Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

cosmetic surgery on the NHS watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamkund)
    I'm having cosmetic surgery on my chest for gynecomastia in next month, as I'd reached the end of my tether with having such a visible physical anomaly. If you're tired of your birthmark, then pursue the options. See if you can get it done for free. :P

No offense, but theres a 99% chance your difference in cup size is caused by your weight, as any differences are multiplied. Lose the weight, and it'll likely be corrected. If not, just get on the phone again.
    its not caused by my weight, they developed like this, i was thin when i was younger and there was still a 2 cup size difference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    my sisters friend had a reduction, she went froma GG to a D/DD, i would really see about getting yours reduced if they are causing you a lot of pain, sisters mate said its the best thing she ever did, said she can wear nice things and not feel like shes hanging out, can exercise without pain etc

havnt seen about mine yet, want to lose a bit of weight first and see how i feel then, defo going to see about my birthmark ASAP though
    What back size and how old was she?

ReputationRep:
    my sisters friend had a reduction, she went froma GG to a D/DD, i would really see about getting yours reduced if they are causing you a lot of pain, sisters mate said its the best thing she ever did, said she can wear nice things and not feel like shes hanging out, can exercise without pain etc

havnt seen about mine yet, want to lose a bit of weight first and see how i feel then, defo going to see about my birthmark ASAP though
    Wow. I'm a G cup myself and fancy going down to a D/DD. How long did it take her to recover? I am jealous

Let me know how you get on about your birth mark. I feel like making an appointment with my dr any day now!

ReputationRep:
    Personally,I dont agree on it.

I think that cosmestic surgery on NHS should be strictly regulated.The reason is because it will be open to abuse w/o strict reglation.Some people may use clinical depression and other mental health reasons to justify their stands.I believe that NHS fund for cosmestic surgery should only be allowed for those patients who are disfigured,etc.

(people can be depressed over them being fat/skinny/ugly/having small boobs and whatever other reasons. I am not here to criticize anyone..)

I just believe that NHS fund should be diverted to other patients with serious chronic illness such as diabetics ,cervical cancer etc etc. My contention is priority should be given to those who are seriously in need of those fund.Plus,the fund can be also put into other better use for stuff like research for Aids.

:yep:

ReputationRep:
    its not caused by my weight, they developed like this, i was thin when i was younger and there was still a 2 cup size difference
    Get on the blower love. You're talking 8 months on average from booking the initial GP inquiry about the issue, to the surgery.

I first inquired 7 months ago, and my surgery is in March. Like 9 appointments later...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweet_pea)
    Wow. I'm a G cup myself and fancy going down to a D/DD. How long did it take her to recover? I am jealous

Let me know how you get on about your birth mark. I feel like making an appointment with my dr any day now!

took her about 8 weeks to be totally pain free, said she could to most things after about 5 weeks but still had slight niggling pains every now and then

(Original post by Kash:))
    What back size and how old was she?

34 i think she was, i mean she is a 8-10 overall so she was massivly out of proportion lol

ReputationRep:
    took her about 8 weeks to be totally pain free, said she could to most things after about 5 weeks but still had slight niggling pains every now and then

34 i think she was, i mean she is a 8-10 overall so she was massivly out of proportion lol
    How old was she? I'm a 30/32J, been thinking about seeing if I could get mine done.
    Do you know if you get to chose what cup size you want to be?

ReputationRep:

Hmm, I think I may make an appointment and see if I can get any surgery. I'm a 32 round the back myself and a size 10 jeans and i feel way out of proportion. I'm just scared of having an operation, never had one

ReputationRep:
    lol i have thought about alternatives but like i say its not going to work because ive had years and years to accept the way my tits are and like i say talking to someone why i dont like them isnt going to help

tbh most people change (or would change given the chance) something about their body if it really was abnormal
    But most people who want to change something will save up and have it done privately or just learn to accept the way they are.

You say counselling won't work but you've never tried it. Yeah, you've had years to "accept your tits" but there is a reason that people go and see psychiatrists/therapists and don't just sit in a room on their own talking to themselves. Therapists know how to help, how to get to the root of your low self-esteem and how to get you to start to accept yourself.

Alternatively go to your bank and set up a breast enlargement savings account.

I completely disagree with cosmetic surgery on the NHS unless there is a real medical reason or in the case of breast cancer patients who have had to have a breast removed or when someone has had, for example, a disfiguring injury or an infection that has dramatically changed the way they look. And I disagree with gender reassignment on the NHS, especially now that you're getting people who were born female, became male and are getting pregnant (as surely this goes against the whole "I was born in the wrong body" argument).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittykatkat)

You say counselling won't work but you've never tried it. Yeah, you've had years to "accept your tits" but there is a reason that people go and see psychiatrists/therapists and don't just sit in a room on their own talking to themselves. Therapists know how to help, how to get to the root of your low self-esteem and how to get you to start to accept yourself.
    I don't think you were reffering to me, but i've had lots of counselling.

Been going on and off since I can remember, i'm 19 now. It's a load of *****, really it is. I have loads of hang ups about my body, I even stopped going to school becuase of it.

All they do is refer you to someone else (I saw 10+ people last year) or put you on medication and then ring up a couple of months later to ask if you need a new prescription.

I've given up on it all now.

EDIT: From my experience anyways.

ReputationRep:
    annnnddddddd reported
    congratulations bertha

ReputationRep:
    How old was she? I'm a 30/32J, been thinking about seeing if I could get mine done.
    Do you know if you get to chose what cup size you want to be?

she was 32 when she went to see about it. 33 when she had it done

jesus yours must cause you no end of problems :eek:

(Original post by sweet_pea)
    Hmm, I think I may make an appointment and see if I can get any surgery. I'm a 32 round the back myself and a size 10 jeans and i feel way out of proportion. I'm just scared of having an operation, never had one

its normal to be worried, ive had 3 ops in my life, one on my eye that i cant remember cause i was so young, one when i broke my arm and tbh i was in so much pain that the op was a breeze lol and one on my knee when i was 13

it is worrying but it will be worth it

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you were reffering to me, but i've had lots of counselling.

Been going on and off since I can remember, i'm 19 now. It's a load of *****, really it is. I have loads of hang ups about my body, I even stopped going to school becuase of it.

All they do is refer you to someone else (I saw 10+ people last year) or put you on medication and then ring up a couple of months later to ask if you need a new prescription.

I've given up on it all now.

EDIT: From my experience anyways.

oh theres no way in hell im going on meds

ReputationRep:
    As someone who has both noticably uneven and significantly saggy boobs from weight loss, i think that in many ways expeciting surgery to fi small things is unacceptable. unless one boob is at least twice the size of the other, then this is rediculous. No medical problem or severe physical deformity = no surgery. Of course no one can argue with cosmetic surgery for those who have, for example had ther face burnt off.

chronically/terminally ill people are already suffering due to lack of nhs funds!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onething)
    As someone who has both noticably uneven and significantly saggy boobs from weight loss, i think that in many ways expeciting surgery to fi small things is unacceptable. unless one boob is at least twice the size of the other, then this is rediculous. No medical problem or severe physical deformity = no surgery. Of course no one can argue with cosmetic surgery for those who have, for example had ther face burnt off.

chronically/terminally ill people are already suffering due to lack of nhs funds!

how many cup sizes are yours different?

ReputationRep:
    how many cup sizes are yours different?
    Couldn't peple with uneven breasts just have one of their bra cups padded?

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't peple with uneven breasts just have one of their bra cups padded?

yes but thats just like sweeping rubbish under the rug, its not sorting out the problem its just glossing over it

it might make me feel slightly more confident clothes wise but as soon as the bra comes off im left with the same crappy problem

ReputationRep:
    yes but thats just like sweeping rubbish under the rug, its not sorting out the problem its just glossing over it

it might make me feel slightly more confident clothes wise but as soon as the bra comes off im left with the same crappy problem
    Yeah, but when it comes off it should be someone who you trust etc.
    My boobs are so saggy, but the bra only comes off when i'm with my boyfriend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    What about tho that have lost a significant amount of weight and therefore have lost weight from their boobs causing mental upset. Should they not be given a breast augmentation to protect their mental well being and hopefully discourage them from putting on weight to get the boobs back.
    I'm not going to respond to you properly when you cut out half my reply, especially the bit which you clearly didn't understand which is:

(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    100% disagree except for in extreme situations, ie you have moles all over your face making your life hell or birth marks or summat that really harms you psychologically. Otherwise no. Allow paying taxes for someone to have inflated tits. The NHS isn't there for your self-esteem.
    I guess you didn't quite grasp the first sentence; 'something which harms you psychologically'.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but when it comes off it should be someone who you trust etc.
    My boobs are so saggy, but the bra only comes off when i'm with my boyfriend

my bra doesnt even come off when im with my bf, i feel that bad about them when they arnt in a bra

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.