Turn on thread page Beta

cosmetic surgery on the NHS watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    what do you think of this? should it be allowed? im talking about all forms for any reason

have you done it? would you?

im going to see about getting a birthmark removed from my forehead and getting a boob job when i lose weight (my boobs are also two very noticeable different sizes)

ReputationRep:
    Agree if it's justified, ie your removal of a birth mark if it's significant in size/colour. On the other hand if the surgery isn't to alter something that is having a medical effect I don't agree with it eg someone trying to get a nose job just because they want one not because it is needed

ReputationRep:
    100% again except for in extreme situations, ie you have moles all over your face making your life hell or birth marks or summat that really harms you psychologically. Otherwise no. Allow paying taxes for someone to have inflated tits. The NHS isn't there for your self-esteem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    100% again except for in extreme situations, ie you have moles all over your face making your life hell or birth marks or summat that really harms you psychologically. Otherwise no. Allow paying taxes for someone to have inflated tits.
    Agreed. Genuine medical (physical or psychological) reasons only, otherwise fund it yourself, I'd say. Not liking a body part isn't good enough reason - no one's perfect.

ReputationRep:
    Unless it's making you clinically depressed or something you're not going to be able to get any form of cosmetic surgery on the NHS. When looking at it like that I doubt many people would diagree with the NHS providing cosmetic surgery.

ReputationRep:
    i dunno, but i hope for your sake they do a bloody good job, because currently you hurt my eyes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Allow paying taxes for someone to have inflated tits. The NHS isn't there for your self-esteem.
    What about tho that have lost a significant amount of weight and therefore have lost weight from their boobs causing mental upset. Should they not be given a breast augmentation to protect their mental well being and hopefully discourage them from putting on weight to get the boobs back.

(Original post by Memphis)
    Not liking a body part isn't good enough reason - no one's perfect.
    What if them small boobs, big nose etc are causing the person to be depressed. Its like saying not wanting to be male isnt sufficient reason to fund gender reassignment surgery.

Basically what im trying to say is it cant be a clear cut answer as the resons for wanting it are often complex & difficult to understand

ReputationRep:
    I agree with it if the disfigurement (that needs surgery) is having an extreme adverse impact on the person's life - e.g. a large facial birthmark, huge boobs causing severe discomfort and back pain.

I disagree with people exploiting the NHS for their own gain. xx

ReputationRep:
    Unless there's a physical health reason then no. A lot things depress me such as going to work. I don't expect the government to give me more money so I can work less. I'm sorry but you can't justify spending the taxpayers money on boob jobs when there's so many other things that need funding in the country.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with cosmic surgery on the NHS. I am thinking of trying to get a breast reduction on the NHS. They give me shoulder pain, can't exercise properly, it affects my confidence etc etc It is compeltely neccessay if it is required but I don't agree with breast implants to get them bigger just because "it gives you low confiedence" as many people can expolit the NHS and not really mean it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    what do you think of this? should it be allowed? im talking about all forms for any reason

im going to see about getting a birthmark removed from my forehead and getting a boob job when i lose weight (my boobs are also two very noticeable different sizes)
    Should be, yes, for things like reconstructive surgery, fixing sites where old infections were, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweet_pea)
    I agree with cosmic surgery on the NHS. I am thinking of trying to get a breast reduction on the NHS. They give me shoulder pain, can't exercise properly, it affects my confidence etc etc It is compeltely neccessay if it is required but I don't agree with breast implants to get them bigger just because "it gives you low confiedence" as many people can expolit the NHS and not really mean it.
    See I'd agree with that. You're in pain, therefore physical reasons. Nosejobs should be banned from the NHS unless they can't breathe.

ReputationRep:

yet its ok for you to use the confidence thing as an excuse :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

having a birthmark removed yeah, but I'm not going to pay for your plastic tits, love.

ReputationRep:
    yet its ok for you to use the confidence thing as an excuse :rolleyes:
    Hehe I knew someone whould pick that out. What I mean is that loads of people can say they have low confidence to get breast implants to get them free from the NHS. I mean, breast implants aren't needed to improve someone's health. People usually want them to make themselves feel better, Yes, I have low confidence with my breasts cause i feel when I go out clubbing etc they just look huge and attract unwanted attention. I think that is a better reason for getting a breast job on the NHS that saying small boobs make you feel crap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    having a birthmark removed yeah, but I'm not going to pay for your plastic tits, love.

tough ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    What about tho that have lost a significant amount of weight and therefore have lost weight from their boobs causing mental upset. Should they not be given a breast augmentation to protect their mental well being and hopefully discourage them from putting on weight to get the boobs back.

If that's a good enough reason for breast englargement/augmentation on the NHS, surely anyone who has small boobs or just wants bigger boobs would have to be allowed to have them too, to discourage them from putting on weight in the first place just to get bigger boobs

ReputationRep:
    Hehe I knew someone whould pick that out. What I mean is that loads of people can say they have low confidence to get breast implants to get them free from the NHS. I mean, breast implants aren't needed to improve someone's health. People usually want them to make themselves feel better, Yes, I have low confidence with my breasts cause i feel when I go out clubbing etc they just look huge and attract unwanted attention. I think that is a better reason for getting a breast job on the NHS that saying small boobs make you feel crap

maybe not physical health no but what about mental health, i know mine cause me a lot of confidence problems, my bf has not seen me topless apart from one time he caught me changing, i wear baggy things all the time on purpose otherwise its noticeable in clothes and well they just look **** out of a bra, nips in two diff places etc

yet it would be wrong of me to get mine done on the NHS because it doesnt cause me physical pain

hypocritical, yes it bloody well is :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    tough ****
    What a mature reply. I'm so glad the taxpayer is funding people like you. I hope your surgery makes you slightly less ugly than you already are. God help this country.

ReputationRep:
    I think things such as breast reduction to solve back problems etc, removal of moles and similar from the face if there's a cancer risk or psychological problems can be seen, fixing of noses that have been previously broken and are now causing psychological/breathing issues are all OK.
    Also the reduction of scarring on the face and re-constructive surgery after any kind of accident that has resulted in scarring that harms the patient psychologically should be included.

Anything along those lines is OK in my opinion, and I would be happy that my taxes are going towards that.

I'd not be happy to pay for someone's moderately big nose to be sorted, or someone's normal sized boobs to be inflated.

I think altering anything that's just pretty much normal for a lot of people should be paid for by the patient.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.