Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Voters 'deeply pessimistic' about Britain and believe it is 'broken', says poll watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben F)
    I don't think it was a poll on The Telegraph readers only, just a diverse sample of people (though I could be wrong - I can't find any links to the poll or its results).

Considering the amount of people that read tabloids in this country, the figure sounds about right; people generally believe the overblown sensationalist **** that most of the media comes out with today - that Britain is totally broken, that monkeys can now do A-levels, that John Terry's job as England captain was to be a role model, and not England captain etc. etc.
    It was a populus poll, a little more detail on the results in this article:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle7019841.ece

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darigan)
    Yes, britain is broekn, a large crack has appeared just south of birmingham, brown says that with the sate of the economy, he can't afford enough double sided sticky tape to fix it, so we're gona have to use scotch tape and just cross our fingers

Brilliant! I was going to mention lego, but yours is better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    The Telegraph isn't a crappy tabloid though.
    Quite right.
    The Telegraph is a brilliant newspaper and has some absolutely brilliant columnists and bloggers: Boris Johnson, Janet Daley, Daniel Hannan, Norman Tebbit, Benedict Brogan and James Delingpole to name a few.
    The Telegraph View is also a brilliant read.

The Telegraph is number one.

(Original post by Ben F)
    I don't think it was a poll on The Telegraph readers only, just a diverse sample of people (though I could be wrong - I can't find any links to the poll or its results).
    If I am not mistaken, the poll was commissioned by The Times by the polling organisation populus.

(Original post by Gremlins)
    No. It's worse. It's the shrill bastion of the richer parts of the Home Counties. It's easy to see Britain as broken when all you hear about how the 75% or so of the population who're poorer than you live is scare stories about ASBOs and knife crime.
    It would be ironic if you read the Guardian :P

See above post about how great the Telegraph is.

(Original post by fire2burn)
    Broken? We're hardly living in abject poverty in Chad or Afghanistan with militants gunning people down willy nilly as they see fit. People need some perspective. Some would voluntarily chop limbs off to have a chance at living here.
    Broken Society and poverty are very different.
    One can live in an unbroken society but remain in poverty, equally one can live in a broken society and not live in poverty. They are not synonymous.

One example of a broken society could be the degradation of morality and religious values. If this is so, countries in poverty could very well be unbroken, whereas one can argue morality and Britain has just disappeared.

Those punk *******s hanging on street corners, paedophiles everywhere, criminals everywhere, immigrants doing God knows what and blowing up whatever bus...

So whatever one includes as making a society broken, it dose not necessarily mean the society suffers from poverty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Quite right.
    The Telegraph is a brilliant newspaper and has some absolutely brilliant columnists and bloggers: Boris Johnson, Janet Daley, Daniel Hannan, Norman Tebbit, Benedict Brogan and James Delingpole to name a few.

The Telegraph is number one..
    I like it. Read it most days online.

ReputationRep:
    Quite right.

The Telegraph is number one.
    I'm a Times guy myself, but I'll agree - the Telegraph is very good too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakePearson)
    I'm a Times guy myself, but I'll agree - the Telegraph is very good too.
    Ahh the Times is quite good too

ReputationRep:
    Those punk *******s hanging on street corners, paedophiles everywhere, criminals everywhere, immigrants doing God knows what and blowing up whatever bus...

You sound like you've been reading the Daily Mail, not the Telegraph.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris91S)

Britain is better off now than we have ever been and the situation can only continue to improve.
    Oh dear, if you truly believe that then there is little hope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    http://www.economist.com/opinion/dis...ry_id=15452811

'It has become fashionable to say that British society is in a mess and getting worse. It isn’t'
    Read thi.. That article was the biggest pile of crap. What I just posted goes against everything it said.

Britain IS broken.

ReputationRep:
    All the lefty students on here view Labour's Britain through rose-tinted glasses, and genuining believe that Labour can do no wrong. The truth is there are many places that are significantly better to live in this this ****** little country. The UN ranks us as one of the lowest developed countries in the traditionally developed world.

The problem is a sizable proportion of the people in these country are denialists who aren't man enough to accept the truth and work towards change. This complacent, rose-tinted outlook is why the situation has been deteriorating.

"The Communist" may be a more fitting name for the publication.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    You sound like you've been reading the Daily Mail, not the Telegraph.
    I do not read the Daily Mail.

Why do you think I read the Daily Mail? If you look at the grass root readers of the Telegraph and the comments they leave on the website, it is quite clear what their views are.

Also take into account that many columnists and bloggers for the Telegraph including the Telegraph View section often calls for curbs on immigration.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I too am deeply pessimistic about the choice between Brown (or anyone in New Labour, and New Labour itself for that matter) and Cameron.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    Read thi.. That article was the biggest pile of crap. What I just posted goes against everything it said.

Britain IS broken.

Oh please. He doesn't refute the 'dodgy' figures at all. The figures were taken from the British Crime Survey. Instead he has to bring up the abortion straw man and call it child murder.

The guys a joke.

ReputationRep:
    The Tories will help mend broken Britain by slashing public spending. Only when services are cut will the wounds in our society be healed.

I reckon knife crime will be one of the first things to reduce when the Tories are in power, the hoodies will realise there's more to life than drugs and stabbing people and start to realise their social responsibilities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    The Tories will help mend broken Britain by slashing public spending. Only when services are cut will the wounds in our society be healed.

I reckon knife crime will be one of the first things to reduce when the Tories are in power, the hoodies will realise there's more to life than drugs and stabbing people and start to realise their social responsibilities.
    IT is good to see some people understanding it

lol

ReputationRep:
    Oh please. He doesn't refute the 'dodgy' figures at all. The figures were taken from the British Crime Survey. Instead he has to bring up the abortion straw man and call it child murder.

The guys a joke.
    And the other points. Or do you realise he is right. It is child murder when they are using as a form of contraception. But we all know people like you on the left agree with the killing of children and the elderly. You are a joke.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to know what the questions were in the poll.

ReputationRep:
    I do not read the Daily Mail.

Why do you think I read the Daily Mail? If you look at the grass root readers of the Telegraph and the comments they leave on the website, it is quite clear what their views are.

Also take into account that many columnists and bloggers for the Telegraph including the Telegraph View section often calls for curbs on immigration.

I was just making light of the fact that you accentuate the exceptions to what is otherwise a fairly dull daily life for the 60 million+ British people.

If we are to make our judgements on whether a society is broken based only on headline atrocity. Then i doubt you will find one un-broken society on the face of the Earth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    And the other points. Or do you realise he is right. It is child murder when they are using as a form of contraception. But we all know people like you on the left agree with the killing of children and the elderly. You are a joke.

I am actually moderately pro life. But the fact is that he had to use that strawman in order to give his headline any kind of credence. The figures are not dodgy, they are from the BCS. Hence the blogger you have a boner for fails.

ReputationRep:

If we are to make our judgements on whether a society is broken based only on headline atrocity. Then i doubt you will find one un-broken society on the face of the Earth.
    lol

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.