Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Immigration, colour and religion watch

ReputationRep:
    Should colour and religion be a factor in immigration?

Should perference be give for people with a religion or colour that would help them "blend" in with the natives?

How would such a preference work in practice, would immigrants' complexions be graded against a colour chart and their religious beliefs checked for compatibility?

ReputationRep:
    Colour should never come into it. Its not exactly something you can choose or help is it.

ReputationRep:
    Colour should always be a factor.
    I know some people disagree but I just don't trust blue skinned people - Its racist I know, but the blue skin... its just not white/black/mixed... I just cannot trust it.

Damn aliens taking jobs... They annoy me.

But in all seriousness, I don't give a damn about the colour of someones skin. If they are rich, educated or experienced they should be in the United Kingdom.

ReputationRep:
    Complexions marked against a colour chart? If thaty was intentionally funny then you should go into stand up :rofl2:

I think it should be like Australia's system where you have to prove you'd benefit their economy through your qualifications/willingess to work and having a fairly low cap on the amount actually let in.

ReputationRep:
    No. Nothing to do with color or religion.

Brains, education, skills, linguistics, ability to contribute, background, health, wealth, etc - these are the factors that should be considered - that's what every other sensible country bases their immigration systems on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)

Brains, education, skills, linguistics, ability to contribute, background, health, wealth, etc - these are the factors that should be considered - that's what every other sensible country bases their immigration systems on.
    Willingness to stay and be patriotic, and respect the culture are factors to consider though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude Where's My Username)
    Complexions marked against a colour chart? If thaty was intentionally funny then you should go into stand up :rofl2:

I think it should be like Australia's system where you have to prove you'd benefit their economy through your qualifications/willingess to work and having a fairly low cap on the amount actually let in.
    :ottid: you beat me to it

ReputationRep:
    No, but what they have to offer...yes.

ReputationRep:
    No the pigments in their skin shouldn't matter at all.

We have this thing where we can choose our own religion that speaks truest to us so wouldn't that go against it? The country is a Christian country but I'm no Christian.

ReputationRep:

Agree with this. ^

The only thing that should be country specific is language. Ie. French would be massively useful in France but not in the UK, where English should be preferred obviously. Other than that, colour / religion shouldn't matter. And they really don't matter now, they would only have worked had immigration since the late '40s been exclusively white + Christian... now things are far too mixed to have an effect even if a future (BNP) government wanted to do such a thing.

ReputationRep:
    Does nobody want to let in refugees, people who might get killed if they stay in their home country or something? Like we let in a fair few Bosnians and Serbians during that whole Yugoslavia conflict. I mean they may not always be a great benefit to the economy, but you know, it's sometimes nice to help out people like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude Where's My Username)

It could be a problem if you go on holiday, get a tan and then refused entry to the UK because you are too dark. You'll have to use a lot of sun block or show them the bits covered by your thong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    It could be a problem if you go on holiday, get a tan and then refused entry to the UK because you are too dark. You'll have to use a lot of sun block or show them the bits covered by your thong.
    What if you went to a nudist beach?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Your an idiot if you think that race is solely an issue of colour of skin.

Even the most tanned European will never look like an African.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    Your an idiot if you think that race is solely an issue of colour of skin.

Even the most tanned European will never look like an African.
    But, they could look Arab or Turk...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonjon123)
    But, they could look Arab or Turk...
    More easily, but it would still be hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Colour should always be a factor.
    I know some people disagree but I just don't trust blue skinned people - Its racist I know, but the blue skin... its just not white/black/mixed... I just cannot trust it.

Damn aliens taking jobs... They annoy me.

But in all seriousness, I don't give a damn about the colour of someones skin. If they are rich, educated or experienced they should be in the United Kingdom.
    Goebbels was rich, highly educated and experienced...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Should colour and religion be a factor in immigration?

Should perference be give for people with a religion or colour that would help them "blend" in with the natives?

How would such a preference work in practice, would immigrants' complexions be graded against a colour chart and their religious beliefs checked for compatibility?
    Both colour and religion are deciding factors in Switzerland because of the way their citizenship policies are set up. The local "councils" have the final say, and they tend to favour white Europeans other brown/black Arabs/Africans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Tourist)
    Goebbels was rich, highly educated and experienced...
    Oh god, OH GOD CLOSE THE BOARDERS ! D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by near_comatose)
    Oh god, OH GOD CLOSE THE BOARDERS ! D:
    yep

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.