Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mos Def)
    Savile Row Co have nice suits on for about £250 atm
    Fixed. I'm not usually a snob about clothing, as you can get pretty decent quality suits for £250 without much hassle, but trying to make out like they're Savile Row when the materials, workmanship and all other forms of quality are so far below it annoys me a bit. Not only that, but the quality is lower than most of what's off Savile Row as well, as you're paying for an undeserved name.

You get get decent MTM from about £500 upwards, and you can actually get handmade bespoke from about £600-700 upwards if you go outside Savile Row (I can recommend my tailor if people want, who's suits tend to start at around this price and are made personally by him). Below that I'd only care about getting one that feels nice, is made of 100% wool, fits me well and suits my style, as anything below that will be mass produced in a handful of factories that produce for many retailers. You'll find stuff like Hugo Boss coming off the same production line as M&S, just with a different style and different materials. The workmanship will be the same. Except some places are shameless in finding really cheap, substandard materials and factories that will make them on the cheap, and then stick a sizeable price on it and hope no-one notices the difference.

For that reason, I tended to stick to M&S, TM Lewin and the like before I could afford to pay £500+ and go for one of the above options. There is no improvement in quality you'll find elsewhere and the potential for getting something that will fall apart a lot quicker. It's just not economical to make really good quality suits for less than ~£500, as semi-decent wool is close to £100 per suit as a minimum and it'll take 5+ hours of somebody's time for MTM and probably 25+ for bespoke, before you've even considered shop costs and the like.

ReputationRep:
    There is a small shop in Yorkshire, which has suits made in savile row by various shops. And the suits are unbelievable cheap, like £50 for a hand made Alexander suit. It is ridiculous, the reasons why they are so cheap is because when people are having a suit done in savile row they pay a deposit up front and then collect Their suit and pay the full amount but somepeople pay the deposit and dont collect their suit so they get sent to this shop in yorkshire.

However it is a lottery as the suit has been made for someone else so it maybe out on the trousers or slaves etc.. But you can get this reajusted.

I bought a suit 2 years ago for 50 quid and it was a handmade Alexander suit with amazing lining and nice cloth (subtly red pinstripe on navy) and the deposit alone was 900 quid (there was a recipt on the pocket) and although it was made for someone else it fitted me perfectly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CityTrader)
    There is a small shop in Yorkshire, which has suits made in savile row by various shops. And the suits are unbelievable cheap, like £50 for a hand made Alexander suit. It is ridiculous, the reasons why they are so cheap is because when people are having a suit done in savile row they pay a deposit up front and then collect Their suit and pay the full amount but somepeople pay the deposit and dont collect their suit so they get sent to this shop in yorkshire.

However it is a lottery as the suit has been made for someone else so it maybe out on the trousers or slaves etc.. But you can get this reajusted.

I bought a suit 2 years ago for 50 quid and it was a handmade Alexander suit with amazing lining and nice cloth (subtly red pinstripe on navy) and the deposit alone was 900 quid (there was a recipt on the pocket) and although it was made for someone else it fitted me perfectly.
    I call bull, whats the shops name?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Invidious-)
    I call bull, whats the shops name?
    Lol it's not, Its called BMB, it's a warehouse near Harrogate.

ReputationRep:
    slimmest OTR shirt?

i'm a pretty skinny ******* so to give you an idea of the slim fits which don't fit me....

CT tailored - too baggy
    hawes and curtis - too baggy
    brooks - apparently they do extra slim but 15 collar necks -.-

What do fit me.....

TM Lewin john francomb - but they're double cuff
    got a shirt from next (don't knock it :p:) and it fits really well

so yea anybody know of any shirts, 14.5" neck, which is pretty damn slim?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    slimmest OTR shirt?

i'm a pretty skinny ******* so to give you an idea of the slim fits which don't fit me....

CT tailored - too baggy
    hawes and curtis - too baggy
    brooks - apparently they do extra slim but 15 collar necks -.-

What do fit me.....

TM Lewin john francomb - but they're double cuff
    got a shirt from next (don't knock it :p:) and it fits really well

so yea anybody know of any shirts, 14.5" neck, which is pretty damn slim?
    Ever heard of a tailor? Just get the darts taken in on the other shirts if they are too baggy as that's the main difference between TM Lewin and CT, CT is 37" waist and TM is 33. Other than that get MTM shirts if you're still not happy.

ReputationRep:
    As an analyst, generally, you need less ties and less full suit combos than an intern- fact

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pendulum)
    Ever heard of a tailor? Just get the darts taken in on the other shirts if they are too baggy as that's the main difference between TM Lewin and CT, CT is 37" waist and TM is 33. Other than that get MTM shirts if you're still not happy.
    Im having a similar but different problem to the guy above,

CT - tailored fit = 15'' is perfect but the sleeves are too bloody short, the longest they have is 33 and I need at least 35.... is there nothing I can do other than buy a 15.5'' and get that tailored because thats quite costly...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pendulum)
    yes i have but its hassle - how much do they cost anyways out of interest

ReputationRep:
    I have TM Lewins that are 34, mot sure if they have 35+.

I am also 14/14.5" neck the CT tailored shirts are fine for me. Not sure how thin you are but they are probably ok if you are starting off. At least I see very few people with very well fitting shirts at this level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mos Def)
    Im having a similar but different problem to the guy above,

CT - tailored fit = 15'' is perfect but the sleeves are too bloody short, the longest they have is 33 and I need at least 35.... is there nothing I can do other than buy a 15.5'' and get that tailored because thats quite costly...
    To be honest you'd be better off buying a different brand if you can't get what you want. CT shirts are dirt cheap anyway but decent enough to get it tailored.

(Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    yes i have but its hassle - how much do they cost anyways out of interest
    Depends if you're just getting the body taken in or sleeves altered too. It's also dependent on where you live, in London it costs me twice as much to alter shirts so I do them when I visit home and it costs £10 per shirt. MTM shirts are most expensive but are a perfect fit, so I guess depends on whether you think £30 is expensive for a shirt or £90?

ReputationRep:
    I'm dealing with this slim fit issue too right now. I'm slightly envious of the 15'' necks here currently because of it. My neck's between 16'' and 16 1/2'' and its impossible to find a good fitting shirt. I'm thinking that I will either try to get all of my shirts altered or I'll go for a lower neck size (15'' if it doesn't look too bad) and the John Francomb's from TM Lewin (don't need to wear a tie anyway).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tompazr)
    I'm dealing with this slim fit issue too right now. I'm slightly envious of the 15'' necks here currently because of it. My neck's between 16'' and 16 1/2'' and its impossible to find a good fitting shirt. I'm thinking that I will either try to get all of my shirts altered or I'll go for a lower neck size (15'' if it doesn't look too bad) and the John Francomb's from TM Lewin (don't need to wear a tie anyway).
    surely there can't really be much between 16 and 16.5 if you already lie the middle anyway? you tried the BB extra slim fit ones? (not tried them myself but i've been told they're pretty slim)

ReputationRep:
    My concern doesn't lie with picking between 16 and 16.5, both are terrible fits. TM Lewin JF are the slimmest judging by numbers on the respective websites.

ReputationRep:
    The TML JF are still not as slim as im guessing you are looking for. Im 6 3, 200 lbs and it still is big at the waist on me (and i wear a 16). Furthermore, TML collars are smaller than other shirtmakers, for example im a comfortable 16 usually but with TML i cant button a 16.

You might want to try MTM if you want a real slim fit, or take your shirts to a tailor, both good options.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone give any advice on what type of bag to use for an internship - briefcase or portfolio?

Also, any recommendations on brand? Mont Blanc, Dunhill, LV and so on are perhaps out of my budget.

None. You really won't be carrying much around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vodking)
    Can anyone give any advice on what type of bag to use for an internship - briefcase or portfolio?

Also, any recommendations on brand? Mont Blanc, Dunhill, LV and so on are perhaps out of my budget.
    Well, you're not going to be given anything to take home apart from admin stuff in the first week or so. I just took in a Gym bag every now and again if I was going to be using the gym, otherwise didn't really need one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    None. You really won't be carrying much around.

(Original post by Jimi Haze)
    Well, you're not going to be given anything to take home apart from admin stuff in the first week or so. I just took in a Gym bag every now and again if I was going to be using the gym, otherwise didn't really need one.
    Thanks, I won't bother buying anything then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CityTrader)
    Lol it's not, Its called BMB, it's a warehouse near Harrogate.
    Opinions?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.