Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Its a good first car for women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Really? You must have a bad engine :p: Mine has exactly the same reaction with 12 people and a fully loaded roof rack as it does when it's just me when I put my foot down.... which is basically not a lot...

Going around corners is a different matter altogether though...

:awesome:
    Ive got a 2.0 litre Duaratec, they use in it Mondeos but ive got one in my Fiesta ST.
    Its so underpowered for a 2.0litre lol but yeah definatly noticable difference in acceleration.
    Not suprised if you can fit 12 people in vehicle, have you got a bus?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LondonMinx)
    I use the motorway for long journeys. The yaris copes fine at 80.

I would say the only thing is people see a little yaris, think it cant go fast and sit on your arse even if you are going fast. This did not happen when I had previous faster cars!
    lol faster cars get more respect. People always let me out, especially boy racers:woo:
    I was behind a learner today and the guy pulled up and waved me past was like wooo thanks:yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m_spiers)
    Ive got a 2.0 litre Duaratec, they use in it Mondeos but ive got one in my Fiesta ST.
    Its so underpowered for a 2.0litre lol but yeah definatly noticable difference in acceleration.

:p:

The gearing means that it'll pull and pull and pull all day long, it even feels like it pulls better under load and is more rev-happy if you get the turbo spinning, but the flip side is that the fastest I've ever gotten out of her was 68mph and that was pretty terrifying Surprisingly good handling for 2.5tonnes and two solid beam axles too, I can easily out-drive most of my friends in hatchbacks on twisty roads.

ReputationRep:

:p:

The gearing means that it'll pull and pull and pull all day long, it even feels like it pulls better under load and is more rev-happy if you get the turbo spinning, but the flip side is that the fastest I've ever gotten out of her was 68mph and that was pretty terrifying Surprisingly good handling for 2.5tonnes and two solid beam axles too, I can easily out-drive most of my friends in hatchbacks on twisty roads.
    So is all the torque delivered low down in the rev range and thats why the top speed is so low?
    My Fiesta is quite good on the corners, aslong as its dry lol

ReputationRep:
    So is all the torque delivered low down in the rev range and thats why the top speed is so low?
    My Fiesta is quite good on the corners, aslong as its dry lol
    Torque is very low down so it'll go anywhere at idle especially in low range (I technically have 10 forward gears with this thing, but you only ever use the higher 5 gears in normal road driving) and you get a big glob of power starting to come in at the top end of the revs as the turbo spins up but the engine physically won't rev fast enough to make best use of it. Add to this that it's shaped like a brick and has very low gearing anyway (it's designed as a do-everything kinda car, most 2.5L cars couldn't haul 12 people + luggage easily) and it just doesn't go fast. I take life pretty laid back anyway so it's no big problem for me. The cool factor more than makes up for it - "You drive THAT?!! OMG That's SO cool!!!!!" is what I get more often than not when people meet her for the first time

ReputationRep:
    You know there are various companies out there with reams of experience with Duratech engines because most kit car manufacturers use them now? You could easily get over 200bhp with a simple re map even on standard injectors...once you get serious, you can get upwards of 260-300bhp out of a Duratech.

They are really good engines, but Ford never releases their potential in their cars!

ReputationRep:
    Torque is very low down so it'll go anywhere at idle especially in low range (I technically have 10 forward gears with this thing, but you only ever use the higher 5 gears in normal road driving) and you get a big glob of power starting to come in at the top end of the revs as the turbo spins up but the engine physically won't rev fast enough to make best use of it. Add to this that it's shaped like a brick and has very low gearing anyway (it's designed as a do-everything kinda car, most 2.5L cars couldn't haul 12 people + luggage easily) and it just doesn't go fast. I take life pretty laid back anyway so it's no big problem for me. The cool factor more than makes up for it - "You drive THAT?!! OMG That's SO cool!!!!!" is what I get more often than not when people meet her for the first time
    Yeah i dont think you could fit 12 people in a car lol. Someone at my work said his 4x4 would beat most things off the line due to its traction but after a second or so he would fall behind lol
    He also said his rover would keep up with mine on the motorway, 0-60 he would have no chance but when he eventually got to motorway speeds he would be ok, i think he meant top speed lol, mine so needs a 6th gear its rubbish on the motorway, revs are like 3,000 at 70.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    You know there are various companies out there with reams of experience with Duratech engines because most kit car manufacturers use them now? You could easily get over 200bhp with a simple re map even on standard injectors...once you get serious, you can get upwards of 260-300bhp out of a Duratech.

They are really good engines, but Ford never releases their potential in their cars!
    I know Montune, Pumaspeed and Pumabuild remap, modify ST's but its to expensive and then the insurance costs.
    I think even if you supercharged a Fiesta ST your 0-60 is going to be 5-6 seconds, thats a good 3 seconds quicker than standard, but for £6000+ to get it installed and working you could of just bought an Evo and beat that 0-60 times with no modifications.
    Montune offer a 165 and 185 bhp packages but they cost £1000 at least, knock about 1 second off 0-60 so your talking 7 seconds 0-60 then. Still struggle to keep up with Golf GTi and Focus St etc.

ReputationRep:
    I know Montune, Pumaspeed and Pumabuild remap, modify ST's but its to expensive and then the insurance costs.
    I think even if you supercharged a Fiesta ST your 0-60 is going to be 5-6 seconds, thats a good 3 seconds quicker than standard, but for £6000+ to get it installed and working you could of just bought an Evo and beat that 0-60 times with no modifications.
    Montune offer a 165 and 185 bhp packages but they cost £1000 at least, knock about 1 second off 0-60 so your talking 7 seconds 0-60 then. Still struggle to keep up with Golf GTi and Focus St etc.
    Oh right fair enough.

I thought you could just put the Focus ST chip on the Fiesta ST engine as it was the same engine, just detuned...but yeh, I cannot imagine it is cheap, lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Oh right fair enough.

I thought you could just put the Focus ST chip on the Fiesta ST engine as it was the same engine, just detuned...but yeh, I cannot imagine it is cheap, lol!
    I believe the Focus ST engine is a 2.5 turbo Volvo engine so its different.
    They used the 2.0 litre Duratec in Modeos, so in a Fiesta its nippy but 0-60 of 8 seconds is nothing to shout about these days.
    Its naturally aspirated so no lag but obviously far less power than a turbo St aha
    I mean i bought my Fiesta brand new, got £4000 off the list price but if i added £6000 it would cost for a SC i could of bought a 2nd hand evo, but wouldnt of been able to afford the insurance on it lol

ReputationRep:
    I believe the Focus ST engine is a 2.5 turbo Volvo engine so its different.
    They used the 2.0 litre Duratec in Modeos, so in a Fiesta its nippy but 0-60 of 8 seconds is nothing to shout about these days.
    Its naturally aspirated so no lag but obviously far less power than a turbo St aha
    I mean i bought my Fiesta brand new, got £4000 off the list price but if i added £6000 it would cost for a SC i could of bought a 2nd hand evo, but wouldnt of been able to afford the insurance on it lol
    Yeh that was only in the ST-3, the ST-1 and ST-2 used the same 2ltr Duratech engine as yours, I think. I have been looking into buying a Focus ST and the ST-3 is the one to get because of the Volvo engine, but the ST-1 has the Duratech unit with more bhp than your engine.

I think!!

To be fair, you are probably right, I mean the power gains you will get are probably pretty minimal, but a remap could unleash some potential and they are usually less than £500 if you get it dyno'd as well.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i dont think you could fit 12 people in a car lol. Someone at my work said his 4x4 would beat most things off the line due to its traction but after a second or so he would fall behind lol
    He also said his rover would keep up with mine on the motorway, 0-60 he would have no chance but when he eventually got to motorway speeds he would be ok, i think he meant top speed lol, mine so needs a 6th gear its rubbish on the motorway, revs are like 3,000 at 70.
    I very much doubt what he says. Any extra traction gained would be negated by the extra weight of the 4x4. Unless you have a stripped down Range Rover classic with a modded 3.9L V8 there isn't much in the way of 4x4s that would be powerful enough to keep up with normal modded cars in our age range.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Yeh that was only in the ST-3, the ST-1 and ST-2 used the same 2ltr Duratech engine as yours, I think. I have been looking into buying a Focus ST and the ST-3 is the one to get because of the Volvo engine, but the ST-1 has the Duratech unit with more bhp than your engine.

I think!!

To be fair, you are probably right, I mean the power gains you will get are probably pretty minimal, but a remap could unleash some potential and they are usually less than £500 if you get it dyno'd as well.
    Not sure about that lol i thought they were all Volvo engines, definately all turbo engines.
    There is a 2.3 and 2.5 Duratec i think but i thought that was for American models. I might be confusing this with an engine conversation a company does i will have to check lol

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about that lol i thought they were all Volvo engines, definitely all turbo engines.
    There is a 2.3 and 2.5 Duratec i think but i thought that was for American models. I might be confusing this with an engine conversation a company does i will have to check lol
    Well I might be wrong to, it is a mine field out there!

They might be all turbo's though...

ReputationRep:
    I very much doubt what he says. Any extra traction gained would be negated by the extra weight of the 4x4. Unless you have a stripped down Range Rover classic with a modded 3.9L V8 there isn't much in the way of 4x4s that would be powerful enough to keep up with normal modded cars in our age range.
    lol maybe he was lying then, he 'hated' me because i bought a new car as a student on placement year and undermined my choice of car offering alternatives with twice the power etc.
    My supervisor shut him up saying i wanted a 'new' car not some TVR with 40,000 miles on the clock which cost £4000 a year to run or something silly.

ReputationRep:
    Get a 1.3. Abit of smart shopping around should get you a good insurance price especially as your female. So need to go for a very underpowered 1 litre, the 1.3 is nippy enough and gives good economy, I think it's the model where the engine cuts out automatically at lights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Well I might be wrong to, it is a mine field out there!

They might be all turbo's though...
    Pumabuild offer a 2.3 engine conversion, but if you look at this page, the price for performance upgrade is awful.
    £3000 for adding 20 bhp is a joke. the bottom option price is not even listed lol.
    PumaBuild

Pumaspeed offer a 2.5 SC kit for over £4000.
    Doesnt offer bhp figures, but a stage 3 will be available soon offering 400bhp, i wonder how much thats going to cost lol.

Alot of companies have been offering 300-400+ bhp Fiesta conversions for months and have not offered any updates so i dont think they will ever do one.
    PumaSpeed

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.