Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Citing Accenture as a benchmark for City fashion is like assessing the attractiveness of female pop stars by masturbating over Susan Boyle. Black suits don't even give me a semi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bramlow)
    Citing Accenture as a benchmark for City fashion is like assessing the attractiveness of female pop stars by masturbating over Susan Boyle. Black suits don't even give me a semi.
    As if you wouldn't rag Boyle for a laugh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    As if you wouldn't rag Boyle for a laugh?
    I would definitely shag Boyle for the jokes. No doubt about it.

But then I'd probably intern at Accenture for career progression. It doesn't mean I'd want to work there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bramlow)
    But then I'd probably intern at Accenture for career progression. It doesn't mean I'd want to work there.
    An Accenture internship offers career progression?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PorcineAviation)
    An Accenture internship offers career progression?
    I think the analogy holds.

People do them with the intention of career progression, though that may not be the outcome.

People may do Susan Boyle for the jokes, but the joke would really be on them.

ReputationRep:
    If they're for doormen and funerals... then why are they so abundantly marketed? I am not denying those roles would require a black suit, but I personally think some navy suits are loathsome and disgusting. I can accept that certain people have no taste for a black a suit, but I will not accept that you are roundly frowned upon by some secret, city brotherhood for not adhering to the ancient scrolls commanding 'thou shalt not wear a black suit for work in the city'.

It is not that I do not appreciate fashion, and even specific city fashion. But I simply do not accept that there are rules of engagement relating to the colouration of suits. At the end of the day, it should be a matter of quality, style and overall look... not abritrary and archaic rules perpetuated by some pseudo-Bateman's who've lost the thread of why they wanted to work in their industry to begin with.

Wear what you're comfortable in and what you want to for **** sake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Accenture.... wearing a jet black suit.
    Accenture... that explains the lack of taste.

ReputationRep:
    If they're for doormen and funerals... then why are they so abundantly marketed? I am not denying those roles would require a black suit, but I personally think some navy suits are loathsome and disgusting. I can accept that certain people have no taste for a black a suit, but I will not accept that you are roundly frowned upon by some secret, city brotherhood for not adhering to the ancient scrolls commanding 'thou shalt not wear a black suit for work in the city'.

It is not that I do not appreciate fashion, and even specific city fashion. But I simply do not accept that there are rules of engagement relating to the colouration of suits. At the end of the day, it should be a matter of quality, style and overall look... not abritrary and archaic rules perpetuated by some pseudo-Bateman's who've lost the thread of why they wanted to work in their industry to begin with.

Wear what you're comfortable in and what you want to for **** sake.
    I assume you'll be buying lime green and ferrari red suits next then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    I assume you'll be buying lime green and ferrari red suits next then?
    Funny as that riposte is, almost certainly not. As I said, it's about the overall look and how it matches the person.

Right now I own only a bullet grey and a very dark navy suit (with blue pinstripes).

Off to buy another suit and hopefully some brogues/cufflinks.

ReputationRep:
    Funny as that riposte is, almost certainly not. As I said, it's about the overall look and how it matches the person.

Right now I own only a bullet grey and a very dark navy suit (with blue pinstripes).

Off to buy another suit and hopefully some brogues/cufflinks.
    Clearly there are rules about the "colouration" of suits, then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    Clearly there are rules about the "colouration" of suits, then.
    Only the ones you set yourself, based on your personal tastes.

While I would recoil in a bit of shock if someone wandered into the office adorning a delicious lime green, I would respect them for being a bit of an individual and providing they had done it because they wanted to, as opposed to wanting to appear 'different' in some more manufactured approach, envy their guile.

FYI I would wear a black suit and think nothing of it. Hell, I wear my ugly face and my enormous belly every day without further consideration for their impact. I think very little of people who favour style over substance and delivery, really.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair I think the black suit thing is quite true - during the first week there's no one really at all wearing black suits on our floor (GCIB) at BofAML; however I've got one which is a backup to my main one and wouldn't really have too much of a problem wearing one, besides most of the time around the office your jacket seems to be off so it's not something that's too concerning. I think so long as you're careful with the shirt and tie combo you'll generally look alright - it's just finding stuff that is wearable with such things can be a bit of an issue. That said, I am looking into investing in a charcoal one at some point...if I can be bothered to get myself down into that area of town.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to suggest you're wrong, because I know you to be a very smart and clued up guy... but there are 13 of the 24 male analysts in my consulting start group who wore black suits today.

Grey suits are generally second most popular... but it seems the whole faux pas thing may not exist in the consulting world so much!
    Wait until they've been there a year, and I'd be shocked if half the group are still wearing black suits. In many industries where dress doesn't matter at all, obviously it'd be fine, and perhaps with the kind of tech stuff Accenture does that's the case, however I'd be shocked if a consultancy is happy with it's staff making what many senior people in industry would see as a faux pas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbtommyb)
    How do Harvie & Hudson shirts fit? I can only go by the measurements on their website, and even the slim fit ones don't seem that slim. While I'm not interested in the super slim fit that seems to be all the rage I don't like blousey shirts either.
    The slim fit ones aren't blousy, but as you say, aren't that slim fit either. The classic ones can be a bit blousy, but most people who shop in Jermyn Street aren't going to be particularly thin, hence using slim fit as a slightly slimmer fit for 'normal'-sized people who want a slightly slimmer fit, rather than for slim people.

(Original post by tbtommyb)
    It's interesting that TM Lewin gets crapped on a lot here yet are fairly well respected (for their price) on Style Forum and AAAC.
    AAAC and Style Forum are largely American. TM Lewin aren't that bad, especially at ~£25 a shirt you can get them for, but they're just not as good as other Jermyn Street producers and you can get H&H and CT for very little more. I have TM Lewin shirts I'm perfectly happy with, but with CT now having a shop in Canary Wharf, I no longer have a reason to ever buy anymore.

ReputationRep:
    How about these Alfred Sargents?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxMaxMax)
    How about these Alfred Sargents?
    I love them. Wholecuts are a pretty old-fashioned style, but exactly my sort of thing. Not many shoemakers do them anymore, but Alfred Sargent do quite a bit. Sadly they don't have a factory shop or I'd be getting a few pairs (their Pall Mall and Milton are also wholecuts, IIRC, though the C&J Rosemoor's I have are a bit similar to the Milton).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    I love them. Wholecuts are a pretty old-fashioned style, but exactly my sort of thing. Not many shoemakers do them anymore, but Alfred Sargent do quite a bit. Sadly they don't have a factory shop or I'd be getting a few pairs (their Pall Mall and Milton are also wholecuts, IIRC, though the C&J Rosemoor's I have are a bit similar to the Milton).
    They are a nice pair of shoes, but they do seem to be an internet-only place I prefer to go into the shop and try them on tbh. They are a tad pricy too, I mean they're priced up there with Church's, are they really comparable?

ReputationRep:
    They are a nice pair of shoes, but they do seem to be an internet-only place I prefer to go into the shop and try them on tbh. They are a tad pricy too, I mean they're priced up there with Church's, are they really comparable?
    Yes. Indeed, I'd argue they're better, from my limited knowledge. Anyone who shares a factory with Gaziano & Girling has to have some serious quality. Though not quite the quality (or price) of G&G, John Lobb or Edward Green.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh they're nice, but I wouldn't ever buy a pair of shoes (especially for that money) without trying them on first..

My Church's are FINALLY starting to be broken in; so they're not ridiculously painful to walk in ha.

ReputationRep:
    So, TM Lewin or Charles Tyrwhitt shirts for a 6'3 slim built male?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.