Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Before you start judging the fact my shirts are less than £100 each, this is for my placement year + summer internship. I wouldnt recommend shirts more expensive than CT until you have nothing better to do with the money since the quality and fit (for me atleast) is good and getting more than 4x brand new shirts or the price of 1 turnbull shirt just isnt worth it at this stage...

Im half a year in, this is me so far;

Pre-job:

2x suit, Navy and Charcoal (TMLewin) - £500 between the two
    4x Shirts 3 white (2 single cuff 1 double) 1 blue, CT, £81
    1x Belt, Black, Ralph Lauren, £30 (sale price obvs)
    2x Black Oxfords, Dune £80 each
    So many socks
    3x Undershirts (primark) £pence
    About 20 ties i've collected over the years (new and used), about 5x Boss, 2x armani, 2x ralph lauren, 1x Lanvin, 1x aqauscutum, a few CT and TML

During:

2x more shirts, lilac and blue pupstooth (both double cuff) £21 each, TML and CT
    5x more undershirts £not much
    2 more sets of cufflinks
    so many more socks
    1 more suit on the way, different shade of blue, TML again £200
    1 casual suit jacket, Chester Barrie, £250
    A few new ties

On hermes ties and belts... no. Well, yes, I want them, (regular belt, not the H), but the price isnt worth it until you hit 100k+. Better off with multiple belts/ties of a lower price level so you dont end up with a single nice belt and tie that you constantly bring out to try and impress.

Curious to hear about others, maybe I'll find some inspiration.

ReputationRep:
    6 months into ibd analyst stint

3x suits from next c. £100 ea
    10x shirts from either tm / m&s (£20 ea)
    shoes are like £100 can’t remember from where but i think they’re oxfords type
    2x belts from next (£10-15 ea)
    1x armani watch (£300) wore once and cba
    10x ties from m&s (wore one on last day of grad training, never to be worn again)
    socks & underwear - primark (couple £s)

and i think that’s about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usualsuspects)
    Not sure why there’s all this talk surrounding Hermes ties, they cost about £140, just as Purple Label ones.
    Curious to hear about others, maybe I'll find some inspiration.
    Because unless daddy is rich that is not affordable for a student

(Original post by ocf32)
    Because unless daddy is rich that is not affordable for a student
    I think it's frequent in IB to come from a family that can spend 140 without worrying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usualsuspects)
    I think it's frequent in IB to come from a family that can spend 140 without worrying
    so right, but its odd that most never seem to understand that these are indeed luxury goods and that there is a good argument to finding cheap quality substitutes. As much as I'd love all my shirts to come from Turnbull, I could buy 5 from tyrwhitt and have them dry-cleaned every 2 weeks for almost a year and still spend the same as 1 turnbull shirt in some cases. And youd almost certainly look better wearing a fresh shirt every day too!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.