Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stowa & Hermes)
    Been thinking about taking a gap year and continuing to grow my YE company. However as its quite client facing what do you guys think of the following wardrobe for the long term. Note: Not all in on one shoppping trip. And not some spoiled country kid from Eton. Actually black and state educated.

3x Suits (2 Gieves & Hawkes of the rack and 1 Zegna) £2500
    2x Braces (Ede & Ravenscroft) £120
    6x Ties (Hermes) £800
    8x Shirts (CT) £200
    2x Oxfords (Loake) and (Allen Edmonds) £450
    2x Loafers (Hermes) £900
    6x Pocket squares (Thomas Pink) £180
    2x Watch (Stowa) and (Vinatege Rolex Datejust) £ 4500
    5x Cufflinks (Thomas Pink) £250

Total - £9900
    Why buy AE if from UK? They are very average quality & lasts are pretty bad. Church's custom grade or C&J Handgrade please. Loafers aren't appropriate for business dress, if either watch has any gold on it stay away, I would buy button cuff rather than french as they're not that practical & are a bit too formal for me sub-VP. You can get 3 MTM G&H suits for your budget so don't know what the hell you're spending it on, Zegna is massively overpriced for what it is although their fabric is nice.

Finally, Hermes is a stupid overpriced idiot brand for people who want to look like they've "made it", their nice things are very very sparse and most just looks like you're trying to show off. Are you going to wear the tags out on all your clothes so guys know how much you've spent on them?

ReputationRep:
    Been thinking about taking a gap year and continuing to grow my YE company. However as its quite client facing what do you guys think of the following wardrobe for the long term. Note: Not all in on one shoppping trip. And not some spoiled country kid from Eton. Actually black and state educated.

3x Suits (2 Gieves & Hawkes of the rack and 1 Zegna) £2500
    2x Braces (Ede & Ravenscroft) £120
    6x Ties (Hermes) £800
    8x Shirts (CT) £200
    2x Oxfords (Loake) and (Allen Edmonds) £450
    2x Loafers (Hermes) £900
    6x Pocket squares (Thomas Pink) £180
    2x Watch (Stowa) and (Vinatege Rolex Datejust) £ 4500
    5x Cufflinks (Thomas Pink) £250

Total - £9900
    For suits: go bespoke or MTM outside the Row, you'll get better suits, a better fit and spend less than that.
    Braces: if you really want them, go for Thurston. Much cheaper than E&R and as good as money can buy (E&R may well be rebranded Thurstons, as most Savile Row places do).
    Ties: No need for Hermes or spend that, go to TML, CT or the like. Maybe get one expensive one you really like if you want.
    Shoes: Don't go to Loake, they're overpriced and not great. Church's, Crocket & Jones, Cheaney and Trickers are far better. Avoid the Hermes loafers.
    Pocket squares & cufflinks: Pink is overpriced, go for CT or TML, or even high street ones so long as they're pure silk. Perhaps get one Duchamp set for special occasions if you want.
    Watch: anything above a few hundred quid is just flash. If you have money to burn, feel free, but there's no need other than personal taste.

If you want to be safe, skip the braces, keep the suits and shirts plain, the ties and pocket squares tasteful and the shoes Oxfords, monks, brogues or wholecuts in plain black (or dark brown to go with a navy suit). Wearing a pocket square will be enough to make you stand out for good reasons. Make sure what you wear together doesn't overdo it - it's easy to do, wastes lots of money and makes you stand out for all the wrong reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loafer)
    Keep dreaming kid, and don't let the ugly chip on your shoulder weigh you down.

In case you were being serious: talk to your parents, they'll knock some sense into you, and point out how ridiculous this sounds.

And also, why would we care about the colour of your skin.
    Absolutely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loafer)
    Keep dreaming kid, and don't let the ugly chip on your shoulder weigh you down.

In case you were being serious: talk to your parents, they'll knock some sense into you, and point out how ridiculous this sounds.

And also, why would we care about the colour of your skin.
    :eek: Nah, cant be.... The messiah bringing sense back into this board???
    There is hope!!!

ReputationRep:
    OK, guys I may have lied slightly. Thought best to say now as its gone a bit out of hand. Me and my Dad are actually starting a Materials consulting firm for engineering, and considering a clothing consultancy subsidiary. Was just wondering as to peoples views on an incoherent and inconsistent wardrobe. As bankers are typically obsessed with looking good. Admittedly I was hoping for more market research but I'll live. Cheers everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincePauper)
    Are you even an analyst?? Your username would suggest your not even at university... Thats where the problem with this thread comes from... Kids daydreaming thinking this is how the real world is like.... It aint
    No I'm not, I never said I was or even suggested it? I have had two posts on this thread, 1 asking if Trading analysts are very bothered about their appearance, and that one you quoted. I haven't actually talked about planning to buy suits or anything like that. I haven't daydreamed or anything. A good 80% of the people actually talking about this are actually analysts or at least interns.

ReputationRep:
    OK, guys I may have lied slightly. Thought best to say now as its gone a bit out of hand. Me and my Dad are actually starting a Materials consulting firm for engineering, and considering a clothing consultancy subsidiary. Was just wondering as to peoples views on an incoherent and inconsistent wardrobe. As bankers are typically obsessed with looking good. Admittedly I was hoping for more market research but I'll live. Cheers everyone.
    Lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ross Johnson)
    Lol.
    Dont own a pair of Hermes loafers and never will. Was suprised that I didnt get any grief for that though I mean cmon, HERMES LOAFERS. Tbh the lack of negative reaction to that was research enough.

ReputationRep:
    Dont own a pair of Hermes loafers and never will. Was suprised that I didnt get any grief for that though I mean cmon, HERMES LOAFERS. Tbh the lack of negative reaction to that was research enough.
    Lol, keep digging son.

ReputationRep:
    'Cause the 2 specific negative comments about Hermes was no grief?

ReputationRep:
    I think the excesses of watches in IB are an absolute disgrace. A fitted bespoke suit and top end CT shirts always look good and you can have your Hermes ties but anything more than £500 on a watch is overstated. I am buy side btw.

ReputationRep:
    I just want to keep track of what people are buying in this thread

ReputationRep:
    Hi, what type of shoes should I get? I'm not sure I am the right level to wear a certain type so I didn't want to do buying my suit wrong?

any help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrislpp)
    Hi, what type of shoes should I get? I'm not sure I am the right level to wear a certain type so I didn't want to do buying my suit wrong?

any help?
    Black Oxford Lace Up Brogues... that are comfortable.

I wouldn't skimp out on shoes as if you get an uncomfortable pair you'll be in agony. The thing with a lot of the good shoes is that they're all quite understated; I wore Church's during my internship and will continue to wear them for a many number of years - they are quite pricey (although I got mine at an outlet store so saved a lot) so long as they're classic I don't think you can go wrong.

ReputationRep:

any help?
    Erm, plain black ones? Any type of standard, formal, plain black shoes would be fine, just avoid anything majorly showy (ie. with tassles, made of croc, with big metal bits of bling, etc.). Go for Oxfords if you want to be formal, monks or wholecuts if you want to be formal but a little different, brogues or half-brogues if you like them, or Derbys if you don't like any of the above. Or just walk into almost any shoe shop and ask for black shoes, as I'm sure you won't go too far wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    Erm, plain black ones? Any type of standard, formal, plain black shoes would be fine, just avoid anything majorly showy (ie. with tassles, made of croc, with big metal bits of bling, etc.). Go for Oxfords if you want to be formal, monks or wholecuts if you want to be formal but a little different, brogues or half-brogues if you like them, or Derbys if you don't like any of the above. Or just walk into almost any shoe shop and ask for black shoes, as I'm sure you won't go too far wrong.
    Wow, great.

Im' interested in banking? Is there a way to start a bank so i dont just work for another one?

Im' interested in banking? Is there a way to start a bank so i dont just work for another one?
    This is the best thing I've read on here in years.

Possibly ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    This is the best thing I've read on here in years.

Possibly ever.
    I was thinking the same thing. Though it's another question I'm semi-qualified to answer. Were he not trolling.

ReputationRep:
    At least give the entire post justice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whiplash)
    I think the excesses of watches in IB are an absolute disgrace. A fitted bespoke suit and top end CT shirts always look good and you can have your Hermes ties but anything more than £500 on a watch is overstated. I am buy side btw.
    If you've got the money to buy a bespoke suit, why would you not have your shirts made too? You don't get something like that unless you care about your appearance. A ill-fitting shirt looks jarring; it ruins the look.

Fruther, why do you say that £500 is excessive for a watch? I'm not saying the piece is an investment or anything silly like that, but you would expect to last a damn sight longer than any piece of clothing- however well it is made. Why pay >£3-4000 for a suit, but limit yourself to £500 for a watch. That seems silly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.