The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Acne scars have totally consumed me, I avoid looking people in the eye, I only go out in the dark.

I am depressed because of them.

It would cost me about £300 per treatment for needling, which would have to be done every four weeks.

I would be speaking to my GP about it, if there were more options available on the NHS.
tinktinktinkerbell
what do you think of this? should it be allowed? im talking about all forms for any reason

have you done it? would you?

im going to see about getting a birthmark removed from my forehead and getting a boob job when i lose weight (my boobs are also two very noticeable different sizes)

If the aspect of your body that you want cosmetic surgery for is not endangering your life, such as your breasts and birthmark, then it should not be free. The NHS is for SICK people, not for people who want to enhance their image. The NHS is in enough debt as it is without paying out for unnecessary surgery; that money could and should be used for people with actual medical conditions. You are asking way to much of the system and quite frankly your expectations are unacceptable.
Duckzilla
If the aspect of your body that you want cosmetic surgery for is not endangering your life such as your breasts and birthmark then it should not be free. The NHS is for SICK people, not for people who want to enhance their image. The NHS is in enough debt as it is without paying out for unnecessary surgery; that money could and should be used for people with actual medical conditions, you are asking way to much of the system and quite frankly your expectations are unacceptable.

in that case they should scrap ALL cosmetic surgery from the NHS
tinktinktinkerbell

That's my point. The NHS stands for National Health Service and its money should be spent on improving peoples' health, not their self-esteem.
Duckzilla
That's my point. The NHS stands for National Health Service and its money should be spent on improving peoples' health, not their self-esteem.

you do realise that by health it also means mental health after all health isnt just physical :wink:
tinktinktinkerbell

Including those born with congenital deformities such as webbed fingers or cleft lip and palate?

Or for older people whose eyelids have drooped and they need to have skin removed so that they can see properly?

Or women who have had mastectomies and want to have their boob replaced?

Duckzilla needs to wake up and realise that not all cosmetic surgery has a life-saving aspect, but it is still required for people to live a normal healthy life.
Reply 86
kevin_123
FFS

Mole if there is cancer risk = Yes ofcourse!

Mole for psychological reasons = HELL NO, the mole isn't the problem it's your mentality!!

Yes, the mentality is the issue. To treat this, wouldn't it be wise to get to the route of the issue?

This mentality is directly caused by their appearance. I think the cost of removing the mole would be much less than cognitive behavioural therapy or whatever else they could use.

Quite obviously I'm not talking about someone just feeling a bit annoyed with the mole, I mean a psychological problem that directly affects their normal day-to-day functioning. Communicating efficiently. Working. Perhaps in extreme cases, even leaving the house. I guess it would have to be a very big mole to cause such a problem.

And this is only if the appearance is the problem. If there's something else causing that mentality, then this has nothing to do with the issue.
puddlejumper
Including those born with congenital deformities such as webbed fingers or cleft lip and palate?

Or for older people whose eyelids have drooped and they need to have skin removed so that they can see properly?

Or women who have had mastectomies and want to have their boob replaced?

Duckzilla needs to wake up and realise that not all cosmetic surgery has a life-saving aspect, but it is still required for people to live a normal healthy life.

exactly

not to mention the people who are depressed/bipolar

its all so black and white to him must be nice living in his whole little world
I actually disgaree with cosmetic surgery for peoples mental health or self worth, without considering counselling and self-esteem therapy before doing so, plus i dont think the NHS should fund it all, there should be a 'voucher' similar to glasses/opticians, ie the person only pays a couple of hundred, or how much they pay should be dependant on means
tinktinktinkerbell
exactly

not to mention the people who are depressed/bipolar

its all so black and white to him must be nice living in his whole little world

I wonder why the NHS has to tell dying people on the phone that they can't have an ambulance and some patients on maternity wards have to deliver their own children? Who deserves free treatment more, the man who is having a heart attack in his house or the woman who wants her boobs back after a mastectomy to make herself feel better?
Duckzilla
I wonder why the NHS has to tell dying people on the phone that they can't have an ambulance and some patients on maternity wards have to deliver their own children?

oh god...:rolleyes:
Reply 91
I think some things really must cause people distress so they deserve surgery on the NHS from a mental health point of view and breast reductions can be done for health reasons.

But on the other hand I don't think it's what the NHS was designed for.
I think I'd find it difficult to justify why it's necessary when a new drug (everolimus) to treat advanced Kidney cancer is being denied to patients because the NHS simply doesn't have the money...
Duckzilla
I wonder why the NHS has to tell dying people on the phone that they can't have an ambulance and some patients on maternity wards have to deliver their own children? Who deserves free treatment more, the man who is having a heart attack in his house or the woman who wants her boobs back after a mastectomy to make herself feel better?

of course there are priorities but tbh they BOTH deserve to have health care but obviously the man having the heart attack would come first, no one is denying that there are people who are more in need of healthcare
tinktinktinkerbell
of course there are priorities but tbh they BOTH deserve to have health care but obviously the man having the heart attack would come first, no one is denying that there are people who are more in need of healthcare

THE MAN HAVING THE HEART ATTACK DID NOT COME FIRST (This was a real case, not a made up example). No ambulance was sent to him because the NHS couldn't afford it as they spent money on somebody's boob job, and as a result he DIED.
unless its necessary for health reasons or say to restructure someones face after burns etc, absolutely not. If you really want balloning tits then pay for it yourself. Its the National Health Service in the end.
Reply 95
I tried to get my ears pinned back on the NHS and they refused because I wasn't under 16 so I'm looking down the barrell of shelling out about £1k-£1.5k for it, which is totally retarded as how are you supposed to know your own mind as a child. So if the NHS started offering boob jobs it'd piss me off more than just a little, having dodgy tits is something you can hide and something that'd only really affect you in the bedroom if anywhere. As opposed to quite prominent physical features that can affect self confidence.

Cosmetic surgery should be allowed in some cases on the NHS but not for bloody boob jobs of all things.
Duckzilla
THE MAN HAVING THE HEART ATTACK DID NOT COME FIRST (This was a real case, not a made up example). No ambulance was sent to him because the NHS couldn't afford it as they spent money on somebody's boob job, and as a result he DIED.

you have any proof that they used the money on he woman instead of the man having the heart attack or is all of this just out of a newspaper/off the BBC site?

doesnt every department have an allocation of cash that they can spend?
tinktinktinkerbell
you have any proof that they used the money on he woman instead of the man having the heart attack or is all of this just out of a newspaper/off the BBC site?

Obviously I cannot give a specific example. However, some boob jobs do come on the NHS, that money could have been allocated to the ambulance department because there would have been more money to allocate!
tinktinktinkerbell

Heart attack example: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/08/21/dying-oap-not-worth-ambulance-115875-21612715/

Not linked to boob jobs directly but as I said before there would be more money to allocate if there were no boob jobs on the NHS.
Duckzilla
Obviously I cannot give a specific example. However, some boob jobs do come on the NHS, that money could have been allocated to the ambulance department because there would have been more money to allocate!

just as i thought a load of hearsay from the media to try and make the NHS look bad

Latest

Trending

Trending