Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Oh and just for the sake of it. There's nothing hotter than seeing a guy in a really well fitting suit - hotness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by econgirl)
    Oh and just for the sake of it. There's nothing hotter than seeing a guy in a really well fitting suit - hotness.
    Even if he looks like this?

I dont even think a Ralph Black Label could help some people.

ReputationRep:
    Lol...that's pretty accurate. I've never seen anyone in a suit, much less a tie. And as for casual Friday's it not all that casual. You can have the top button of your shirt undone that's it. Summer wardrobe is a little more relaxed, we would get a memo saying what we could and could not wear. Boy could wear chino's and a smart RL polo. If you have tat's you can forget the RL polo. Girls, no exposed shoulders, no low cut tops...no messy hair. You had to be presentable.

As for the person above who asked about girls and what they wear in IB. I used to wear smart tops, nice trousers [J Crew/Banana Republic], nice heels [my boss preferred it], or nice flats [shoes were either Christian Louboutin, Calvin Klien, Missoni in the summer etc etc], minimal jewelery simple silver ring and pearl earrings, nice watch. Always immaculate turned out. Nice hair, nice nails, nice make-up, clear skin. Appearance matters a s*** load. So you better get ready to look after your self. I worked on the floor though and it was typical to see all the girls turned out nicely. It you worked in some of the other departments it was more casual.
    lol, they certainly make you earn the money. I've heard from my cousin (IB'er) that the 12 hour days really mean that you become quite damn out of shape/unhealthy and as a result problems arise after several years with stress etc too? Is it a myth that a lot of Ib'ers drop out relatively quickly?

ReputationRep:
    A bright neon pink tutu with matching leg warmers. That is all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    Even if he looks like this?

I dont even think a Ralph Black Label could help some people.
    Lol...you might be right. Let me rephrase if you look like a A&F model and you then wear a suit = hotness. I think that's better!

ReputationRep:
    Lol...you might be right. Let me rephrase if you look like a A&F model and you then wear a suit = hotness. I think that's better!
    Reckon *many* A&F models (ie, the ones that just stand there at the door 'greeting' you) have the brains to pass numericals let alone actually work in an IB? Btw, that shop is so. very. offensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YL_LDN)
    lol, they certainly make you earn the money. I've heard from my cousin (IB'er) that the 12 hour days really mean that you become quite damn out of shape/unhealthy and as a result problems arise after several years with stress etc too? Is it a myth that a lot of Ib'ers drop out relatively quickly?
    I'm actually a Brit. I interned on Wall Street, but yeah they make you work your backside off and that's no joke. Most people fit in a gym session during lunch [if you get one that is...analysts won't if you work on the floor] or after work. Appearance is everything you're expected to look well presented and take care of yourself. I'm not sure what the drop out rate is but it's no walk in the park and the atmosphere on Wall Street in my honest opinion is a lot more aggressive and abrasive than here in London. And the stress is immense. You either learn to cope with it or you find a new career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    Reckon *many* A&F models (ie, the ones that just stand there at the door 'greeting' you) have the brains to pass numericals let alone actually work in an IB? Btw, that shop is so. very. offensive.
    Maybe, maybe not. But I did say "look like an A&F model" not actually be an A&F model. Although to be fair I've met a few people in IB who have really made me question the screening process.

Why do you find A&F offensive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    The three people that I know work there in the holidays are at Oxford, Durham and Warwick...

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually a Brit. I interned on Wall Street, but yeah they make you work your backside off and that's no joke. Most people fit in a gym session during lunch [if you get one that is...analysts won't if you work on the floor] or after work. Appearance is everything you're expected to look well presented and take care of yourself. I'm not sure what the drop out rate is but it's no walk in the park and the atmosphere on Wall Street in my honest opinion is a lot more aggressive and abrasive than here in London. And the stress is immense. You either learn to cope with it or you find a new career.
    I'd imagine so, Wall Street is more raw from what i've been researching. Oh, why didn't you intern in the UK? I'm looking to intern abroad too because i fell below the grades i needed for Newcastle Uni Law (got ABB but they let me in because i had 2 operations on the lung just before the exams and i literally walked in half dead to sit them lmao). Would you say if i got a first at Law they'd overlook my A-levels?

I'm fluent in Mandarin/Cantonese, if that helps lol.

ReputationRep:
    I find it hilarious that you guys are going into these finance jobs and still don't realise that you are paying for the brand name and not the quality.

If you think of the manufacturing cost of the product, then the reason the price is so high is because you can see people like Jude Law etc wearing the clothes and watches. Rolex are a good example of this.

Check out this place if you want a high quality watch, just as good as a Rolex but a lot cheaper,

http://www.christopherward.co.uk/men/dress/c5.html

They use the same 25 jewel movement (for auto’s) and the highest quality materials.

Before you speculate I do not work for that company and I am envious that you guys are heading into jobs I so desperately wanted. The blue Aquascutum suit was nice, Slaters used to sell similar for £300, adjusted for free and I do own one. They still sell the shirts for £35.

You guys should be concentrating on the changing paradigm within Financial markets and not the nature that Adam Smith wrote about that put us into recession in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PorterhouseBlue)
    The three people that I know work there in the holidays are at Oxford, Durham and Warwick...
    This is why i said *many* in asterisks. And its something very different to work there as a shop assistant and be one of the models. I know loads of people that work that, who keep their clothes on, and are incredibly clever.

The clothes dont offend me, just the shop. I dont fancy going shopping down on Bond St in the middle of the day to be greeted by shirtless blokes (that admittedly make most blokes feel a wee bit inferior) opening the door to a shop that sounds like ive just stepped into a student night at Fabric. Offensive.

Btw, its gone far too off topic. :-/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PorcineAviation)
    How would it be tax free?
    Since it is considered as relocation fee. Unless your contract does not state that.

HMRC: "If your employer helps you to move home because of your job, any payments you receive, or any goods or services provided for you, are treated as part of your earnings for tax and NICs purposes. However, the first £8,000 of any help you get from your employer is exempt from tax and NICs as long as certain conditions are met."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neocortex)
    Since it is considered as relocation fee. Unless your contract does not state that.

HMRC: "If your employer helps you to move home because of your job, any payments you receive, or any goods or services provided for you, are treated as part of your earnings for tax and NICs purposes. However, the first £8,000 of any help you get from your employer is exempt from tax and NICs as long as certain conditions are met."
    including relocations on intern contracts? youre telling me that the £2k that barcap give me on may 23rd wont have 400 quid taken away from it by the nasty taxman?

ReputationRep:
    Damn, my current suit collection consists of a couple of ill-fitting M&S suits.

I'm gonna have to spend a serious amount of cash that I don't have.....bad times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    including relocations on intern contracts? youre telling me that the £2k that barcap give me on may 23rd wont have 400 quid taken away from it by the nasty taxman?
    Yes if thats what they state in the contract as relocation fee. basically:

"You can qualify for the exemption if

•you have to move home to
    - take up a new job with a new employer
    - take up a new job with your existing employer
    - continue your current job but at a new location
    •your existing home is not within reasonable daily travelling distance of your new workplace
    •the home you move to is within reasonable daily travelling distance of your new workplace
    •your employer reimburses your expenses.

But, if your employer pays you a sum of money that you can use as you wish, no exemption will be available. The full amount would be chargeable to tax and NICs"

thats why they state relocation money, RBS probably didn't do their homework in this as they reward FO markets people with 10k signing bonus... fail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neocortex)
    Yes if thats what they state in the contract as relocation fee. basically:

"You can qualify for the exemption if

•you have to move home to
    - take up a new job with a new employer
    - take up a new job with your existing employer
    - continue your current job but at a new location
    •your existing home is not within reasonable daily travelling distance of your new workplace
    •the home you move to is within reasonable daily travelling distance of your new workplace
    •your employer reimburses your expenses.

But, if your employer pays you a sum of money that you can use as you wish, no exemption will be available. The full amount would be chargeable to tax and NICs"

thats why they state relocation money, RBS probably didn't do their homework in this as they reward FO markets people with 10k signing bonus... fail
    Or a cunning government ploy to get the bonus money straight back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YL_LDN)
    I'd imagine so, Wall Street is more raw from what i've been researching. Oh, why didn't you intern in the UK? I'm looking to intern abroad too because i fell below the grades i needed for Newcastle Uni Law (got ABB but they let me in because i had 2 operations on the lung just before the exams and i literally walked in half dead to sit them lmao). Would you say if i got a first at Law they'd overlook my A-levels?

I'm fluent in Mandarin/Cantonese, if that helps lol.
    Raw isn't the half of it. It's a tough environment to be in, but I'm sure some places on this side of the Atlantic are just as rough. I always wanted to like in the States, good opportunity came so I took it. I'm going to move back at some point within the next year or so because I like living there.

Regarding your other question, I'm of the opinion that anything is possible provided you work hard enough. If you can't get what you want one way try something else. Some of the other guys around here will be better versed to advise you compared to me. There's also a sticky on this sub forum that you can ask those kinds of questions in. But you're obvious and biggest problem will be getting through the initial screening process for most Graduate programmes, although I'm sure they'd take your medical situation in to consideration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    The clothes dont offend me, just the shop. I dont fancy going shopping down on Bond St in the middle of the day to be greeted by shirtless blokes (that admittedly make most blokes feel a wee bit inferior) opening the door to a shop that sounds like ive just stepped into a student night at Fabric. Offensive.

Btw, its gone far too off topic. :-/
    Hahaha, no point feeling inferior. Just need to have confidence in yourself. None of the A&F stores I've been in had the shirtless guys opening the door, I feel like I've missed out. Might have to go pay a maiden visit to the one on Bond St.

To get it back on topic...I'm of the opinion that the girls in IB should always always wear nice shoes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The IC Guy)
    Or a cunning government ploy to get the bonus money straight back?
    haha its funny though. tbh it is quite a big save tax wise, not only would you get it exempt from tax but you also reduced your income tax exposure to 40% (if you exceed the basic rate). mmmm tasty

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.