http://www.kurtgeiger.com/online-sho...2-kg-clockwork

tia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theconno)
    Opinions on these shoes:

http://www.kurtgeiger.com/online-sho...2-kg-clockwork

tia
    Why are they so long?

And the material looks like its meant to be bulletproof or something.

With shoes I would go with something a bit more classic, like an oxford, not these 'fashionable' things that people who hang out in shoreditch wear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acies)
    Why are they so long?

And the material looks like its meant to be bulletproof or something.

With shoes I would go with something a bit more classic, like an oxford, not these 'fashionable' things that people who hang out in shoreditch wear.
    agreed with all the above, the ones in the link look horrible.

ReputationRep:
    Opinion?

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Colle.../dp/B004DM3KEY

Need a safe classic shoe. Any other reccomendations <£150?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockon)
    Opinion?

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Colle.../dp/B004DM3KEY

Need a safe classic shoe. Any other reccomendations <£150?
    make sure they arent uncomfortable (wear them for a day before you use them for the interview), spending a 100 more sounds pretty good when you're walking around with blisters

ReputationRep:
    This thread is too long to read through, so I'll ask instead: What do people recommend in terms of shirts? I'll need to buy around 10 shirts for the summer, and with my budget I'm looking at Charles Tyrwhitt/TM Lewin/Hawes & Curtis. I've heard TM Lewin is the worst of the three, what do people here think? Are any of these good, or should I make the jump up to Thomas Pink, etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chillern)
    This thread is too long to read through, so I'll ask instead: What do people recommend in terms of shirts? I'll need to buy around 10 shirts for the summer, and with my budget I'm looking at Charles Tyrwhitt/TM Lewin/Hawes & Curtis. I've heard TM Lewin is the worst of the three, what do people here think? Are any of these good, or should I make the jump up to Thomas Pink, etc?
    I'm a big fan of Charles Tyrwhitt's tailored fit line though it has a limited range, and Hawes & Curtis has a good spread and some nice designs. TM Lewin tends to do wider spread collars which I'm not a big fan of, but I own shirts from all three anyways.

A shirt is a far less complex item to tailor than a suit and if you find a brand that fits you well and uses high quality cotton, buy it. Brand doesn't really matter - visit all three and try them for fit, they all use good material.

ReputationRep:
    does it all really matter as much as ye make it out to?

is this a guy thing or are girls equally expected to dress with designer labels? It is easier for girls to buy nicer cheaper clothes since there are a million more shops...just curious cause I don't fancy spending a fortune on shirts. i like my h&ms ones

Women end up impressing in... different ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lorchii)
    does it all really matter as much as ye make it out to?

is this a guy thing or are girls equally expected to dress with designer labels? It is easier for girls to buy nicer cheaper clothes since there are a million more shops...just curious cause I don't fancy spending a fortune on shirts. i like my h&ms ones
    Nobody expects designer labels, just looking respectable, and for guys that means your suit fitting well. Most banker girls I know dress in designer labels because they have the money to and like clothes, but as long as you look good, I can't see anyone caring.

Incidentally, one of my female banker friends once commented that women in banking, especially senior ones, tend to dress (and to some extent act) in one of two ways: in a suit, in quite a formal, masculine way; and in designer dresses complete with an excess of accessories, in a very feminine way. Not that you have to, but I found it quite an interesting observation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    Nobody expects designer labels, just looking respectable, and for guys that means your suit fitting well. Most banker girls I know dress in designer labels because they have the money to and like clothes, but as long as you look good, I can't see anyone caring.

Incidentally, one of my female banker friends once commented that women in banking, especially senior ones, tend to dress (and to some extent act) in one of two ways: in a suit, in quite a formal, masculine way; and in designer dresses complete with an excess of accessories, in a very feminine way. Not that you have to, but I found it quite an interesting observation.
    that is interesting..there is a lot of psychology around what type of clothes women wear..even for interviews it's seen as alot safer to just wear skirt suits as some interviewers dont like women wearing pants suits like men do! I think in between is good. Too feminine and you might not be taken as serious, and too maculine and well, your seen to be more of a ***** perhaps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lorchii;29793107[B)
    ]does it all really matter as much as ye make it out to?[/B]
    no

ReputationRep:
    anywhere where i can get petite workwear clothes for women?

(Original post by Drogue)
    Tail wag dog?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSeriousOne)
    anywhere where i can get petite workwear clothes for women?
    Try Reiss for suits/dresses, and then look around; Karen Millen sometimes has nice blouses, for shirts it's pretty much the same as for guys except it's more limited , I like Hawes & Curtis mostly because their fit is good on me. Don't like TM Lewin so much. Thomas Pink is more expensive and don't have that big a selection for women. A good tip is to go to some of the stores and try a few different models and then order online, because they always seem to be sold out in store (especially the plain blue, pink etc). Plus you often get some sort of 2 for 1 deal online.

Also get some comfortable shoes, like ballerinas or something similar. In my opinion you don't always need to wear heels, I certainly don't but then I'm quite tall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    Women end up impressing in... different ways.
    I usually like your posts, even when you are being mildly offensive; but that just came across as leching and pathetic!

(Original post by staysha)
    I usually like your posts, even when you are being mildly offensive; but that just came across as leching and pathetic!
    Welcome to the real world where impressing will mean appealing to the masses and it takes very little in the way of smarts to realise what that means.

Is it good? No.

Do I approve? No.

But good luck to anyone trying to change that nugget of the culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    Welcome to the real world where impressing will mean appealing to the masses and it takes very little in the way of smarts to realise what that means.

Is it good? No.

Do I approve? No.

But good luck to anyone trying to change that nugget of the culture.
    Perhaps you are right and such things are part of the culture- I sincerely hope not, but you know more than me at this stage, so I'll grant you that. But you are definitely wrong to think they are unchangeable. If responsible people who are respected by their peers showed by their behavior that such attitudes would not be countenanced, then at the very least that would be an excellent start. Since you are very respected here (and in my limited experience rightfully so), its up to you to set the tone of what the next generation can expect, and to a certain extent how they should behave.....

(Original post by staysha)
    Perhaps you are right and such things are part of the culture- I sincerely hope not, but you know more than me at this stage, so I'll grant you that. But you are definitely wrong to think they are unchangeable. If responsible people who are respected by their peers showed by their behavior that such attitudes would not be countenanced, then at the very least that would be an excellent start. Since you are very respected here (and in my limited experience rightfully so), its up to you to set the tone of what the next generation can expect, and to a certain extent how they should behave.....
    I can barely think of anything in finance culture that would be harder to change. Apart from the profit motive... and... hm.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.