Turn on thread page Beta

Voters 'deeply pessimistic' about Britain and believe it is 'broken', says poll watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Quite right.
    The Telegraph is a brilliant newspaper and has some absolutely brilliant columnists and bloggers: Boris Johnson, Janet Daley, Daniel Hannan, Norman Tebbit, Benedict Brogan and James Delingpole to name a few.
    The Telegraph View is also a brilliant read.

The Telegraph is number one.

If I am not mistaken, the poll was commissioned by The Times by the polling organisation populus.

It would be ironic if you read the Guardian :P

See above post about how great the Telegraph is.

Broken Society and poverty are very different.
    One can live in an unbroken society but remain in poverty, equally one can live in a broken society and not live in poverty. They are not synonymous.

One example of a broken society could be the degradation of morality and religious values. If this is so, countries in poverty could very well be unbroken, whereas one can argue morality and Britain has just disappeared.

Those punk *******s hanging on street corners, paedophiles everywhere, criminals everywhere, immigrants doing God knows what and blowing up whatever bus...

So whatever one includes as making a society broken, it dose not necessarily mean the society suffers from poverty.

I think thats just the paranoia talking. I know some people could benefit from seeing a health professional about it, although they can sometimes be in denial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    I am actually moderately pro life. But the fact is that he had to use that strawman in order to give his headline any kind of credence. The figures are not dodgy, they are from the BCS.
    A leftie, athiest who's pro life, doesn't exsist. What about his other points you have still failed to address these.
    Hence the blogger you have a boner for fails
    Well sorry I'm not getting one when I see the Guardian. Just can't get one over a pile of fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    I reckon knife crime will be one of the first things to reduce when the Tories are in power, the hoodies will realise there's more to life than drugs and stabbing people and start to realise their social responsibilities.
    I seriously will doubt this will happen, its this sort of pretentiousness/fear against people in deprived backgrounds that feeds tory support. If/when Cameron wins, I hope crime wont get as bad as it was under the last tory govt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    A leftie, athiest who's pro life, doesn't exsist. What about his other points you have still failed to address these.
    Judging by your use of simple, vauge terms like, 'leftie' i can see my views are perhaps a little to complicated for you to comprehend.

Forget his other points for now. You said that the article you linked refuted the economist article for using 'dodgy figures'. Figures which were taken from the BCS, unless you explain how these figures are dodgy the rest of his strawmen points are invalid.

Well sorry I'm not getting one when I see the Guardian. Just can't get one over a pile of fail.
    Im really not into the whole 'newspaper loyalty' thing so im not sure what you are trying to get at by calling everything the Gaurdian does as 'fail'(in fact i would say it makes you rather ignorant, like all of it's competitors the paper does have many interesting articles). I like to get a broad view of the news by skimming over all publications in an attempt to bypass the bias which exists. That would mean that yes, i do read the Gaurdian website, but i also read the Telegraph/Times/Mail etc..etc..

ReputationRep:
    wow guys, the govt is not going its job proply but pls dont vote conservative there going to make it even worst. The country need change not a conservative govt. Besides if u watch conservatives all they do is critise the govt and offer nothing!! Thats cheap politics!!

ReputationRep:
    Those punk *******s hanging on street corners, paedophiles everywhere, criminals everywhere, immigrants doing God knows what and blowing up whatever bus...
    Paranoid delusions - where the Tories get their votes from? Don't be cowed by semiotics - go out and experience the world for yourself. It's really not as bad a place as the right-wing press make it out to be.

ReputationRep:
    Voters are deeply pessimistic about the state of Britain and the majority believe the country is "broken" and heading in the wrong direction, according to a new poll.

Almost three in five voters said they could hardly recognise the country they lived in and 82 per cent think it is time for a change, it found.

Overall, almost two thirds believe Britain is going in the wrong direction and less than a third believe it is on the right track.

Three in five of those polled said they looked to the future with optimism, compared to 38 per cent who are looking forward with anxiety.
    More than half the public said their children’s lives will be better than their own, while 37 per cent beleived it would be worse.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/elec...says-poll.html

Very interesting.

There are of course a number of ways to interpret this, the first being that Labour has failed entirely and that the public agrees with David Cameron in his comments about a broken Britain.

However, what makes these views particularly interesting is that many believe the country will improve and that their children will have a better life.

Hopefully that is true and could be dependant on a Conservative victory at the general election.
    I wonder if repeating the same survey in 10, 20 or 30 years time would give a different result or if it had been done 10, 20 or 30 years ago the result would have been different.

ReputationRep:
    The Telegraph is number one.
    No I think you'll find The Sun is number one, the The Daily Mail second and The Telegraph is quite far down.

ReputationRep:
    I think the people that took part in the poll were very confused, how can a two thirds think that the country is heading in the wrong direction yet half think that their children will have a better future than they did and 3 out of 5 sees the future with optimism?!:lolwut:...it just doesn't add up to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    The Telegraph isn't a crappy tabloid though.
    True, I think that technically, it is an uber-crappy berliner (or is it a 3/4.....?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prussianking666)
    Some facts the economist publushed this week about why Britain is not broken:
    Murders at their lowest for 19 years.
    I'm sorry but that statistic is totally false. Murder rates have been steadily rising over the last century, they peaked in 2003 (at 1,047) but have since dropped to about 800 - which is still higher than in 1980 when there were about 600.

more people socially mobile than years ago.
    This too is false. A study by the LSE a few years ago (the only one of its kind) showed that social mobility has gone into reverse since the 1960s - mostly due to the closure of grammar schools.

With people tending to wish we were back in the 1950s/60's you might forget about the horrors that occured there such as rampant homophobia, rascism,sexism and domestic violence which were all too common.
    This is such a disingenuous tactic of liberals. It suggests that a desire to return to the civility and cohesion of several decades ago must be accompanied by a desire to return to our intolerant attitude towards gays and people of other races. Why is this considered a reasonable assumption? It's perfectly feasible that one can crave the former without the latter.
    I would also dispute your claim that racism and homophobia have ever been 'rampant' in Britain. Problematic and deplorable certainly, but not 'rampant'. People have a tendency to confuse our history with America's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveThePhysicist)
    I'm sorry but that statistic is totally false. Murder rates have been steadily rising over the last century, they peaked in 2003 (at 1,047) but have since dropped to about 800 - which is still higher than in 1980 when there were about 600.
    How about normalised to population?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    The British are happiest when they are unhappy.
    It's true to a certain extent. It's more like happy when allowed to be pessimistic/cynical. But I don't think British people really welcome some of the political stuff we are in for now. They really have taken balls up to a new level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    How about normalised to population?
    Population adjusted the rates have still been increasing very slightly. The point however is that they certainly haven't been 'decreasing'.

If one goes back further however, to the beginning of the twentieth century, then even when adjusted for population, murder rates have risen three-fold. Crime in general has risen almost fifty-fold.

ReputationRep:
    Fascinating; you're all (mostly) right. Yes, Britons are better off now than they have ever been; only growth has slowed. Yet negative attitudes in the survey seem to indicate that "happiness" or "satisfaction" comes not from having some level of wealth, but having the prospects of improving it.

Thus, it is not absolute economic wealth that matters, but economic growth.

ReputationRep:
    This country is divided - and only going to become more so. People are increasingly going to be voting along tribal lines rather then class lines. And as immigration increases and the immigrant population grows those people are going to increasingly bring the politics of the third world to this country - which is very different to anything we know here. The state is ever increasingly totalitarian and anti Western in its mindset - wanting to interfere with peoples lives to the extent that they cannot bring their friends children to school without state involvement! Cannot say what they want - just wait till we have our own Geert Wilders. And our economy is ruined and our global influence declining as well as our education system. We will be able to defend our interests less and less as time goes on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Tourist)
    This country is divided - and only going to become more so. People are increasingly going to be voting along tribal lines rather then class lines. And as immigration increases and the immigrant population grows those people are going to increasingly bring the politics of the third world to this country - which is very different to anything we know here. The state is ever increasingly totalitarian and anti Western in its mindset - wanting to interfere with peoples lives to the extent that they cannot bring their friends children to school without state involvement! Cannot say what they want - just wait till we have our own Geert Wilders. And our economy is ruined and our global influence declining as well as our education system. We will be able to defend our interests less and less as time goes on.
    I think its over the top pessimism. What is the politics of the third world? Will Robert Mugabe stand for election in England or will David Cameron start eating his political enemies with a nice bottle of Chiante?

The economy is in a mess but its been there before and it'll come out and get better. Its part of the economic cycle.

I think you should cheer up, its not that bad. Get a hobby like go cart racing, its great fun and chases the blues away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    I think its over the top pessimism. What is the politics of the third world? Will Robert Mugabe stand for election in England or will David Cameron start eating his political enemies with a nice bottle of Chiante?

The economy is in a mess but its been there before and it'll come out and get better. Its part of the economic cycle.

I think you should cheer up, its not that bad. Get a hobby like go cart racing, its great fun and chases the blues away.
    The problem is that most people deep down will agree with what I have said.... that's what this poll has shown.

Oh don't worry - you meet me in person you'll find I'm not the gloomy sort at all. I leave that to hardcore radiohead fans

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.