Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Ah OK. The one I tried was I think a current generation 5 door, maybe that explains it.
    Yeah maybe, there's probably more safety stuff taking up room

ReputationRep:
    my general rule with cars, get at least a 1.2 litre engine, less than that theyre a pain in the arse esp if you plan on letting your friends ride on it a lot

(Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Ah, you're talking about the first generation Yaris. We can both be right.

13.7 is still a touch on the slow side, though.
    Haha yes, i bigged them up cos i have one as my first car i guess compared to a bmw 1.8 or something but to any other 67hp 1ltr isnt bad really, im happy with it atm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Logan)
    my general rule with cars, get at least a 1.2 litre engine, less than that theyre a pain in the arse esp if you plan on letting your friends ride on it a lot
    I agree, i have a 2.0 litre car and the difference in acceleration is staggering when your in on your own and then with a car full of people.
    It feels a good 2 seconds slower to 60 but i think im just imaging it, ive never actually tested it lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m_spiers)
    I agree, i have a 2.0 litre car and the difference in acceleration is staggering when your in on your own and then with a car full of people.
    It feels a good 2 seconds slower to 60 but i think im just imaging it, ive never actually tested it lol
    This is so true, I've never tested it either, but when it's 5 of us in my 1.6, it DEFINITELY feels slower, maybe it's just because I drive like a retard with mates, I don't know. But when it's just me, on my way to uni, it feels much more responsive and quicker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkraver)
    This is so true, I've never tested it either, but when it's 5 of us in my 1.6, it DEFINITELY feels slower, maybe it's just because I drive like a retard with mates, I don't know. But when it's just me, on my way to uni, it feels much more responsive and quicker.
    ha yeah. When i put my foot down normally i can feel it push me back but when loads of people in the car im like hello accelerate lol

ReputationRep:
    Yaris' are awesome...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    What do you call painfully slow? I'm just thinking about my insurance, had my license for over a year now but not had a car yet so I'm thinking a 1L will be cheaper insurance?
    0-60 in 15.7 seconds. It is outrun by such things as Land Rover Defenders and anything from a Perodua Kenari to a medium-sized van. Essentially, the 1L doesn't give out enough power. Get a 1.3L if you can, and you won't need a tailwind to get past trucks on the motorway.
    There are always plenty of naysayers about 1lr cars, but they're fine. Driving a 1lr Micra (2003, the newer model), I can say it's perfectly fast for day to day driving, it can easily outaccelerate anything like a lorry/van at lights if they're holding you up, and it makes perfectly good progress down dual-carriageways, overtakes happily enough.

OK, with a one litre you won't be outaccelerating any Porsches, but you'll be perfectly happy most of the time. Ignore people saying "You need a 1.3", it's just ********.

ReputationRep:
    I'm learning to drive in it,and its very nice. Smooth and easy to operate,don't know if its just my car but its very forgiving for changing gears etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m_spiers)
    ha yeah. When i put my foot down normally i can feel it push me back but when loads of people in the car im like hello accelerate lol
    Really? You must have a bad engine :p: Mine has exactly the same reaction with 12 people and a fully loaded roof rack as it does when it's just me when I put my foot down.... which is basically not a lot...

Going around corners is a different matter altogether though...

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Homie)
    I love my little yaris! 'Tis a 1 ltr, 5 door, '54 reg (So the old shape) and I don't think it's 'painfully slow' either. Perfect little runner around town and copes fine on motorways! I learnt to drive in the newer yaris and loved that one aswell!
    How fast do you go on the motorway? I'm worried it's going to be dead slow now from all these replies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Belle-x)
    How fast do you go on the motorway? I'm worried it's going to be dead slow now from all these replies!
    It should be fine, it has more power than most 1ltr cars, might be a little noisy at top speed, but if you're using the motorway that much then it's worth considering a larger car anyway. Just for you infor, according to Parker's, top speed of the 1tlr Yaris is 96mph.

Of course, the only way you'll be sure is to test drive one and decide for yourself if it has enough power!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomc87)
    It should be fine, it has more power than most 1ltr cars, might be a little noisy at top speed, but if you're using the motorway that much then it's worth considering a larger car anyway. Just for you infor, according to Parker's, top speed of the 1tlr Yaris is 96mph.

Of course, the only way you'll be sure is to test drive one and decide for yourself if it has enough power!
    That will be 96mph with a redlining engine and one person on board. Two people, some luggage and a hill and you're going to be in the slow lane with the lorries (and me ) That said, if I double declutch into 4th from 5th before I hit the bottom of the hill and keep the revs up then she'll fly up even with a lot of weight on board.

Everyone on here saying that a 1ltr is fine and you won't have any problems with it power wise probably hasn't driven a car with a decent amount of power behind it, or haven't for a long time. When you've tasted a Rover 3.9V8 and more torque than most cars can ever hope to even sniff at you won't want to go back to 3 cylinders and revving the nuts off it to go anywhere. I don't think we ever pushed our old Range Rover about 2,500 rpm in normal road driving, 3k if you wanted to overtake something.

ReputationRep:
    I like the Toyota Yaris, good first car .

My first car was a Morris Minor that my neighbour gave to me, driving it I thought “Well this isn’t too bad given it’s age etc.”
    Then when I first moved to New Zealand I purchased a 1.5 litre fuel injected Civic (the old boxy ones) and I though “This is nippy!”.
    However my brother liked the Civic so much that he gave me the equivalent of a few hundred quid for it and I got myself a Honda Inspire 2.5L 5-cylinder fuel injected (always liked Honda cars, still have the Inspire now), I thought “Now this is really quick!”.
    I was driving out on a back road near where I live and saw this 5l Ford Falcon XR8 for sale at an astonishing price, we reached a deal. A couple of days later and a bit of servicing I opened up the throttle full tilt coming out of a bend thinking “lets see what she can do” and ended up doing a complete 180 and looking like a tit. I thought “better get rid of this car or it will kill me”. Honestly for us normal folk to drive a car with that much power and no electronic assistance is just pointless, I mean wonderful...but pointless. I still miss it though .

ReputationRep:
    You'll be able to do 70 fine, but in a 1 litre it will be screaming above 80, it will get there it just sounds so bad you wont want to :no:

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, the top speed is 96, but i've managed to push it 99/100 :p: Going at a high speed on the motorway (Whether it be legal/illegal speed lol)it can be loud but I find if you chuck a bit of music on/the sound of outside kills the noise. When overtaking lorries/going up hills ect. it's not as if i'm crawling and taking 10 years to do these things as others have made it sound like, don't forget the yaris is small and light!

Admittedly, the only real way to find out if it's right for you is to take one (When you find one!) for a test drive and run it down the motorway, or maybe try to find something with similar specs. and see how that goes..

ReputationRep:
    Would there be much difference in my insurance with a 1L and a 1.3L?

ReputationRep:
    I bought a second hand one about a year ago. Paid £3k. I deliberately went for the Yaris as it is cheap to run and I knew I was going to be a student. It's a lovely little runaround car and copes absolutely fine on long runs. Have no complaints about it at all.

ReputationRep:
    I use the motorway for long journeys. The yaris copes fine at 80.

I would say the only thing is people see a little yaris, think it cant go fast and sit on your arse even if you are going fast. This did not happen when I had previous faster cars!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -aimz)
    I'm learning to drive in it,and its very nice. Smooth and easy to operate,don't know if its just my car but its very forgiving for changing gears etc.
    I learnt in one aswell, you literally have to flick the gear stick with one of your fingers and it slides in, not like my car that needs a damn good shove to get it back into 1st

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.