Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    When I interned in '08 they put networking events on every week for us, when we were expected to turn up in smart clothing. I also did a lot of workshadowing with Sales desks where the dress code was pretty smart, I would have felt massively out of place if I hadn't rocked up in a suit. It's entirely up to you, but I always like to make a good impression, and it's far better to err on the side of caution as you never know who you're going to meet. Generally the standard of dress where I was at was pretty high.
    actually, i forgot about those pesky networking events completely. i take back what i said... you do need one suit even in S&T.

ReputationRep:
    Does T.M. Levin always have a £20 shirt sale on? They have had the current sale up since Jan. Would rather buy later, but if the prices ever go back to £70 might have to buy now....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unsung_hero)
    Does T.M. Levin always have a £20 shirt sale on? They have had the current sale up since Jan. Would rather buy later, but if the prices ever go back to £70 might have to buy now....
    They ALWAYS have some variation of that £20 a shirt sale. I don't think anybody in the history of the world has ever paid £70 for a TM Lewin shirt.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm. I got quite a few of my shirts from Primani for my internship, and I have to be honest here, they were great! No colour leakage, easy to iron, fit like a glove. Can't really understand why someone would shell out 70 quid for a shirt.

ReputationRep:
    Are T M Lewin even that good? Be interested to get peoples opinions as I've spoken to a few people who rate M+S as better value.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously though, you can get shirts from Marks & Spencer for less than 7 pounds/shirt. Buy a one size smaller one than what you would normally buy. You can get decent trousers at M&S for 30 pounds a pair. You guys are overspending. You would be in office for the most part, why bothering buying expensive clothes when it's cheaper, more comfortable, and easier to maintain clothes bought at M&S?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FifthQuarter)
    Seriously though, you can get shirts from Marks & Spencer for less than 7 pounds/shirt. Buy a one size smaller one than what you would normally buy. You can get decent trousers at M&S for 30 pounds a pair. You guys are overspending. You would be in office for the most part, why bothering buying expensive clothes when it's cheaper, more comfortable, and easier to maintain clothes bought at M&S?
    M&S don't do double cuffs and have a tendency to put pockets on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FifthQuarter)
    All my plain shirts are M&S :ahee:

Easycare non-iron FTW. Bloody hate ironing. I'd actually just buy a new shirt everytime if I had to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PorcineAviation)
    M&S don't do double cuffs and have a tendency to put pockets on.
    Don't do white collar blue shirts either (afaik). Criminal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    Don't do white collar blue shirts either (afaik). Criminal.
    Calm down Gekko.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Calm down Gekko.
    That's how we roll, brah. Innit baller? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    Easycare non-iron FTW.
    Cringe.

ReputationRep:
    If you're going non-iron, buy quality. Austin Reed make great non-iron shirts...they're about £50 each, but they'll save you a good hour of your Sunday evening :awesome:!

ReputationRep:
    non-iron shirts are made from ****** material (not pure cotton although they advertise it as such). I hate ironing as well but I found an extremely affordable dry cleaner (kensington dry cleaners) which costs around £6 for 5 shirts (they iron them for you). You book it via phone, they come to your door and can bring them back your door in 24-48 hrs. So yeah, ive been using them and I think its definitely worth 25£ a month to have all your shirts washed and ironed. As for shirts, I buy them from John Lewis. Best brands, in my opinion, for quality are Balmain, Chester Barrie, Daniel Hechter, Paul Costelloe. These are normally shirts in the £30 to £60 range, which I think is OK from a price-quality perspective. I bought around 12 of them in the January sale from John Lewis for around £10-£15 each which was a total bargain. Thomas Pink is another brand that makes high-quality shirts but are a bit expensive. As for ties, I buy them from from S. Ferragamo and Suit Supply.

ReputationRep:
    agree that non iron shirts suck. I'm just not a fan of the material. They get hot in the summer as the material is thicker than normal shirts and doesnt breathe as well.

I personally like the 140s shirts at Charles Tyrwhitt, about £45. Worth the jump in quality from regular ones. Yeah, and TM Lewin, Charles Tyrwhitt and Hawes and Curtis are always on sales. Their "sale" £25 shirts are their normal price. I've never seen them sold at "full" price.

Also, TM Lewin suits are most definitely crap as a previous poster mentioned, and are not good value by any means.

ReputationRep:
    you want to ball? don't buy from online retailers. take the effort to go and find quality which isn't on a computer screen. Agree with loggins about Austin Reed - shirts that last more than 2 washes. Have a couple of nice Jaeger shirts too, great quality, and a Chester shirt and suit - personal favourite (great shout andy87).

ReputationRep:
    Cringe.
    In fairness these shirts have thus far been used in my part-time job. No point wearing high-quality when you work for John Lewis tbh.

I am planning on getting nice shirts when I have an actual job.

(Original post by andy87)
    non-iron shirts are made from ****** material (not pure cotton although they advertise it as such). I hate ironing as well but I found an extremely affordable dry cleaner (kensington dry cleaners) which costs around £6 for 5 shirts (they iron them for you). You book it via phone, they come to your door and can bring them back your door in 24-48 hrs. So yeah, ive been using them and I think its definitely worth 25£ a month to have all your shirts washed and ironed. As for shirts, I buy them from John Lewis. Best brands, in my opinion, for quality are Balmain, Chester Barrie, Daniel Hechter, Paul Costelloe. These are normally shirts in the £30 to £60 range, which I think is OK from a price-quality perspective. I bought around 12 of them in the January sale from John Lewis for around £10-£15 each which was a total bargain. Thomas Pink is another brand that makes high-quality shirts but are a bit expensive. As for ties, I buy them from from S. Ferragamo and Suit Supply.
    Iiiinteresting...

I shall definitely investigate this further, I have need looking for a decent drycleaner for bloody ages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakezg)
    Are T M Lewin even that good? Be interested to get peoples opinions as I've spoken to a few people who rate M+S as better value.
    I got a couple of TM Lewin shirts which were awful. Impossible to iron and the material doesn't breathe.

Will never go back.

Best shirts I've bought to date were Thomas Pink.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nimiza)
    I got a couple of TM Lewin shirts which were awful. Impossible to iron and the material doesn't breathe.
    And crease within 5 seconds. I found bending down to tie my shoelaces before even having left the house made all the ironing in vain.

One of my best shirts is Canali. Irons like a dream, washes amazingly. They're expensive full price though, got mine in a sale.

ReputationRep:
    And crease within 5 seconds. I found bending down to tie my shoelaces before even having left the house made all the ironing in vain.

One of my best shirts is Canali. Irons like a dream, washes amazingly. They're expensive full price though, got mine in a sale.
    Yep, I've really gone off the Lewins ones always look great when I put them on at home and by the time you get to work it looks like you slept in it!!

Charles Tyrwhitt do some non-iron ones that are not too bad...they're doing 4 for £90 at the moment with selected (EVERY!) firm in the city.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.