Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    all you need where I work is 10 shirts ( can be all white) , 3 trousers ( 2 of which I have the matching suit jacket for ) , 1 tie ( which you'll never wear), 1-2 shoes, and maybe 1 jumper. This is for sales btw, and trading can be even more casual ( and we have casual friday)

A lot of the talk on this chat is giving poor advice and people bragging about their expensive watch or suit. fact: as an analyst you don't need it... it might be nice to have it.

If you have a tight budget, don't worry because you can look better than most guys who think they're the nuts in there off the peg styleless designer suit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakezg)
    all you need where I work is 10 shirts ( can be all white) , 3 trousers ( 2 of which I have the matching suit jacket for ) , 1 tie ( which you'll never wear), 1-2 shoes, and maybe 1 jumper. This is for sales btw, and trading can be even more casual ( and we have casual friday)

A lot of the talk on this chat is giving poor advice and people bragging about their expensive watch or suit. fact: as an analyst you don't need it... it might be nice to have it.

If you have a tight budget, don't worry because you can look better than most guys who think they're the nuts in there off the peg styleless designer suit.
    where do you work?

ReputationRep:
    looool, load of people are joking about the expensive watches and designer suits....tbh as an analyst no one gives a **** what you wear as long as you look reasonably decent, i.e Tm lewin shirts, couple suits, nice shoes are good(apparently its the first thing women notice ) and yeah one or two ties you'll never wear

(Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    where do you work?
    He's at GS.

Anyway, while people can go for the 'bare minimum approach', I don't think it is optimal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    He's at GS.

Anyway, while people can go for the 'bare minimum approach', I don't think it is optimal.
    Ok,

JakeF said you worked in a 'very different environment'. Where was that?

Ok,

JakeF said you worked in a 'very different environment'. Where was that?
    Elsewhere.

And I get to dictate things going ahead so the white loafers will see lots of use.

ReputationRep:
    Elsewhere.

And I get to dictate things going ahead so the white loafers will see lots of use.
    starting a hedge fund or something?

(Original post by Zürich)
    starting a hedge fund or something?
    That'd be one way to get control.

ReputationRep:
    That'd be one way to get control.
    Don't ask why..but i get a STRONG wannabe gekko/madoff vibe from this guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The IC Guy)
    You sound like a wänker by the way.
    Well thank you very much young chap, you too! Though just the message in the christmas card would have sufficed.

ReputationRep:
    Don't ask why..but i get a STRONG wannabe gekko/madoff vibe from this guy.
    :rofl: I'd love to play you at poker, if they're the kind of 'vibes' you get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    My total spend is around 3.5k

Shoes: 350
    Suits: 2x PS + 1 Boss - 1200 (saved around 300 quid in the sales on 2 of them)
    Watch - Tag Carrera : 1350
    Shirts: 400
    Ties: 3 x Hermes - 300 - understated.
    This sounds like a reasonable benchmark.

I'd spend about half the amount you did on ties though simply because they get absolutely no use. Similarly I'd spend about double what you did on shirts. Get 10 nice Thomas Pink/Hawes and Curtis slim/superslims. Probs spend about 10-20% more on shoes and suits also.

Could finance that by going for no watch...but I didn't.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe people have spent 1000+ posts discussing analyst wardrobes. There's ridiculous, and then there's this ...

True

Aaaaand the results are out ....

USER --- POSTS
    1. Drogue - 109
    2. JakeF - 70
    3. loggins - 67
    4. President_Ben - 58
    5. PorcineAviation - 49

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/misc...sted&t=1177712

Rep to the first person to put this all into Excel with a sick graph.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince of Zamunda)
    I can't believe people have spent 1000+ posts discussing analyst wardrobes. There's ridiculous, and then there's this ...
    Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like that to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought. What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rozzr)
    Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like that to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought. What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.
    Yes but have you acquired the knowledge thus far that there are people who suffer from conditions beyond their control, and are naturally in that state? My aunty, for instance, happens to be a person of that nature. She is a crane operator that has bad joints and a bad spine from operating the crane but you probably lack empathy for that case also. I do not fall under this category as I am 6'5, 300lbs and every day I make an effort to stimulate myofibrillar hypertrophy by inducing skeletal muscle mircotrauma. I would be most enthusiastic about you saying such a thing of unkind nature to my aunty in the vicinity of my physical presence. This has a low probability of coming to pass however as you are courageous only when your words first travel through an electronic medium to a public display forum. My belief is not strong that you would vocalise these insults when there is little spatial distance between yourself and that person. That is my thought process. I would like to know yours. Oh I do offer my apologies as you lack a frontal lobe with the necessary neurons and synapses which are prerequisites for a sentient being. I myself, however, would be most happy to book you in for a three day cruise to travel to my location and visualise yourself making such taunts to a person of my acquaintance with the removal of an electronic discussion medium.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loafer)
    True

USER --- POSTS
    1. Drogue - 109
    2. JakeF - 70
    3. loggins - 67
    4. President_Ben - 58
    5. PorcineAviation - 49

Have i actually posted 70 (now 71) times on this thread? Oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damn it feels good to be a banker)
    FACT #10
    Even this T-shirt is bespoke
    Fashion

Fashion is a means of personal expression. Clothes broadcast emotion and can speak volumes about one's inner character. People send out different cues about their nature with their outfits: self-confidence, conformity, reckless individuality. As Bankers, we, too, utilize fashion for personal communication, and the singular message our finely woven threads scream is an unrelenting: "We are better than you."
    ok?

ReputationRep:
    Yes but have you acquired the knowledge thus far that there are people who suffer from conditions beyond their control, and are naturally in that state? My aunty, for instance, happens to be a person of that nature. She is a crane operator that has bad joints and a bad spine from operating the crane but you probably lack empathy for that case also. I do not fall under this category as I am 6'5, 300lbs and every day I make an effort to stimulate myofibrillar hypertrophy by inducing skeletal muscle mircotrauma. I would be most enthusiastic about you saying such a thing of unkind nature to my aunty in the vicinity of my physical presence. This has a low probability of coming to pass however as you are courageous only when your words first travel through an electronic medium to a public display forum. My belief is not strong that you would vocalise these insults when there is little spatial distance between yourself and that person. That is my thought process. I would like to know yours. Oh I do offer my apologies as you lack a frontal lobe with the necessary neurons and synapses which are prerequisites for a sentient being. I myself, however, would be most happy to book you in for a three day cruise to travel to my location and visualise yourself making such taunts to a person of my acquaintance with the removal of an electronic discussion medium.
    The problem is your focusing on the things in life that don't really matter. When I was a kid I had hopes and dreams. We all did. But over time, the daily grind gets in the way and you miss the things that really matter, even though they are right in front of you, staring you in the face. I think the next time you should ask yourself "Am I on the right track here?". I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you could use the few brain cells you have and take advantage of the knowledge I have given you now. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loafer)
    True

USER --- POSTS
    1. Drogue - 109
    2. JakeF - 70
    3. loggins - 67
    4. President_Ben - 58
    5. PorcineAviation - 49

:eek: and I'm not even an analyst :o:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.