Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Tourist)
    Goebbels was rich, highly educated and experienced...
    Silly comment.
    Of course he would be unable to enter the United Kingdom for a number of reasons the biggest one being he was a Nazi.

ReputationRep:
    But Hitler would be excluded because he failed to get into art school and was very poor.

ReputationRep:
    But Hitler would be excluded because he failed to get into art school and was very poor.

(Original post by Antonia87)
    Colour should never come into it. Its not exactly something you can choose or help is it.
    1000% This!

Edit: and people could always lie about the religion they believe in :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Silly comment.
    Of course he would be unable to enter the United Kingdom for a number of reasons the biggest one being he was a Nazi.
    Yes it was a fantastical comment but the point is - I don't really why anyone should be in the UK just because they are rich educated and experienced.

There seems to be plenty of exceptions... supposing someone is all three of those things but is unable to conform to our way of life for example.

This is a stupid thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    No. Nothing to do with color or religion.

Brains, education, skills, linguistics, ability to contribute, background, health, wealth, etc - these are the factors that should be considered - that's what every other sensible country bases their immigration systems on.
    THIS!
    Colour chart! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Does nobody want to let in refugees, people who might get killed if they stay in their home country or something? Like we let in a fair few Bosnians and Serbians during that whole Yugoslavia conflict. I mean they may not always be a great benefit to the economy, but you know, it's sometimes nice to help out people like that
    That's refugees, not immigrants. Also, they're supposed to go to their closest safe country if they're just moving for safety.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    That's refugees, not immigrants.
    Are refugees not immigrants? I was under the impression that anyone who has moved from one country to live in another is an immigrant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chillaxer)
    Willingness to stay and be patriotic, and respect the culture are factors to consider though.
    There's a need for balance, so people migrating out is not always a bad thing. I think it should be a factor for students though, even if they're paying more for their place.

ReputationRep:
    Colour should always be a factor.
    I know some people disagree but I just don't trust blue skinned people - Its racist I know, but the blue skin... its just not white/black/mixed... I just cannot trust it.

Damn aliens taking jobs... They annoy me.

But in all seriousness, I don't give a damn about the colour of someones skin. If they are rich, educated or experienced they should be in the United Kingdom.

Goddamit those Na'avi. Taking our damn jobs..... BNP BNP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Are refugees not immigrants? I was under the impression that anyone who has moved from one country to live in another is an immigrant.
    I never thought so, but maybe I'm wrong. I thought they were different because refugees seek temporary asylum while immigrants move 'permanently'.

ReputationRep:
    you people will have heart attack if you keep worrying about Blacks and Asians in the UK at all times, they will be here forever even after you are gone. Perhaps Britain shouldnt have had hand in slavery or seek help from nigeria and india after the war. now what is done is done let the government take care of herself. And the tax they earn this country is too much so whoever gets angry is actually a moron

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if the proposition is for the United Kingdom or a universal benchmark for immigration? As of course it's for each national parliament to decide who it wants and doesn't want in its country. Unless of course you're in the EU and you really don't have much control of your borders.

Colour, Religion, Language, Culture, Race should all be ignored when looking at immigration.

The first question : why do we need immigrants in the United Kingdom?
    Answer: To fill job vacancies: thus the only criteria will be do the people we allow into the country have the skills and the abilities to do the jobs required of them.

Secondly: How do we expect these immigrants to fit in to our society?
    Answer: Depending on their visa status, of course. If here permanently then every effort should be made on the part of the immigrant to fit into the community and on the part of the community to welcome people from different backgrounds.

Of course, this is pure utopia. Anyone living in any large urban area in the UK will be quick to tell you how it really is, but the politicians just aren't interested in what normal people think, are they? Far better to live in Notting Hill and preach about 'multiculturalism' and how Britain could learn a few things from Asian cultures..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tropical brainstorm)
    Colour, Religion, Language, Culture, Race should all be ignored when looking at immigration.
    Not at all.
    Language and culture are quite important. Both determine how successfully an immigrant can integrate into our society. Recently, and though this does sound funny, the Government has been seeking to teach immigrants about items of everyday British life.

One example; and this is the funny one, immigrants need to learn how to queue.

Of course language is vitally important - If they cannot speak English, they shouldn't be here.

The first question : why do we need immigrants in the United Kingdom?
    Answer: To fill job vacancies: thus the only criteria will be do the people we allow into the country have the skills and the abilities to do the jobs required of them.
    Sorry, that is flawed.
    You cannot fill vacancies with immigrants. It may come as a surprise to you, but immigrants demand things too - They want food etc
    Thus someone needs to supply their demand, and thus we need more vacancies. You cannot fill vacancies with immigrants otherwise you cause a spiral.

ReputationRep:
    hahaha. OP you are very nieve.

Baring in mind immigration is based on ethnicity not race, you can't really control race, and you're saying that you want immigrants only from one race in the uk?

ReputationRep:
    Also I think that different governments have had different views on this, usually following one of the sociological theories. Currently it's New Left, and it has been New Right, Marxist and Functionalist.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all.
    Language and culture are quite important. Both determine how successfully an immigrant can integrate into our society. Recently, and though this does sound funny, the Government has been seeking to teach immigrants about items of everyday British life.

One example; and this is the funny one, immigrants need to learn how to queue.

Of course language is vitally important - If they cannot speak English, they shouldn't be here.

Sorry, that is flawed.
    You cannot fill vacancies with immigrants. It may come as a surprise to you, but immigrants demand things too - They want food etc
    Thus someone needs to supply their demand, and thus we need more vacancies. You cannot fill vacancies with immigrants otherwise you cause a spiral.
    Sorry I don't think I made my case very clearly. When I said that language, culture, customs etc. weren't important, I didn't mean to say that we should allow anyone to live in the country regardless of these things, I meant to say that we should promote our British way of doing things to immigrants. If people can't speak English they have no place trying to claim benefits and live at our expense.

As for 'teaching' how to queue, well we've already taught the world how to play cricket and rugby, why not this too!

My point about vacancies was more that there are gaps in the labour market that immigrants seem to come to fill, not that this is necessarily the BEST course of action or that it has overly positive effects.

The 'indigenous' Brits seem for whatever reason to not want to take such jobs and so they are 'undercut' by foreign labour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tropical brainstorm)
    If people can't speak English they have no place trying to claim benefits and live at our expense.
    If they cannot speak English they shouldn't be here.

As for 'teaching' how to queue, well we've already taught the world how to play cricket and rugby, why not this too!
    Football is English too

The 'indigenous' Brits seem for whatever reason to not want to take such jobs and so they are 'undercut' by foreign labour.
    Yes, foreign labour is willing to work cheaper and will suffer a lower standard of living. This effectively removes Brits from the playing field.

ReputationRep:
    How many people who are English can actually speak English properly. I bet many more foreigners can.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.