Great thread. For being funny.

But seriously, spend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    Great thread. For being funny.

But seriously, spend.
    +1

ReputationRep:
    What's the opinion on the 3 piece suit, i.e. with a waist coat?

Not that I care what you think, I'm just interested.

Have a few friends who are first year bankers and their new found brand obsession is a little bit tragic. If I had the cash it would be old school English style and thus discreet.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and an amusing aside on watches...

My bro, who's a bit of a watch fan, spent a good day in HK recently looking for a high uality fake Rolex, he eventually found one he liked the look and feel of and picked it up for about £10.

The next day we went into a Rolex dealer in HK to have a look round. Being a cheeky sort he asked them staright faced if he could part exchange his Rolex for a new one.

They then summoned the expert Rolex valuer woman, who brought out her eyeglass and brochure. She announced that they couldn't exchange the watch but they could buy it off him for over £1000.

When he then announced that he'd bought it the day before for £10 there was a very awkward silence.

(before anyone tedes on about the movement, I realise it is only visually similar to the real deal.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dalianatkinson)
    Oh and an amusing aside on watches...

My bro, who's a bit of a watch fan, spent a good day in HK recently looking for a high uality fake Rolex, he eventually found one he liked the look and feel of and picked it up for about £10.

The next day we went into a Rolex dealer in HK to have a look round. Being a cheeky sort he asked them staright faced if he could part exchange his Rolex for a new one.

They then summoned the expert Rolex valuer woman, who brought out her eyeglass and brochure. She announced that they couldn't exchange the watch but they could buy it off him for over £1000.

When he then announced that he'd bought it the day before for £10 there was a very awkward silence.

(before anyone tedes on about the movement, I realise it is only visually similar to the real deal.)

do us all a favour mate and jog on, i think you're in the wrong forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostrider88)
    do us all a favour mate and jog on, i think you're in the wrong forum.
    Sozzles Ghostrider, cool name by the way.

Didn't realise it was so territorial in here.

ReputationRep:

Have a few friends who are first year bankers and their new found brand obsession is a little bit tragic. If I had the cash it would be old school English style and thus discreet.
    Here Here, nothing will quite compare to Saville Row..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimi Haze)
    Here Here, nothing will quite compare to Saville Row..
    My point exactly, sadly the likes of Ghostrider are drooling at the shiny suits and ties.

Huntsman 3 piece, pair of Lobbs. That's how we roll.

ReputationRep:

3 pieces generally look ridiculous on anyone under 35. Unless you're attempting to hide a paunch, I see little point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince of Zamunda)
    Go to Vietnam. Head to Hoi An. Find nice material. Find nice tailor. Get perfect bespoke tailored suit. Buy cheap hooker (no pedo) <--- cheaper, better and a hell of a lot more fun than any of the other suggestions in this thread.
    cheaper?! :p:

ReputationRep:
    My point exactly, sadly the likes of Ghostrider are drooling at the shiny suits and ties.

Huntsman 3 piece, pair of Lobbs. That's how we roll.
    Actually I agree with you 100% on the classic English cut, it's just your nice story about rolexes was a bit superflous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PorcineAviation)
    3 pieces generally look ridiculous on anyone under 35. Unless you're attempting to hide a paunch, I see little point.
    I like them to stop the 'tenting' of shirt front that can occur (especially as I don't have a paunch). I suppose you could remedy this with tailor made shirts, but that's very expensive.

At the bar 3 piece suits are much more common, but then it is a more formal profession.

ReputationRep:
    I thought i'd help out anybody out there looking to kit themselves out. TM Lewin are doing an offer of 2 suits for £575 (which isn't too bad) but if you use the discount code NJTES it knocks it down to £396!!

It definitely works as I did it the other week when they were doing 2 suits, 2 shirts and 2 ties for £575, cost me a delightful and very reasonable £396 - worked a treat. Enjoy

ReputationRep:
    NEVER buy suits from TM Lewin. They're not smart enough for IBD, a complete fail for wooing clients if you're in sales and a waste of money if you're a trader (since nobody wears suits on the floor). Their boxy fits are no good to wear on a "smart" night out, so they're pretty much defunct for anyone in FO.

They're on perpetual sale (along with shirts that last all of two washes before the material ends up like cardboard - and ironing is an uphill struggle)... only for one week? Right... until next week, when the "1wk only" sale rolls over.

£200-£250 is overpriced for something you're going to want to throw away in the long run. I'd rather pay half a g for a decent suit than 2x overpriced 3-button crap for "value"...

Trust me, I went through a "Lewin" stage and learnt the lesson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SevenDeuceOff)
    NEVER buy suits from TM Lewin. They're not smart enough for IBD, a complete fail for wooing clients if you're in sales and a waste of money if you're a trader (since nobody wears suits on the floor). Their boxy fits are no good to wear on a "smart" night out, so they're pretty much defunct for anyone in FO.

They're on perpetual sale (along with shirts that last all of two washes before the material ends up like cardboard - and ironing is an uphill struggle)... only for one week? Right... until next week, when the "1wk only" sale rolls over.

£200-£250 is overpriced for something you're going to want to throw away in the long run. I'd rather pay half a g for a decent suit than 2x overpriced 3-button crap for "value"...

Trust me, I went through a "Lewin" stage and learnt the lesson.
    Kind of agree with this, the ordinary shirts are awful, but I've recently been buying the shirts made from 'Luxury' cotton, and they're a lot lot better.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. If you're just starting out as an analyst or landed a summer internship so money is tight you're far better off with 2 half decent Lewin suits which can be nicely tailored to your shape for a couple of pounds extra. As opposed to spunking the same money on some dodgey viscose M&S suits which are going to look like crap after a week. IMHO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FoSho)
    I disagree. If you're just starting out as an analyst or landed a summer internship so money is tight you're far better off with 2 half decent Lewin suits which can be nicely tailored to your shape for a couple of pounds extra. As opposed to spunking the same money on some dodgey viscose M&S suits which are going to look like crap after a week. IMHO
    Listen, I've been through the whole experience. NEVER buy suits for a summer internship - it's an utter waste of money. Shirts + semi-formal jacket suffices for the internship. You don't even need a suit jacket, given it's in the summer and it's warm. You go in, take off your jacket and you're in a shirt, just like everyone else on the trading floor.

If you're in IBD, that's another matter. Buy one cheap (yet overpriced) TM Lewin suit if you want, but the fit is probably worse than even the likes of French Eye, which is cheaper and a much better buy for a temporary suit.

As soon as you've got a job offer, trust me, those TM Lewin suits are going in the bin. Sign-on bonus is an excuse to revamp the wardrobe, and anything Lewin gets culled (apart from maybe a few shirts).

ReputationRep:
    Listen, I've been through the whole experience. NEVER buy suits for a summer internship - it's an utter waste of money. Shirts + semi-formal jacket suffices for the internship. You don't even need a suit jacket, given it's in the summer and it's warm. You go in, take off your jacket and you're in a shirt, just like everyone else on the trading floor.

If you're in IBD, that's another matter. Buy one cheap (yet overpriced) TM Lewin suit if you want, but the fit is probably worse than even the likes of French Eye, which is cheaper and a much better buy for a temporary suit.

As soon as you've got a job offer, trust me, those TM Lewin suits are going in the bin. Sign-on bonus is an excuse to revamp the wardrobe, and anything Lewin gets culled (apart from maybe a few shirts).
    I can't quite express in words how much I disagree with this statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    I can't quite express in words how much I disagree with this statement.
    the question is, if it's 18 degrees outside, do you need to be wearing anything other than a shirt and trousers?

when i interned in '08, i bought a suit which I wore for all of one week.

the only case for it is in the first few days, when you need to sport a tie...

anyhow, you should certainly never buy more than one suit just for a summer internship.

ReputationRep:
    the question is, if it's 18 degrees outside, do you need to be wearing anything other than a shirt and trousers?

when i interned in '08, i bought a suit which I wore for all of one week.

the only case for it is in the first few days, when you need to sport a tie...

anyhow, you should certainly never buy more than one suit just for a summer internship.
    When I interned in '08 they put networking events on every week for us, when we were expected to turn up in smart clothing. I also did a lot of workshadowing with Sales desks where the dress code was pretty smart, I would have felt massively out of place if I hadn't rocked up in a suit. It's entirely up to you, but I always like to make a good impression, and it's far better to err on the side of caution as you never know who you're going to meet. Generally the standard of dress where I was at was pretty high.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.