Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Voters 'deeply pessimistic' about Britain and believe it is 'broken', says poll Watch

ReputationRep:
    Voters are deeply pessimistic about the state of Britain and the majority believe the country is "broken" and heading in the wrong direction, according to a new poll.

Almost three in five voters said they could hardly recognise the country they lived in and 82 per cent think it is time for a change, it found.

Overall, almost two thirds believe Britain is going in the wrong direction and less than a third believe it is on the right track.

Three in five of those polled said they looked to the future with optimism, compared to 38 per cent who are looking forward with anxiety.
    More than half the public said their children’s lives will be better than their own, while 37 per cent beleived it would be worse.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/elec...says-poll.html

Very interesting.

There are of course a number of ways to interpret this, the first being that Labour has failed entirely and that the public agrees with David Cameron in his comments about a broken Britain.

However, what makes these views particularly interesting is that many believe the country will improve and that their children will have a better life.

Hopefully that is true and could be dependant on a Conservative victory at the general election.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, britain is broekn, a large crack has appeared just south of birmingham, brown says that with the sate of the economy, he can't afford enough double sided sticky tape to fix it, so we're gona have to use scotch tape and just cross our fingers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.economist.com/opinion/dis...ry_id=15452811

'It has become fashionable to say that British society is in a mess and getting worse. It isn’t'

ReputationRep:
    This does not come as a surprise to me. However, I'd like to hear the justifications for the predictions that younger generations will have betters lives and that things will get better.

ReputationRep:
    Rubbish

Britain is better off now than we have ever been and the situation can only continue to improve.

All this poll shows is how easy it is for sensationalist headlines in crappy tabloids to blind people to reality

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris91S)
    Rubbish

Britain is better off now than we have ever been and the situation can only continue to improve.

All this poll shows is how easy it is for sensationalist headlines in crappy tabloids to blind people to reality
    The Telegraph isn't a crappy tabloid though.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't every country has it's ups and downs. I must admit our governmnts not doing too well but we are much better off than some other countries i think

ReputationRep:
    Britain isn't broken, what does that mean anyway. Britain is a country full of decent people who get along most of the time and help each other. Britons are also pretty wealthy with decent healthcare, legal system and low crime.

I really dislike it when journalists use isolated incidents to broad brush the whole country. Its dishonest and distorts the views of the gullible and prejudiced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I don't think it was a poll on The Telegraph readers only, just a diverse sample of people (though I could be wrong - I can't find any links to the poll or its results).

Considering the amount of people that read tabloids in this country, the figure sounds about right; people generally believe the overblown sensationalist **** that most of the media comes out with today - that Britain is totally broken, that monkeys can now do A-levels, that John Terry's job as England captain was to be a role model, and not England captain etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris91S)
    Rubbish

Ho ho ho ha ha ho ho ha ...........

ReputationRep:
    Explain "broken"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    No. It's worse. It's the shrill bastion of the richer parts of the Home Counties. It's easy to see Britain as broken when all you hear about how the 75% or so of the population who're poorer than you live is scare stories about ASBOs and knife crime.

ReputationRep:
    Some facts the economist publushed this week about why Britain is not broken:
    Murders at their lowest for 19 years.
    Consumption of Narcotics have been steadily dropping.
    Although Teenage pregancies are too high, todaya girl aged between 15 and 19 is half as likley to ahve a baby in her teeen as he grandmother.
    Although her partner is less likley to stick with her, he is also less likley to beat her.

I could go on. Britian is not a broken society, its just more individulaist than it was with more people socially mobile than years ago. With people tending to wish we were back in the 1950s/60's you might forget about the horrors that occured there such as rampant homophobia, rascism,sexism and domestic violence which were all too common.

ReputationRep:
    Broken? We're hardly living in abject poverty in Chad or Afghanistan with militants gunning people down willy nilly as they see fit. People need some perspective. Some would voluntarily chop limbs off to have a chance at living here.

Yes its 'broken' to the core,and I wonder who are the only people able to fix it......The lovely little Tories?
    To this day what 'broken' means I have not the slightest of idea.

ReputationRep:
    There's something going on in politics, it's like a limbo phase whilst world order is restructuring again. China owns the hegemonic powers' debt, America is therefore uncertain of it's poisition (in the domestic sphere aswell), Britain by association needs to do more for itself but has lost the capacity to do so, the European bloc is kicking out at the challenge rising out from 'the tigers of Asia'. All this has had a perceptible effect on the populace; just need to sit tight and hope we're not made completely redundant as a nation by the end of this period.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it would be possible for the British public to be happy whatsoever without some kind of apocalyptic scenario to keep them scared and self important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben F)
    I don't think it was a poll on The Telegraph readers only, just a diverse sample of people (though I could be wrong - I can't find any links to the poll or its results).

Considering the amount of people that read tabloids in this country, the figure sounds about right; people generally believe the overblown sensationalist **** that most of the media comes out with today - that Britain is totally broken, that monkeys can now do A-levels, that John Terry's job as England captain was to be a role model, and not England captain etc. etc.
    Well, bad news sells.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    I don't think it would be possible for the British public to be happy whatsoever without some kind of apocalyptic scenario to keep them scared and self important.
    The British are happiest when they are unhappy.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously most people polled were complete idiots, which would of course be in line with most representative polls...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.