Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    maybe not physical health no but what about mental health, i know mine cause me a lot of confidence problems, my bf has not seen me topless apart from one time he caught me changing, i wear baggy things all the time on purpose otherwise its noticeable in clothes and well they just look **** out of a bra, nips in two diff places etc

yet it would be wrong of me to get mine done on the NHS because it doesnt cause me physical pain

hypocritical, yes it bloody well is :rolleyes:
    I do understand the mental health side of things. I completley understand aswell when you say about your bf. When I met my bf it took me ages to feel ok to go about topless. I'll still go about holding my boobs mind lol Ha mine look **** out a bra too.

I do understand in some cases how breast implants can be neccessary to be given by the NHS. I was just trying to point out many people just exploit it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    What if them small boobs, big nose etc are causing the person to be depressed. Its like saying not wanting to be male isnt sufficient reason to fund gender reassignment surgery.

Basically what im trying to say is it cant be a clear cut answer as the resons for wanting it are often complex & difficult to understand
    And you're right, it is complex, but I thought I covered depression when I mentioned that a psychological medical reason was justified earlier in my original post. What I meant in the extract you quoted was regarding a reaction to your own body short of depression. More along the lines of "Hm, I wish my nose could be straighter." In hindsight, I should've been clearer.

However, often plastic surgery in depression cases, or the gender reassignment, is an extreme measure. Seeing a psychiatrist would be a cheaper and long-term fix. Someone is depressed over their nose? Change it and they may just find another body part to concentrate on. Professional psychological help may encourage someone to be happy with who they are anyway and sort the issue out all together. In my opinion, this should be the first step with surgery a drastic, last resort. Much like a gastric bypass should primarily be used after a diet has been attempted.

And for the record, my personal belief is that gender reassignment should not be provided on the NHS.

ReputationRep:
    tough ****
    Can you actually get a boob job for non-Medical reasons on the NHS though? I didn't think you could... certainly I think there would be outcry if the general public was aware of this. I would have thought you'd have to go private for cosmetic surgery that wasn't necessary, in which case no tax payer will be paying for your new chest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweet_pea)
    I do understand the mental health side of things. I completley understand aswell when you say about your bf. When I met my bf it took me ages to feel ok to go about topless. I'll still go about holding my boobs mind lol Ha mine look **** out a bra too.

I do understand in some cases how breast implants can be neccessary to be given by the NHS. I was just trying to point out many people just exploit it.
    oh yeah i know someone who basically lied to get a boob job, her tits where normal and wernt exactly tiny B/C and she claimed depression and got one to a E cup

the only reason i want mine done is they are two diff sizes, if it was just a slight difference then fair enough i wouldnt be bothered but when its two cup sizes and the nipples are in diff places thats not normal

same with my birthmark, if it was in a place where it was hidden IE on my leg/foot etc then i wouldnt bother but its on my face and its basically ruined my life, years of bullying, asking the aqward 'whats that on your forehead/why do you have a hindu spot when you are white' questions, not being able to go out without either a hat on or a fringe, im just sick of it, tried make up to cover it but because its not flat it can still be seen even with make up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy)
    Can you actually get a boob job for non-Medical reasons on the NHS though? I didn't think you could... certainly I think there would be outcry if the general public was aware of this. I would have thought you'd have to go private for cosmetic surgery that wasn't necessary, in which case no tax payer will be paying for your new chest
    She doesn't want to pay for it, but she'll go along to her GP and tell him a nice story about how its making her depressed, and she'll then basically get me and you to pay for it for her.

ReputationRep:
    maybe not physical health no but what about mental health, i know mine cause me a lot of confidence problems, my bf has not seen me topless apart from one time he caught me changing, i wear baggy things all the time on purpose otherwise its noticeable in clothes and well they just look **** out of a bra, nips in two diff places etc

yet it would be wrong of me to get mine done on the NHS because it doesnt cause me physical pain

hypocritical, yes it bloody well is :rolleyes:
    The money would be better spent on counselling for you, so you can accept your body as it is. Its possible that eople who have body issues will transfer their hate to another body part if they're allowed surgery..

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah i know someone who basically lied to get a boob job, her tits where normal and wernt exactly tiny B/C and she claimed depression and got one to a E cup

the only reason i want mine done is they are two diff sizes, if it was just a slight difference then fair enough i wouldnt be bothered but when its two cup sizes and the nipples are in diff places thats not normal

same with my birthmark, if it was in a place where it was hidden IE on my leg/foot etc then i wouldnt bother but its on my face and its basically ruined my life, years of bullying, asking the aqward 'whats that on your forehead/why do you have a hindu spot when you are white' questions, not being able to go out without either a hat on or a fringe, im just sick of it, tried make up to cover it but because its not flat it can still be seen even with make up
    That's disgusting. I wish I worked i fraud to stop people like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    The money would be better spent on counselling for you, so you can accept your body as it is. Its possible that eople who have body issues will transfer their hate to another body part if they're allowed surgery..
    i will never accept my body the way it is (hense why im trying to change it) going to talk to someone about why i hate my tits is not going to help me accept them

at the end of the day such a big difference is not normal

ReputationRep:
    What if counselling doesn't improve anything?

ReputationRep:
    i will never accept my body the way it is (hense why im trying to change it) going to talk to someone about why i hate my tits is not going to help me accept them

I agree in a way, counselling isn't going to do anything, if you want surgery get it, but you should pay, not me or anyone else.

ReputationRep:

The way you've described your breasts on here, fair enough.

I reckon I could get mine reduced on the NHS, i've been thinking about it for a while now..

ReputationRep:

Yes but everyone has something abnormal about their bodies, or something they'd like to change. How do you know you won't change the way you feel? IMO it would be better to fund counselling and if a year or so (depending on the patient, maybe more) of that doesn't work, then consider surgery as a last resort.

I'm sick of people thinking they'll 'just get surgery' to make their problems go away - its a digusting and dangerous attitude. Surgery is very very expensive & incredibly dangeous compared with alternatives. I have had various surgeries in my life and it beggars belief that there are so many people who opt into such invasive procedures without a thought to the alternatives or the possible risks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    I agree in a way, counselling isn't going to do anything, if you want surgery get it, but you should pay, not me or anyone else.

i apy tax/NIS myself

ReputationRep:
    Yes but everyone has something abnormal about their bodies, or something they'd like to change. How do you know you won't change the way you feel? IMO it would be better to fund counselling and if a year or so (depending on the patient, maybe more) of that doesn't work, then consider surgery as a last resort.

I'm sick of people thinking they'll 'just get surgery' to make their problems go away - its a digusting and dangerous attitude. Surgery is very very expensive & incredibly dangeous compared with alternatives. I have had various surgeries in my life and it beggars belief that there are so many people who opt into such invasive procedures without a thought to the alternatives or the possible risks.

lol i have thought about alternatives but like i say its not going to work because ive had years and years to accept the way my tits are and like i say talking to someone why i dont like them isnt going to help

tbh most people change (or would change given the chance) something about their body if it really was abnormal

ReputationRep:

I see. I can completely understand why you agree with cosmic surgery on the NHS. And with your breast situation then that is a real reason to get a breast augmentation and not some silly excuse like your friend used. I don't have the confidence to go to the drs about getting a breast reduction Have you seen yours for your situations?

ReputationRep:
    what do you think of this? should it be allowed? im talking about all forms for any reason

have you done it? would you?

im going to see about getting a birthmark removed from my forehead and getting a boob job when i lose weight (my boobs are also two very noticeable different sizes)
    I'm having cosmetic surgery on my chest for gynecomastia in next month, as I'd reached the end of my tether with having such a visible physical anomaly. If you're tired of your birthmark, then pursue the options. See if you can get it done for free. :P

No offense, but theres a 99% chance your difference in cup size is caused by your weight, as any differences are multiplied. Lose the weight, and it'll likely be corrected. If not, just get on the phone again.

ReputationRep:
    I agree if your case is fully justified (i.e. have suffered in a fire and your face is all burnt and needs fixing). As for all these wannabe top looking girls who lets be fair are already beautiful they just can't see it, then of course it should not be done on the NHS!

ReputationRep:
    lol i have thought about alternatives but like i say its not going to work because ive had years and years to accept the way my tits are and like i say talking to someone why i dont like them isnt going to help

tbh most people change (or would change given the chance) something about their body if it really was abnormal
    You don't know if it will work until you try it. But you're probably too ignorant to benefit from something like self-improvement.

EDIT - not calling them 'tits' might be a step in the right direction..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweet_pea)
    I see. I can completely understand why you agree with cosmic surgery on the NHS. And with your breast situation then that is a real reason to get a breast augmentation and not some silly excuse like your friend used. I don't have the confidence to go to the drs about getting a breast reduction Have you seen yours for your situations?
    my sisters friend had a reduction, she went froma GG to a D/DD, i would really see about getting yours reduced if they are causing you a lot of pain, sisters mate said its the best thing she ever did, said she can wear nice things and not feel like shes hanging out, can exercise without pain etc

havnt seen about mine yet, want to lose a bit of weight first and see how i feel then, defo going to see about my birthmark ASAP though

ReputationRep:
    i apy tax/NIS myself
    I'd be surprised if the contribution you've made to the NHS so far covers the cost of cosmetic surgery. Even if it does, the point of the NHS is to provide treatment on the basis of clinical need. Even if you do manage to sucker a GP into referring you for cosmetic surgery under the guise of psychological distress, at the end of the day you'll just be a fraud and a cheat - it doesn't mean that such a procedure should be available for free from an institution with a limited budget and a remit to help people who actually need it. I hate the idea of someone missing out on access to cancer treatment in order to fund your tits

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.