Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    Yes, the mentality is the issue. To treat this, wouldn't it be wise to get to the route of the issue?

This mentality is directly caused by their appearance. I think the cost of removing the mole would be much less than cognitive behavioural therapy or whatever else they could use.

Quite obviously I'm not talking about someone just feeling a bit annoyed with the mole, I mean a psychological problem that directly affects their normal day-to-day functioning. Communicating efficiently. Working. Perhaps in extreme cases, even leaving the house. I guess it would have to be a very big mole to cause such a problem.

And this is only if the appearance is the problem. If there's something else causing that mentality, then this has nothing to do with the issue.
    Removing the mole wont solve the problem..

Think of it like this.. there is a racist person living in a city. They say that the solution to his problem is to move all black people from the city. The person might be temporarily "happy" but the problem still percist, he is still racist. See what I'm saying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin_123)
    Removing the mole wont solve the problem..

Think of it like this.. there is a racist person living in a city. They say that the solution to his problem is to move all black people from the city. The person might be temporarily "happy" but the problem still percist, he is still racist. See what I'm saying?
    No, because as I said this specific psychological problem stems from the 'very noticeable' mole on a persons face. And as such, this could most probably be treated by removing the mole.

Race and racism is a different matter entirely, so is irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Accalia)
    if you've been seriously mutilated/disformed after an attack or just been born that way, it should be covered. I suppose obvious birthmarks which you don't want can fit under that too.

However, when it comes to botox/boob jobs (sorry)/nose jobs, it shouldn't be covered.
    Personally, I think pretty much this. The exceptions on the boob job front being those who need a reduction for physical reasons (Severe back pain as a result ect.), and prolly those who've had either one or both breasts removed due to cancer/whatever.

Tbh, in the OP's case - you may find once you lose a substantial amount of weight your breasts may even out due to said weight loss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crimsonchilli)
    funny one...
    And if you were actually being serious, of course not. Once again, anything unnecessary should be done privately at your own cost, not the tax payers.
    :lolwut: I am being serious..

ReputationRep:
    Only if it's for actual physical health reasons, or reconstructive surgery. Not for "bawwww, I'm sooooo depressed because I don't have boobs the size of my head", it sucks not being happy with your body, but even if you had the surgery, chances are you'll just find something else you're not happy with.

It's not up to the NHS to sort your self esteem out. What's next? Hair extensions, make up and designer clothes on the NHS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Homie)

Tbh, in the OP's case - you may find once you lose a substantial amount of weight your breasts may even out due to said weight loss.

they might they might not and if they dont i will be looking into getting them made even

it could be that the smaller one gets smaller, after all you cant spot reduce fat

and im defo seeing about my birthmark before that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    No, because as I said this specific psychological problem stems from the 'very noticeable' mole on a persons face. And as such, this could most probably be treated by removing the mole.

Race and racism is a different matter entirely, so is irrelevant.
    The "race" thing was a metaphor..

My point is, if this person has psychological problems over a mole, she has psychological issues. Removing the mole wont remove the psychological issue. Instead of removing the mole, address the psychological issue, cure the problem from its root..

ReputationRep:
    The "race" thing was a metaphor..

My point is, if this person has psychological problems over a mole, she has psychological issues. Removing the mole wont remove the psychological issue. Instead of removing the mole, address the psychological issue, cure the problem from its root..

yes it will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    yes it will
    Holy mother of god how thick are you?!?!

You're only removing a "TRIGGER" of the issue, the deeper psychological problem still persits and can be triggered by other things..

Can someone who studies Psychology back me up here?

ReputationRep:

You're only removing a "TRIGGER" of the issue, the deeper psychological problem still persits and can be triggered by other things..

ok put it this way, the only thing i get negitive comments on/got bullied for is my birthmark, take that away and the bullying/comments stop, end of

do not call me thinck just because i dont agree with you and dont tell me how i will ******* feel

im going to see about getting it done and if i can get it dont i am going to ******* jump at the chance of getting rid of this ugly mark and finally getting rid of the comments :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    ok put it this way, the only thing i get negitive comments on/got bullied for is my birthmark, take that away and the bullying/comments stop, end of

do not call me thinck just because i dont agree with you and dont tell me how i will ******* feel

im going to see about getting it done and if i can get it dont i am going to ******* jump at the chance of getting rid of this ugly mark and finally getting rid of the comments :rolleyes:
    EXCACTLY THANK YOU FOR PROVING MY POINT!

The birthmark didn't CAUSE your "problems" it was your psychological weakness to other people. Can't you just ignore them ffs, people that are emotionally weak like yourself struggle a lot..

Point is, removing the mole doesn't remove your psychological problem, sure it might make you temporarily feel better, but it doesn't solve the problem..

get it?

ReputationRep:
    If it's such a problem to you then why are you not prepared to pay for it yourself? Comes across what you just want it doing if you can get it for free.

I'm having trouble in getting an operation to re-align my broken collar bone to allow me a full range of movement in my right arm due to costs. Why do you think you should get an operation that lets be honest isn't impairing your life drastically, it's just you being insecure and will always find problems.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    EXCACTLY THANK YOU FOR PROVING MY POINT!

The birthmark didn't CAUSE your "problems" it was your psychological weakness to other people. Can't you just ignore them ffs, people that are emotionally weak like yourself struggle a lot..

Point is, removing the mole doesn't remove your psychological problem, sure it might make you temporarily feel better, but it doesn't solve the problem..

get it?
    Removing the cause of the problem would remove the problem, surely?

Mole causes upset so removal of mole would cause happiness? It's not at all weak to be upset over words. It's perfectly normal.

ReputationRep:

Not everything is text book straight forward.

Apperentley for social anxiety you should just go out and face your fears.

The other month I went out and it has made things worse.

ReputationRep:
    I think if something really affects your appearance that much, you'd save every penny you could. I only agree with it when it's maybe to get rid of loose skin after losing a lot of weight by yourself.
    However, things like scarring and birthmarks depending on the size/colour/noticeability should be removed.
    I also think Dental Veneers should be available. I had 6 at the age of 11 because my teeth were genetically terrible, I was horribly bullied for it. In the end, my parents had to take out a loan to pay for them. The entire cost shouldn't have been on the NHS, but part of it perhaps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snoogy)

Mole causes upset so removal of mole would cause happiness? It's not at all weak to be upset over words. It's perfectly normal.

exactly thank you!! :yep:

if i didnt have this mole (which btw i hated before anyone ever said anything to me about it) i wouldnt have got the comments

(Original post by Kash:))

I read the the cure for social anxiety is to go out and face your fears.

its a shame we dont all live in kevins black and white world, things would be so much 'easier' :rolleyes:

oh and kevin, im not weak thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kash:))

I read the the cure for social anxiety is to go out and face your fears.

(Original post by snoogy)

The mole isn't the "cause" of the problem, the problem lies deeper..

And it IS weak, if you let other people's words affect you then it is weak, there will always be people who do that so just rise above it/ignore it etc.

Either way I still don't think it should be paid for by taxmoney, if it's an expensive procedure then taxpayers shouldn't have to pay it. If it's a cheap procedure the person can pay for it themselfes.

And if it's a big enough problem for it to affect the person they can bloody well pay it with their own money if it's such a big deal, why should tax payers have to pay for the removal of moles..

ReputationRep:
    if it wasnt something i myself was bothered about i wouldne give a toss what people said

and YES the mole IS the problem, if there was no mole there would have been no comments, therefore NO PROBLEM

ReputationRep:
    So...the NHS can't afford to pay for new cancer drugs to save lives and apparently there's some shortage right now of medications for loads of different conditions, but they're meant to pay for you to have a birthmark removed?

if it wasnt something i myself was bothered about i wouldne give a toss what people said

and YES the mole IS the problem, if there was no mole there would have been no comments, therefore NO PROBLEM
    oh boo hoo. I got bullied for wearing glasses at school, I suppose that qualifies me for free laser eye surgery? Also got picked on for not having designer shoes, where's my free nikes?

ReputationRep:

its a shame we dont all live in kevins black and white world, things would be so much 'easier' :rolleyes:

oh and kevin, im not weak thank you very much
    Black and white? definitely not.

Maybe I'm just blessed with such amazing looks I don't know what it's like to have physical flaws. Maybe I should be more understanding to ugly people such as yourself. Still, you can at least pay it with your own money, why should tax payers have to pay for the poor quality genes of your parents?

And if the "words" of other people affect you to such an extent that you are willing to undergo a medical procedure, then you are emotionally weak.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.