Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johan C)
    This has to be the most cringeworthy aspect of IB ; I guess when you have that much money and spend that much time in the office, choice of tie, suit and shoes (most boring part by far) becomes essential.
    You're right, only bankers care about fashion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    They care about fashion more than your average heterosexual male professionnal. Happy now ?

ReputationRep:
    They care about fashion more than your average heterosexual male professionnal. Happy now ?
    No, it's still not true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    No, it's still not true.
    Well, I disagree. Let's leave it at that.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone having trouble ironing, little trick I've learnt, always iron your shirt when they're still a bit damp - and never tumble dry them, then it become easy five of my shirts ironed last night in about 10/15 minutes...no point wasting time and money on getting them laundered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samoan)
    Everyone having trouble ironing, little trick I've learnt, always iron your shirt when they're still a bit damp - and never tumble dry them, then it become easy five of my shirts ironed last night in about 10/15 minutes...no point wasting time and money on getting them laundered.
    You can also remove creases by hanging them up in the bathroom when you're showering. Good ole steam

ReputationRep:
    This thread is funny. Noone really cares about this, as long as you don't seem dressed really badly.

ReputationRep:
    What a ridiculous statement to make - go to any individual in the City who isn't fresh out of university, and you'll find a lot of people care about how they look.

It may not be the majority of the City (shame really), but it certainly isn't confined to one single profession.

Wanting a suit that fits well and indeed caring about types of shoe/shirt etc one may wear, may not be to your taste, but there are plenty of people who think exactly the opposite - heck, there is an entire industry dedicated to it in the form of Saville Row.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    It's probably more the case that only bankers can afford to care enough about fashion to buy the best tailored/bespoke suits and most expensive shoes. Other fashion-interested grads (e.g. those who did pretend 'degrees' at fashion colleges) have to make do with regular clothes, while bankers can actually afford the high-end fashion others covet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxMaxMax)
    It's probably more the case that only bankers can afford to care enough about fashion to buy the best tailored/bespoke suits and most expensive shoes. Other fashion-interested grads (e.g. those who did pretend 'degrees' at fashion colleges) have to make do with regular clothes, while bankers can actually afford the high-end fashion others covet.
    Possibly so. Though neither Drogue nor I are bankers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    Possibly so. Though neither Drogue nor I are bankers
    Well, maybe for 'bankers' read 'those working in finance'

ReputationRep:
    FYI: Thomas Pink is on sale. Their trousers are now reasonably priced (even cheaper than those of TM Lewin). Others are still overpriced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchild007)
    What a ridiculous statement to make - go to any individual in the City who isn't fresh out of university, and you'll find a lot of people care about how they look.

It may not be the majority of the City (shame really), but it certainly isn't confined to one single profession.

Wanting a suit that fits well and indeed caring about types of shoe/shirt etc one may wear, may not be to your taste, but there are plenty of people who think exactly the opposite - heck, there is an entire industry dedicated to it in the form of Saville Row.
    Exactly my point... Fine, not just bankers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxMaxMax)
    Heave.

ReputationRep:
    As it stands, I'll be starting my consulting job with two good black pairs of brogues, and nothing else really wearable footwear-wise. Will this do, or should I look at investing in a third pair and rotating more sparingly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crafty bison)
    As it stands, I'll be starting my consulting job with two good black pairs of brogues, and nothing else really wearable footwear-wise. Will this do, or should I look at investing in a third pair and rotating more sparingly?
    i get a pair of oxfords...for one of the more modern oxfords, you could also wear it with chinos, shirt and blazer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crafty bison)
    All I can say is start wearing them in weeks before you actually start...

I didn't do this, and now have blisters the size of my foot, even courtesy of a very respectable shoe brand. I'm telling myself the leather will get soft at some point... ha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrubsnamesake)
    Heave.
    Heave? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimi Haze)
    All I can say is start wearing them in weeks before you actually start...

I didn't do this, and now have blisters the size of my foot, even courtesy of a very respectable shoe brand. I'm telling myself the leather will get soft at some point... ha

you could: commute to work wearing sneakers / the same going back, and leave your dress shoes at office.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    Harvie & Hudson would be my recommendation, though Charles Tyrwhitt are pretty reasonable, even HM Lewin if you go for their nicer ranges..
    How do Harvie & Hudson shirts fit? I can only go by the measurements on their website, and even the slim fit ones don't seem that slim. While I'm not interested in the super slim fit that seems to be all the rage I don't like blousey shirts either.

It's interesting that TM Lewin gets crapped on a lot here yet are fairly well respected (for their price) on Style Forum and AAAC.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.