Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is the entry requirements: AAB to include Mathematics, either Physics or Chemistry and either Further Mathematics, Economics or a Physical/Life Science.

I have A-level;
    Psychology-A
    Biology-B
    Chemistry-B

Self-teaching maths, and got A grade at AS and now doing A2.

So the last A-level they specify is either FM, economics or a Physical/Life Science. Cant include biology A-level because I got a grade 'B' in that, so would have to count psychology, But does this count as a life science?

ReputationRep:
    Surely it is AAB in any order. If they want As in a particular subject they will say so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Surely it is AAB in any order. If they want As in a particular subject they will say so.
    exactly that, they didn't specify which subject they want 'A' grades in. Now I just got rejected for not meeting the entry requirements.

I spoke to the admission tutor and he said that they specify an A in chemistry and A in maths.

If they had put that on their website than I would not have applied and wasted my choice, as I know I would not meet the entry grades required.

ReputationRep:
    You wouldnt meet the requirements you would have an A in maths, and a B in Chemistry, you would then need a third A in "Further Mathematics, Economics or a Physical/Life Science". As far as I am aware Psychology is a Social Science not a life science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JumpingJonny)
    You wouldnt meet the requirements you would have an A in maths, and a B in Chemistry, you would then need a third A in "Further Mathematics, Economics or a Physical/Life Science". As far as I am aware Psychology is a Social Science not a life science.
    I just spoke to the admission tutor, he said psychology was fine but, I had to have an A in chemistry. So that's why I got rejected, and I am not planning on retaking that subject.

I just wish they were a bit more specific about their entry requirements. As I could have chosen another uni where I do meet the minimum entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sel1234)
    I just spoke to the admission tutor, he said psychology was fine but, I had to have an A in chemistry. So that's why I got rejected, and I am not planning on retaking that subject.

I just wish they were a bit more specific about their entry requirements. As I could have chosen another uni where I do meet the minimum entry requirements.
    Which course and uni is this for? I fancy taking a look at their entry requirements :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Ucl Chemical Engineering.

ReputationRep:
    The funny thing is I applied last year and got an offer from them, and I checked their entry requirements to see if it had changed for this year, exactly the same words written as it was from last year. Kind if my fault though as I still should have checked with the admission tutor.

ReputationRep:
    From reading through it a few times, it seems like they mean to say an A in mathematics, another A in either physics or chemistry, and a B in further mathematics, economics or a physical/life science, but the way they've worded it isn't clear and doesn't necessarily make it obvious that the subjects are in order of the grades stated.

So I think your problem is actually having the B in chemistry. To meet the requirements you would need to achieve an A in maths, have an A in Chemistry and the B could be in biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    From reading through it a few times, it seems like they mean to say an A in mathematics, another A in either physics or chemistry, and a B in further mathematics, economics or a physical/life science, but the way they've worded it isn't clear and doesn't necessarily make it obvious that the subjects are in order of the grades stated.

So I think your problem is actually having the B in chemistry. To meet the requirements you would need to achieve an A in maths, have an A in Chemistry and the B could be in biology.
    Yes your right, kind of feel dumb for not realising that after my rejection.

ReputationRep:
    Its all over the press though that with applications up 20% this year unis are upping the grades required to more than what they advise in the prospectus.

ReputationRep:
    Ucl Chemical Engineering.
    Hmmm I see your point that does seem unfair, I guess you could speculate they would want AA in Maths and Chemistry as it is Chemical Engineering; but then to speculate isnt fair and it isnt specified. Although it is unfair there isnt much you can do about now, where are you looking to go now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JumpingJonny)
    Hmmm I see your point that does seem unfair, I guess you could speculate they would want AA in Maths and Chemistry as it is Chemical Engineering; but then to speculate isnt fair and it isnt specified. Although it is unfair there isnt much you can do about now, where are you looking to go now?

well I thankfully got interviews at
    Birmingham
    Manchester
    Loughborough
    surrey

so hopefully I will have an offer from one of these at the very least.

I would not have minded if I got rejected because my PS is not good enough, or other students have better grades than me. Its just that I did not meet the bare entry requirements and I had no idea.

ReputationRep:
    On Birmingham's website it says AAB to include chemistry and Maths, it does not specify specific subjects they want A grades in. I have got an interview/open day with them?

ReputationRep:
    On Birmingham's website it says AAB to include chemistry and Maths, it does not specify specific subjects they want A grades in. I have got an interview/open day with them?
    If you have gotten far enough to get to an interview/open day then they probably haven't specified, as they have given you an interview after seeing your grades. Howver if you are concerned just ring up the admissions and double check with them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.