case if it's intended for your work attire.

ReputationRep:
    CT sale now has plenty of shirts from £19.95 at www.ctshirts.co.uk if anyone's interested.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please upload a pic/pic link of an 'ideal' dark grey suit that would be suitable for FO IBD/M&A please? That would help me out slot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LSEactuary)
    Can someone please upload a pic/pic link of an 'ideal' suit that would be suitable for FO IBD/M&A please? That would help me out slot!
    http://struts.co.uk/party-fancy-dres..._id=2497&ref=1

ReputationRep:
    Business Casual - are we looking at a Suit minus a tie...or perhaps Chinos/shirt/tie/jacket? Or either?

Opinions?

ReputationRep:
    I always take it to mean suit, no tie. Right now I've even got my sleeves rolled up.

Get on the party boat.

ReputationRep:
    Depends where you work, Ibank, I would say Shirt no tie, maybe a jumper and shirt in Winter....if you work in Mayfair, deck shoes, chinos, boater, hankerchief, monocle etc

(see some very funny looking people round here!!)

ReputationRep:
    as for watches...i know has been covered, but opinions...

http://watchfinder.co.uk/Tag-Heuer/A...571-watch.aspx

i think it's a smart, sporty watch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangst)
    as for watches...i know has been covered, but opinions...

http://watchfinder.co.uk/Tag-Heuer/A...571-watch.aspx

i think it's a smart, sporty watch.
    I like.

Personally, though, for that kind of dosh I would get an Omega Seamaster. (though I think I would feel a bit of a douche wearing a 300m waterproof watch around the office...)

ReputationRep:
    LOL!!!! Yep I bet that would make a clear entrance...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Breadster™)
    Is this dark charcoal too dark? It's edging on black.
    (Original post by onthecoast)
    The colour is fine but the glove pocket is really not great. Only very nice bespoke suits can pull off a glove pocket. Never seen it done well otherwise.
    Agreed.

The finer material used in bespoke is the only material which can really pull off a ticket pocket on the outside - for example in the picture quoted by the OP above, the ticket pocket should actually be half the length or shorter of the pocket below it (after all, the only purpose of a ticket pocket is to hold tickets etc). That suit just looks daft (or painfully 'wannbe bespoke' to put it another way) in the way it is.

Moreover, when ticket pockets are used, it is usually matched with hacking pockets (that's where ticket pockets originally came from after all).

ReputationRep:
    I will be heading to London to the day to look for a couple of suits in the 300-600 price range, apart from the obvious e.g Selfridges where would be the best places to look?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simon123)
    I will be heading to London to the day to look for a couple of suits in the 300-600 price range, apart from the obvious e.g Selfridges where would be the best places to look?

Thanks
    This question has been asked and answered 2 or 3 times in the last couple of weeks in this thread. Just read a page or two back.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please provide a link to a suitable 'dark grey' colour that's suitable for IB - in other words - how dark/light can they grey be for it to be acceptable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LSEactuary)
    Can someone please provide a link to a suitable 'dark grey' colour that's suitable for IB - in other words - how dark/light can they grey be for it to be acceptable?
    Anything you look at and go "that's dark grey" is fine. Anything that looks black isn't and anything that looks light grey is harder to pull off.

ReputationRep:
    With regards to Cad & The Dandy, I have just been for my first fitting for a 2 piece full canvas bespoke suit. The service and attention to detail is brilliant. However, this is my first bespoke suit so I have nothing to compare to; except I can tell you that even at this stage I can tell it wil fit and look much better than any off the rack, obviously this has come at a price.

My advise would be if you can only afford off the rack, then get it tailored by a local tailor; I think spending £300 and £100 on tailoring will produce a much better result than just buying a £400-£600 OTR suit. The amount of new starters I see at work (Big4 not IB) who have spent hundred on a labelled suit that doesn't fit properly is unbelievable, they would have looked better getting a ASDA suit altered to fit them.

If you do go for asuitthatfit, C&TD etc, make sure you go to them and get measured; C&TD advise you do this; having been measured by them I am certain they did a much better job than if I had got my girlfriend to do it.

I think when looking at entry level MTM/potentially bespoke, ie C&TD asuitthatfits, go to the shop and speak to them; I found that C&TD were alot more knowledgeable (they are pricey, mine is costing £940) and is being completely handmade in England, whereas other send them to Nepal and China to be stitched/basted. I also spoke to the cutter at C&TD, Jon DeBoise, he is Saville Row trained and very knowledgeable.

One final thought about C&TD, there is mixed opinion online, particularly on Style forum, however these are mainly Americans who have measured themselves (badly) who need alterations etc, at the end of the day a MTM/bespoke suit will need at least one fitting session, so what were they expecting really?

Freeagent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freeagent)
    With regards to Cad & The Dandy, I have just been for my first fitting for a 2 piece full canvas bespoke suit. The service and attention to detail is brilliant. However, this is my first bespoke suit so I have nothing to compare to; except I can tell you that even at this stage I can tell it wil fit and look much better than any off the rack, obviously this has come at a price.

My advise would be if you can only afford off the rack, then get it tailored by a local tailor; I think spending £300 and £100 on tailoring will produce a much better result than just buying a £400-£600 OTR suit. The amount of new starters I see at work (Big4 not IB) who have spent hundred on a labelled suit that doesn't fit properly is unbelievable, they would have looked better getting a ASDA suit altered to fit them.

If you do go for asuitthatfit, C&TD etc, make sure you go to them and get measured; C&TD advise you do this; having been measured by them I am certain they did a much better job than if I had got my girlfriend to do it.

I think when looking at entry level MTM/potentially bespoke, ie C&TD asuitthatfits, go to the shop and speak to them; I found that C&TD were alot more knowledgeable (they are pricey, mine is costing £940) and is being completely handmade in England, whereas other send them to Nepal and China to be stitched/basted. I also spoke to the cutter at C&TD, Jon DeBoise, he is Saville Row trained and very knowledgeable.

One final thought about C&TD, there is mixed opinion online, particularly on Style forum, however these are mainly Americans who have measured themselves (badly) who need alterations etc, at the end of the day a MTM/bespoke suit will need at least one fitting session, so what were they expecting really?

Freeagent
    Great post, thanks for sharing.

How come the suit is so much? (though I'm sure it'll be worth it). I thought you could pick one up starting from as low as £350, though perhaps that's if you do the measuring yourself. Also how long does the whole process take?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freeagent)

Freeagent

Cad & Dandy is definitely MTM, not bespoke (even if you choose the full canvass / hand stitching option, it is still not considered "bespoke"), so I would avoid using that word...just so that we don't confuse others.

Otherwise a great post. Thanks. Please post some photos here when you get your order back from C&D. Would love to see 'em.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.