Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    So, TM Lewin or Charles Tyrwhitt shirts for a 6'3 slim built male?
    Lanky ******* :p:

ReputationRep:
    So, TM Lewin or Charles Tyrwhitt shirts for a 6'3 slim built male?
    Height's irrelevant, how slim a fit you want would depend on how thin you are compared to how thin your neck is. They should all be long enough for someone who's 6'3"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    Height's irrelevant, how slim a fit you want would depend on how thin you are compared to how thin your neck is. They should all be long enough for someone who's 6'3"
    15.5, 39.

Length is no problem, it's just that the 'normal' shirts make my sides look like a sail. I need shirts to be tapered at the waist and since I'll be needing about 4 of them I'd ideally like to know which of TML or CT are the best? Or any other cotton shirts in the 20-25 range.

I'll probably be getting my shirts dry-cleaned, but out of interest, what are the disadvantages of non-iron shirts?

ReputationRep:
    15.5, 39.

Length is no problem, it's just that the 'normal' shirts make my sides look like a sail. I need shirts to be tapered at the waist and since I'll be needing about 4 of them I'd ideally like to know which of TML or CT are the best? Or any other cotton shirts in the 20-25 range.
    Any slim fit should be ok. Neither TML nor CT's slim fit are that slim, though TML's are slightly slimmer. CT's Black Label are the best, being a very slim fit and beautifully made, however they're not in the 4-for-£100 range, tending to work out at around twice that.

I'll probably be getting my shirts dry-cleaned, but out of interest, what are the disadvantages of non-iron shirts?
    Choice, price and the fabric can seem not as nice and wear differently.

ReputationRep:
    Any slim fit should be ok. Neither TML nor CT's slim fit are that slim, though TML's are slightly slimmer. CT's Black Label are the best, being a very slim fit and beautifully made, however they're not in the 4-for-£100 range, tending to work out at around twice that.

Choice, price and the fabric can seem not as nice and wear differently.
    Thanks. I'm at that stage where having 3 year old shirts just doesn't cut it any more, so I'm looking to up-market my current collection with some fine, yet within £25, classic shirts.

Do you know any good (or any) shirt shops in CW? I live near there and will probably walk up to the shopping centre for a browse.

Also, I've heard that Turnbull & Asser do MTM shirts, how much are they roughly, what are their general quality, and on the whole would they be worth it?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I'm at that stage where having 3 year old shirts just doesn't cut it any more, so I'm looking to up-market my current collection with some fine, yet within £25, classic shirts.

Do you know any good (or any) shirt shops in CW? I live near there and will probably walk up to the shopping centre for a browse.
    TML, CT and Pink, though I find the latter overpriced.

Also, I've heard that Turnbull & Asser do MTM shirts, how much are they roughly, what are their general quality, and on the whole would they be worth it?
    Lots, very good, and yes if you're earning lots of money. Their off the peg ones are around £100 IIRC, so MTM will be much more.

Off the peg was 120 when I got mine.

If going down the MTM/Bespoke route with T&A cost can go quite high if you ask for silk button threads and so on. Only way to know is to investigate against what you want. Starting point was once 150 and minimum order is 6.

ReputationRep:
    Turnbull & Asser's quality control is an in-joke among Savile Row/Jermyn Street apprentices. Sleeves not even pattern-matched etc.

Kilgour off the peg. New & Lingwood bespoke.

ReputationRep:
    Where to get a smart-looking, good quality wallet?

ReputationRep:
    Bally.

I have a Zegna wallet, it's praise winningly good looking.

ReputationRep:
    I just use a Ted Baker credit card holder. I very rarely use cash so I find that a big wallet is unnecessary.

I have recently bought quite a few Reiss shirts in the sale. Went to all the standard places looking for shirts and couldn't find anything remotely wearable tbh.

I probably went a bit overboard on gingham though.

ReputationRep:
    I don't use anything in the summer. I don't want my suits or jackets having an unsightly bulges from the pockets, so I just keep a few cards and some cash loose. When I'm wearing a coat I use a thin wallet, which I think came from a leather crafts shop. I find most wallets much of a muchness, so tend to go for plain, thin ones made of nice leather. Having said that, I haven't seen the magic of Ben's wallet yet, so I may recind that when I see it...

(Original post by paddy)
    I probably went a bit overboard on gingham though.
    Any gingham is overboard.

I don't use anything in the summer. I don't want my suits or jackets having an unsightly bulges from the pockets, so I just keep a few cards and some cash loose. When I'm wearing a coat I use a thin wallet, which I think came from a leather crafts shop. I find most wallets much of a muchness, so tend to go for plain, thin ones made of nice leather. Having said that, I haven't seen the magic of Ben's wallet yet, so I may recind that when I see it...
    When sat it on my desk at work, it got some style points (which wasn't that hard given that I was working with traders all the time).

It's quite a peculiar wallet because it has a coin holder which only ever holds one coin.

It's in great shape for 18 months of use.

ReputationRep:
    Wallets spoil the line of the suit - credit card holders are the way forward, how much do you need to carry other than a few cards?

Recommend Dunhill, Mulberry and Cartier - expect to pay between £60 and £300...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    When sat it on my desk at work, it got some style points (which wasn't that hard given that I was working with traders all the time).

It's quite a peculiar wallet because it has a coin holder which only ever holds one coin.

It's in great shape for 18 months of use.
    Pic?

E323A_SCA_BOR on the Zegna website. Accessories, leather goods, naturally.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not blown away by it to be honest, but the Zegna has never been high on my list of favourite brands, I find them a bit..meh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gekko Was Innocent)
    Wallets spoil the line of the suit - credit card holders are the way forward, how much do you need to carry other than a few cards?
    I always feel awkward paying on card in bars/pubs, plus there's usually a minimum charge and sometimes an additional fee. Do you not feel a bit, I don't know, vulnerable without any cash on you? I feel weird if I know I don't have any money!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.