Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by donaldduck)
    Fair enough if you want something with vivid patterns etc

What I meant was I hope I never get to the point of needing plain socks and thinking the only socks I could possibly buy are branded!
    Read the whole of LSO.

I think it's after getting into PE that the discussions of various designer socks gets turned into a brief but clear anecdote.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, internet time in August is not really frowned up too hard...

edit: and I'm buyside not IBD.

ReputationRep:
    Why are TM Lewin suits hated? They seem to fit me very well when I tried one on a previous suit shopping excursion...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicko88)
    Why are TM Lewin suits hated? They seem to fit me very well when I tried one on a previous suit shopping excursion...
    They're not hated, they're just correctly priced at their sale price, which isn't that great a suit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    They're not hated, they're just correctly priced at their sale price, which isn't that great a suit.
    Thanks for the clarification. Has anyone had any experience with Simon Carter suits?

ReputationRep:
    Just need some advice regarding buying shoes. I've had a look at a few opinions earlier on in the thread, just hoping to get some more.

I was looking at getting two pairs of Loake brogues. Price wise i'm looking at around that level (120-140 per pair). Is there anything better quality for the same sort of price level? Fitwise, i've got quite wide feet, and i've heard Loake's fit is slightly wider than other brands as well, can anyone confirm? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parrotman)
    Just need some advice regarding buying shoes. I've had a look at a few opinions earlier on in the thread, just hoping to get some more.

I was looking at getting two pairs of Loake brogues. Price wise i'm looking at around that level (120-140 per pair). Is there anything better quality for the same sort of price level? Fitwise, i've got quite wide feet, and i've heard Loake's fit is slightly wider than other brands as well, can anyone confirm? Thanks!
    All decent brands do different widths, so it shouldn't be an issue. For that money I'd probably have a look in Charles Tyrwhitt sale, but Loake's aren't that bad.

How are they still running a sale? Sounds like they're on the ropes as a business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    All decent brands do different widths, so it shouldn't be an issue. For that money I'd probably have a look in Charles Tyrwhitt sale, but Loake's aren't that bad.
    I have a pair of brogues from Loakes, they look mint and they're good quality. Can't really comment on comfort because I've only worn them a handful of times since I'm a student with a rare need for wearing shoes. All in all, for a budget (compared to Church's) pair of hand-made shoes, I think they're great. Look far better than the kind of horrid shoes people buy off the peg at various high-street stores for the same price too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnisaurusrex)
    I have a pair of brogues from Loakes, they look mint and they're good quality. Can't really comment on comfort because I've only worn them a handful of times since I'm a student with a rare need for wearing shoes. All in all, for a budget (compared to Church's) pair of hand-made shoes, I think they're great. Look far better than the kind of horrid shoes people buy off the peg at various high-street stores for the same price too.
    Unless you paid over £1000 for them your Loakes are most likely 'off-the-peg' too

ReputationRep:
    Tried on both Charles Tyrewhitt and Loakes, and ended up getting two Loakes. One pair of slip ons (they seriously fit like bedroom slippers) and one brogue (again fitting perfectly). Charles Tyrewhitt was good, but since I have quite wide feet the shoes they had didn't fit perfectly. That and the fact that both the Loakes were sub £90.

ReputationRep:
    Boggi make awesome shirts.. i was looking at their extreme cutaway collar double-cuff ones. prices are 70-90 quid.

Extreme cutaway collar?!

The estate agent vibes are too much for me.

ReputationRep:
    seeing a thread with 48 pages about what to wear has made me think this is not the industry i want to go in to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    Extreme cutaway collar?!

Makes me think of this guy:

(Original post by chris_fc)
    seeing a thread with 48 pages about what to wear has made me think this is not the industry i want to go in to
    So you'll choose your career based on whether a few people, most of whom don't work in banking, like talking about clothes?

ReputationRep:
    In wall street2, the main guy who was the "villain" has a shirt that has interesting collars. what style of shirt was that? the collar were more wide..

EDIT: i take it its te extreme cut away collar shirts then.. a guy at my bank has those shirts..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    Extreme cutaway collar?!

I'll have to learn to live with the shame.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me what the general consensus on cufflinks is. I'll be working in M&A next September and have no idea about these sorts of things. Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moclov)
    Can someone tell me what the general consensus on cufflinks is. I'll be working in M&A next September and have no idea about these sorts of things. Cheers
    Being a bit smarter, double cuffs and cufflinks are good with a suit. You can pretty much go for whatever links you like, but if you're worried something in plain silver would draw the least attention.

ReputationRep:
    How much is a good amount to spend on a suit?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.