Turn on thread page Beta

ah good times

ReputationRep:
    how many suits do i need for a trading internship?
    got one beautiful hugo boss piece but dont really fancy shelling out for a second of similar quality. Can I get away with one cheap(£300) one too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    how many suits do i need for a trading internship?
    got one beautiful hugo boss piece but dont really fancy shelling out for a second of similar quality. Can I get away with one cheap(£300) one too?
    If you can get away with a Hugo Boss one you can get away with a <£300 one. The quality won't be any different, only the style and the name will be, and classic styles are if anything safer than a designer style.

ReputationRep:
    Watch for an intern; thoughts?..

http://www.citizenwatch.com/CUK/Engl...080-03E&page=1

http://www.rotarywatches.com/en/the-...hes/gs02518-06

http://www.watchshop.com/mens-seiko-...p99932931.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJaded)
    Nobody will care. Don't get anything too flashy, otherwise it doesn't matter at all. You're an intern.

(Original post by Drogue)
    Nobody will care. Don't get anything too flashy, otherwise it doesn't matter at all. You're an intern.
    Even beyond being an intern, many will be indifferent. Some desks have a watch culture, most don't.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got some suggestions for a nice watch? Not asking for "is it okay?" but actual suggestions, price of below 500 pounds (in before someone saying: minimum is 10000 brah). Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DerPumuckl)
    Anyone got some suggestions for a nice watch? Not asking for "is it okay?" but actual suggestions, price of below 500 pounds (in before someone saying: minimum is 10000 brah). Thanks.
    Get a £40 plain Swatch watch or a Casio F91W. No one will care. Don't feel compelled to buy a watch in a particular price bracket just because you think you have to.

ReputationRep:
    With £500 I'd probably go for either Rotary, Raymond Weil or something vintage/second hand. The latter tends to be my preference - I got a gorgeous Rotary for under £100 and found a Rose Gold Omega Seamaster for £250 (didn't get it - I hate rose gold - but incredible value at that price). Or spend significantly less and use the money for something else if you want, as no-one would care too much. But if you want to get a nice watch at that price, they'd be my suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeeDub)
    Get a £40 plain Swatch watch or a Casio F91W. No one will care. Don't feel compelled to buy a watch in a particular price bracket just because you think you have to.
    As said, not a "is it okay to have xyz watch" question, strictly suggestions of nice watches < 500 pounds please.

ReputationRep:
    As said, not a "is it okay to have xyz watch" question, strictly suggestions of nice watches < 500 pounds please.
    DerPumuckl, I present to you a classic timepiece which will last you for years:

Best of all, it's dirt cheap and you can save 500 quid to spend on something more worthwhile than a ****ing watch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Competencies)
    DerPumuckl, I present to you a classic timepiece which will last you for years:

Best of all, it's dirt cheap and you can save 500 quid to spend on something more worthwhile than a ****ing watch.
    I'm not sure why you're posting. 500 pounds is a very reasonable amount to spend on a watch, prob. on the low end actually.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure why you're posting. 500 pounds is a very reasonable amount to spend on a watch, prob. on the low end actually.
    And we wonder why people dislike people who work for Investment Banks. Yeah great you can afford a £500 watch and you can spend your money on whatever you like to make you happy, but just because a Patek Philippe can be £25k, doesn't mean £500 is reasonable.

ReputationRep:
    And we wonder why people dislike people who work for Investment Banks. Yeah great you can afford a £500 watch and you can spend your money on whatever you like to make you happy, but just because a Patek Philippe can be £25k, doesn't mean £500 is reasonable.
    So if someone asks "can someone recommend a nice restaurant to go for dinner in London?" it's ok to answer "just go to McDonalds"? Why is it bad for someone to say "I have X amount to spend on this, can someone recommend me something?"? You say he can spend his money on whatever he likes, but act all disdainful when he asks for advice on it. Some people like nice food, others like to go clubbing every weekend, and some people like nice clothes or watches. What you or anyone else thinks is reasonable to spend on it doesn't really matter, it's what the person spending the money enjoys. Personally I think it's far sillier to spend £100+ a night each weekend going clubbing in London, as many interns and analysts do, but I'm not going to act like an ass if someone asks for advice on which clubs to blow their money at.

He specifically said he wasn't asking what is necessary or okay, it's not that he's somehow feeling "compelled to buy a watch in a particular price bracket", he just asked for advice, and your reply was, frankly, spam, as it was clearly not answering the question he asked. Whether or not £500 is reasonable has nothing to do with the question he asked, which was given he has a £500 budget for a watch, what would people suggest.

I'm not even a banker and I can see that the reverse snobbery that somehow people should feel ashamed of being able to spend £500 on a watch is far more stupid and disdainful than asking for advice on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    So if someone asks "can someone recommend a nice restaurant to go for dinner in London?" it's ok to answer "just go to McDonalds"? Why is it bad for someone to say "I have X amount to spend on this, can someone recommend me something?"? You say he can spend his money on whatever he likes, but act all disdainful when he asks for advice on it. Some people like nice food, others like to go clubbing every weekend, and some people like nice clothes or watches. What you or anyone else thinks is reasonable to spend on it doesn't really matter, it's what the person spending the money enjoys. Personally I think it's far sillier to spend £100+ a night each weekend going clubbing in London, as many interns and analysts do, but I'm not going to act like an ass if someone asks for advice on which clubs to blow their money at.

He specifically said he wasn't asking what is necessary or okay, it's not that he's somehow feeling "compelled to buy a watch in a particular price bracket", he just asked for advice, and your reply was, frankly, spam, as it was clearly not answering the question he asked. Whether or not £500 is reasonable has nothing to do with the question he asked, which was given he has a £500 budget for a watch, what would people suggest.

I'm not even a banker and I can see that the reverse snobbery that somehow people should feel ashamed of being able to spend £500 on a watch is far more stupid and disdainful than asking for advice on it.
    I am not being a snob. I have no problem with him spending any amount of money on anything he wants. The point I was making was that he expressed in a slightly crass manner and it is in fact this which gets people's goat up.

ReputationRep:
    Aren't you trying to break into IB? But regardless, I fail to see why I shouldn't ask for advice, I want a nice watch, don't want to spend more than 500 pounds and have little knowledge about watches (my current one is 15 pounds from M&S, maybe Jon Lewis, I forgot).

@Drogue, thanks for the advice, I'll look into the brands you mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    I am not being a snob. I have no problem with him spending any amount of money on anything he wants. The point I was making was that he expressed in a slightly crass manner and it is in fact this which gets people's goat up.
    Yet, this is your third or fourth post on the matter. Quite a few for something you don't care about?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.kingandallen.co.uk/

Don't know if you guys know of this website, you probably do. You can book an appointment to see them in person to get a decent tailored suit for £500.

They don't have high street shops, they just set up in a number of planes throughout the UK, i.e. in hotels, in a number of places throughout the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AJaded)

http://www.rotarywatches.com/en/the-...hes/gs02518-06

I like this one

This thread has taken a bit of a "turn again" - anyways I just find it funny that you all have such attention to detail regarding watch brands when the average guy wouldn't notice if his girlfriend dyed her hair! Bankers be crazy!

I think the point being made above is that there seems to be a culture where people feel a need to spend their money on extravagant items for the sake of it over some kind of necessity of personal desire. One could almost think there seems to be a perpetual cycle of bankers paying exorbitant prices because they believe they want it...

although I really must buy a watch. I don't think my bright orange (glow in the dark) Aldi sports watch will be sufficient...

ReputationRep:
    Savile Row Co have nice suits on for about £250 atm

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.