Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meriwether)
    If you've got the money to buy a bespoke suit, why would you not have your shirts made too? You don't get something like that unless you care about your appearance. A ill-fitting shirt looks jarring; it ruins the look.
    If you're wearing a suit, you don't notice the shirt. It's the one bit you can get away with skimping on (well, that and the watch). Sure, a shirt in the wrong size can look jarring, but a shirt that fits fine won't. You don't want your shirt to be tight-fitting, so there's a lot more leeway than in a suit, where you want the jacket to be appropriately waisted and have the right level of curve in the chest, the trousers to not require a belt and be the right length, etc.

Sure, if you have lots of money then have bespoke shirts, but there's a pretty wide range of incomes where I'd consider it worth having bespoke suits but not worth paying for bespoke shirts. Since you need 10+ shirts, bespoke gets pretty expensive.

Fruther, why do you say that £500 is excessive for a watch? I'm not saying the piece is an investment or anything silly like that, but you would expect to last a damn sight longer than any piece of clothing- however well it is made. Why pay >£3-4000 for a suit, but limit yourself to £500 for a watch. That seems silly.
    Because a bespoke suit will be distinctly better than an OTP one, but a £500 watch will still last decades and look good (if anyone notices). Sure, spending £3-4k on a watch will give you one that will last a lifetime, with a name and perhaps be slightly prettier, but that's not worth the money to me. Yet having a suit that's properly waisted, that moves with you and gives you the best silhouette possible makes enough of a difference to be worth it to me.

I spend ~£1k each on my suits (I obviously don't have them made on Savile Row, but there are plenty of good tailors around the country who charge much less for what is still very good bespoke), under £50 each for my shirts and ~£100 on my watch. Spending more on all would be pretty easy, but I doubt I'd get much better quality in terms of things I care about without spending vastly more - probably triple for the suits and shirts and 5-10 times more for the watch.

In my view, if you have CT-level shirts, any classic watch, decent silk ties and properly made shoes, it's worth going for a bespoke suit before upgrading any of those. It'll make far more difference than bespoke shirts or an expensive watch. Only when you have the money for Savile Row would I start considering upgrading the rest to be worth the money, and I'd be wanting well into 6 figures before I'd consider £3-4k on a suit to be worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    If you're wearing a suit, you don't notice the shirt. It's the one bit you can get away with skimping on (well, that and the watch). Sure, a shirt in the wrong size can look jarring, but a shirt that fits fine won't. You don't want your shirt to be tight-fitting, so there's a lot more leeway than in a suit, where you want the jacket to be appropriately waisted and have the right level of curve in the chest, the trousers to not require a belt and be the right length, etc.

Sure, if you have lots of money then have bespoke shirts, but there's a pretty wide range of incomes where I'd consider it worth having bespoke suits but not worth paying for bespoke shirts. Since you need 10+ shirts, bespoke gets pretty expensive.

Because a bespoke suit will be distinctly better than an OTP one, but a £500 watch will still last decades and look good (if anyone notices). Sure, spending £3-4k on a watch will give you one that will last a lifetime, with a name and perhaps be slightly prettier, but that's not worth the money to me. Yet having a suit that's properly waisted, that moves with you and gives you the best silhouette possible makes enough of a difference to be worth it to me.

I spend ~£1k each on my suits (I obviously don't have them made on Savile Row, but there are plenty of good tailors around the country who charge much less for what is still very good bespoke), under £50 each for my shirts and ~£100 on my watch. Spending more on all would be pretty easy, but I doubt I'd get much better quality in terms of things I care about without spending vastly more - probably triple for the suits and shirts and 5-10 times more for the watch.

In my view, if you have CT-level shirts, any classic watch, decent silk ties and properly made shoes, it's worth going for a bespoke suit before upgrading any of those. It'll make far more difference than bespoke shirts or an expensive watch. Only when you have the money for Savile Row would I start considering upgrading the rest to be worth the money, and I'd be wanting well into 6 figures before I'd consider £3-4k on a suit to be worth it.
    Fair enough. We'll call it a matter of taste. I'm a bit of a fiend for watches.

Where is it that you can get a bespoke suit for £1000 though?!

ReputationRep:

Most 'non-brand' tailors will do it for around that price tbf. The cloth won't be as high a quality as a Saville Row suit, but tbph unless you were around cutters etc nobody would be able to tell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    Most 'non-brand' tailors will do it for around that price tbf. The cloth won't be as high a quality as a Saville Row suit, but tbph unless you were around cutters etc nobody would be able to tell.
    This, pretty much. Though you'd be surprised with the cloth, you tend to pay about £100 extra at a non-brand tailor, but most of them have some very high-quality cloth. My last one was a Lessers cloth which costs quite a bit, but my tailor has been using them for years and adds a premium when you choose it to pay for the quality.

There are quite a few around London, mostly a bit out of the centre. My tailor's George on Wightman Road in Harringay. He just has a small shop that's basically a workshop, but he knows his stuff and makes it all himself. I've been very happy with him.

If you take away the rent and sales staff costs from Savile Row, the premium for the brand, you end up with something in the £1-2k range. And since Savile Row customers tend not to be too money conscious, they can and do go the extra mile in ways that aren't really necessary in tailoring. For example apparently it takes 30-50 hours to build a Savile Row suit, whereas most tailors will be spending nearer 20 hour on it. Still a lot of time, hence it's not a cheap thing to buy, but a chunk cheaper for something that only someone so close that you'd really need to know about suits could tell the difference.

ReputationRep:
    Fruther, why do you say that £500 is excessive for a watch? I'm not saying the piece is an investment or anything silly like that, but you would expect to last a damn sight longer than any piece of clothing- however well it is made. Why pay >£3-4000 for a suit, but limit yourself to £500 for a watch. That seems silly.
    Because watches are just a proxy for bonus and rank. A 5K bespoke suit won't look noticeably different to a 1K one or even a £500 one, nor will those Church's brogues - it's largely down to how you carry it. That's all it is isn't it? Can't carry around the penthouse or the R8 Spyder but that Submariner tells everyone who's boss.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus. These suits are expensive.

I was once mistaken for a banker wearing my £69 black suit from Burton...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)

Tbh whoever mistook you for a banker in a black suit needs to have a word with themselves.
    As does anyone wearing a black suit that isn't for a funeral.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    Tbh whoever mistook you for a banker in a black suit needs to have a word with themselves.
    As does anyone wearing a black suit that isn't for a funeral.
    Tbh, it was a lovely old couple who I gave up my seat on a bench to.

I had to explain that no, I wasn't a banker, I was a college student going for a job interview

Black suits are smart, and IMO, timeless. Not a work suit, but for interviews or formal events, black suits are the way to go I reckon.

Speaking of funerals, I have one soon...

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, it was a lovely old couple who I gave up my seat on a bench to.

I had to explain that no, I wasn't a banker, I was a college student going for a job interview

Black suits are smart, and IMO, timeless. Not a work suit, but for interviews or formal events, black suits are the way to go I reckon.

Speaking of funerals, I have one soon...
    black suits are timeless, but not for interviews, only for funerals.

and since its burton im guessing it was one of those ultra skinny suits.

ReputationRep:

This makes me feel a little queasy.

ReputationRep:

Oh god no...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CityTrader)
    Oh god no...!
    It's true. I only have it because it was a last minute purchase for my school leavers do. I have little reason to wear suits, but it seems to impress whenever I wear it. Not bad for a cheapy!

(Original post by Ross Johnson)
    This makes me feel a little queasy.
    Well, it's certainly not Saville Row, but I have no reason to have an expensive suit

(Original post by acies)
    black suits are timeless, but not for interviews, only for funerals.

and since its burton im guessing it was one of those ultra skinny suits.
    It wasn't a super high pressure executive interview mind. It's not ultra skinny. I don't have the body for skinny suits (or jeans, etc). It's just a regular suit!

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's certainly not Saville Row, but I have no reason to have an expensive suit

Fair point. Now get back down the mines son.

ReputationRep:
    Mines? F*cking mines?! I'll mine you in a minute :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha Classic.

ReputationRep:
    What disappoints me about this thread is that the subject matter is not about a wardrobe unit made out of Analysts (dead or alive). It really is a misleading title...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Good joke. You do seem cooler now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Good joke. You do seem cooler now.
    Pathetic fallacy.

He's an ass.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone here have shoe shining techniques to share? I always manage to get mine up to a nice sheen but can't quite reach the mirror/glass toe cap sheen :beard:

ReputationRep:
    Which shirts would you recommend?

Also, do you have to wear a suit everyday?

Thanks.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.