Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    yes but thats just like sweeping rubbish under the rug, its not sorting out the problem its just glossing over it

it might make me feel slightly more confident clothes wise but as soon as the bra comes off im left with the same crappy problem
    It is MORE just sweeping rubbish under the rug to give cosmetic surgery instead of help with self image issues/ whatever pshycological problems the sufferer may have.

My boobs probably arent more than 1 cup size different, their overriding problem is their terrible sagginess and rediculous stretch mark level. Eveyone has breast problems, and i agree significant deformities should be dealt with . So bigger than several cup sizes difference and I think you should be allowed surgery. However, i also agree that this should be low on the NHS priority list, since you can, i theory, choose to use padding to hide this problem from the outside world in the same way in which someone can choose not to wear a swimsuit/ shorts/short skirts etc because they are unhappy with their body.

ReputationRep:
    also, i cant see a greatly significant difference in their size from your photo, which is curiously angled for someone who has issues with their boobs :s To be honest, given the top you are wearing, i wouldnt judge that your self-confidence issues are in such a bad state that they affect your health.

also many women dont feel comfortable taking their clothes off infront of their boyfreinds, so that shouldnt worry you. You could always switch the lights off.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the NHS should be used to fund cosmetic surgery unless the patient has a severe deformity that affects them physically and/or psychologically. Burns, etc victims included.

Although I agree it would be nice. I myself have a massive issue with my breasts (they're a nasty shape and very asymetrical) and my face (I hate my eyelids, as odd as that might sound).

I still don't think I deserve surgery for free though so I'm going to instead embark on a long journey of saving money for the procedures.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Kittykatkat)
    But most people who want to change something will save up and have it done privately or just learn to accept the way they are.

You say counselling won't work but you've never tried it. Yeah, you've had years to "accept your tits" but there is a reason that people go and see psychiatrists/therapists and don't just sit in a room on their own talking to themselves. Therapists know how to help, how to get to the root of your low self-esteem and how to get you to start to accept yourself.

Alternatively go to your bank and set up a breast enlargement savings account.

I completely disagree with cosmetic surgery on the NHS unless there is a real medical reason or in the case of breast cancer patients who have had to have a breast removed or when someone has had, for example, a disfiguring injury or an infection that has dramatically changed the way they look. And I disagree with gender reassignment on the NHS, especially now that you're getting people who were born female, became male and are getting pregnant (as surely this goes against the whole "I was born in the wrong body" argument).
    Yes because a few pregnant trans men getting pregnant means that all of them are at it. The sneaky little things that they are :rolleyes:

Gender reassignment fixes a massive problem that causes major psychological distress. They're just as deserving of state funding as anyone else being caused such high levels of distress as this.

And I'm all for breast surgery when done for real reasons. Lying to get bigger boobs is just a fail. Making a massive deal out of something tiny is also just pathetic. Get over it or pay for it yourself.

I'd love to get mine reduced (doesn't help that my spine is already curved) but I'm terrified of needles and surgery. I also know that I could make things better by making simple changes such as losing weight, correcting my posture when I notice it and buying awesome sports bras. Surgery should be the last option always.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onething)
    also, i cant see a greatly significant difference in their size from your photo, which is curiously angled for someone who has issues with their boobs :s To be honest, given the top you are wearing, i wouldnt judge that your self-confidence issues are in such a bad state that they affect your health.

also many women dont feel comfortable taking their clothes off infront of their boyfreinds, so that shouldnt worry you. You could always switch the lights off.

well in that pic im bending foward and pushing them together, thats my way of disguising it

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah i know someone who basically lied to get a boob job, her tits where normal and wernt exactly tiny B/C and she claimed depression and got one to a E cup
    What did they do with the other one?

ReputationRep:
    my bra doesnt even come off when im with my bf, i feel that bad about them when they arnt in a bra
    Even during sex, with the lights off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kash:))
    Even during sex, with the lights off?

i dont have sex (no this is not the reason i dont)

but when we do stuff its either undercover with the light off if i do take my bra off or if the light is on fully covered

ReputationRep:
    Can my girlfriend have a boobjob seeing as they cause me stress because they're not perfect...
    :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    theres a difference between wanting them perfect and just wanting them to be normal :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    My view

cancer patient ie someone has breast surgery or someone loses a testicle, .I am fine with taxpayers money funding a nhs plastic surgeon helping them ,ie fake testicle boob job etc.

An nhs blunder in surgery has left someone disfigured. Yes thats fine.

A victim of crime, like that girl who had the savage chuck acid in her face. Yes ,whatever the NHS can do for her. Especially as it was partly the judicial systems fault those animals were not locked up securely as both had previous for violence.

Car accident, someone has had lots of their skin melted away. Yes that fine.

Theres always exceptions but in general,no.If someone is unhappy about something they percieve as a physical flaw they should get a job and pay for it privately. Yes lifes tough but there has to be a limit. And I think plastic surgery unless it is exceptional is a mickey take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    I'm not going to respond to you properly when you cut out half my reply, especially the bit which you clearly didn't understand which is:

I guess you didn't quite grasp the first sentence; 'something which harms you psychologically'.
    What im trying to get at is it doesnt have to be extreme to damage you psychologically even something just hurting a person self esteem is enough to damage their confidence and therefore effect their life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    What im trying to get at is it doesnt have to be extreme to damage you psychologically even something just hurting a person self esteem is enough to damage their confidence and therefore effect their life.
    So the NHS should take care of everyones self esteem as well?
    Erm, it doesn't have unlimited money, it has to deal with real health issues before perceived ones. In an ideal World maybe, in the real World, no.

ReputationRep:
    Boob jobs on the NHS are immoral.

ReputationRep:
    yes if it's affecting one's life in a negative way i.e. limiting what they do as they're messed up psychologically because of it, as someone else said. otherwise, no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)
    fake testicle boob job
    I wouldn't put it past the NHS.

ReputationRep:
    So the NHS should take care of everyones self esteem as well?
    Erm, it doesn't have unlimited money, it has to deal with real health issues before perceived ones. In an ideal World maybe, in the real World, no.
    Hmm so its better to leave someone in such a state that they dont want to go out the house, attempt suicide, go abroad for cheap but dangerous surgeory, become anorexic etc rather than go down the possibly cheaper & better for the patient route of providing free/at cost cosmetic surgery.

This shouldnt be about cost as in the longterm not treating could actually cost more!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    Hmm so its better to leave someone in such a state that they dont want to go out the house, attempt suicide, go abroad for cheap but dangerous surgeory, become anorexic etc rather than go down the possibly cheaper & better for the patient route of providing free/at cost cosmetic surgery.

So, the NHS should fund everyone with low self esteem, who cares about cancer and the post code lottery, Alzheimers, carehomes, paying nurses good wages, paying cleaners good wages... so long as we help everybody's self-esteem it's all good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    I think things such as breast reduction to solve back problems etc, removal of moles and similar from the face if there's a cancer risk or psychological problems can be seen, fixing of noses that have been previously broken and are now causing psychological/breathing issues are all OK.
    Also the reduction of scarring on the face and re-constructive surgery after any kind of accident that has resulted in scarring that harms the patient psychologically should be included.

Anything along those lines is OK in my opinion, and I would be happy that my taxes are going towards that.

I'd not be happy to pay for someone's moderately big nose to be sorted, or someone's normal sized boobs to be inflated.

I think altering anything that's just pretty much normal for a lot of people should be paid for by the patient.
    FFS

Mole if there is cancer risk = Yes ofcourse!

Mole for psychological reasons = HELL NO, the mole isn't the problem it's your mentality!!

ReputationRep:
    So, the NHS should fund everyone with low self esteem, who cares about cancer and the post code lottery, Alzheimers, carehomes, paying nurses good wages, paying cleaners good wages... so long as we help everybody's self-esteem it's all good.
    Hmm personnally the postcode lottery is a bit out of proportion alot of the drugs that get dragged into the news have little clinical benefit in comparison with their cost!!!!

Whats the obessesion with Alzheimers on here lately.
    Whats carehomes got to do with funding the NHS if you have assests and need care then yes you should pay for it.
    Paying nurses good wages, paying cleaners good wages why do they need a wage increase - nurse are now paid a decent wage and cleaning no matter whether it is in the NHS or not is a minimum wage job.

(Original post by kevin_123)
    FFS

Mole if there is cancer risk = Yes ofcourse!

Mole for psychological reasons = HELL NO, the mole isn't the problem it's your mentality!!
    Moles can become cancerous & the cost of removing them is very small anyway (Ive had 6 removed)

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.