Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted your opinions on why obesity figures tend to be higher in the North of England than in the south?

Could it be down to cheap access to unhealthy food?

ReputationRep:
    Because it's colder and darker so food is so much more appealing

ReputationRep:
    Source? I'm up north but i'm not obese! I find this insulting...grrrr

ReputationRep:
    Just a question i found someone was asked in an interview so I'm guessing it has some truth to it.

ReputationRep:
    I think it might because theres more poverty in the North? And lower socioeconomic status can indicate poorer diet, and wages are generally higher on average in the south.

ReputationRep:
    And people looking for source, have you never heard of the north south divide etc? It is true that the level of obesity gets higher the further you go up the uk..peaking in scotland D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polkmn)
    Haha how insulting.
    It is not directed at anyone, its just a general trend.

ReputationRep:
    Because they haven't discovered salad
    Because they deep fat fry everything... including fat.

I have heard that deep fried fat with a siding of hydrogenated fat is a northern delicacy.

ReputationRep:
    its all that gravy

and pies

ReputationRep:
    Haha how insulting.
    So now talking objectively about proven features is deemed insulting?

Shush, let's not talk about higher aids prevalence in Africa in case it offends them! In fact, let's do away with epidemiology altogether!

ReputationRep:
    Probably because we don't need a mortgage to do the weekly food shop like the Southerners do, so it's more accessible :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    it is a lie that obesity is greater in North Korea, you capitalist pig-dogs

ReputationRep:
    I know it's not from England, but the first time I tried a Stovie (whatever it is, this HUGE portion of mashed up corned beef + fat + mashed potatoes that you eat along with biscuits) when I visited Scotland..

It's like you're buying a heart attack :eek:

ReputationRep:
    The people of the North are not snobs. We accept people as they come so the obese Southerners who are alienated by the 'perfect skinny' people move up here to have a nicer way of life.

:ninja: :awesome: :yep:

ReputationRep:
    It's all them pies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    So now talking objectively about proven features is deemed insulting?

Shush, let's not talk about higher aids prevalence in Africa in case it offends them! In fact, let's do away with epidemiology altogether!
    Overreact much? :eyeball:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cantstopstrue)
    it is a lie that obesity is greater in North Korea, you capitalist pig-dogs
    LOL! Obviously.

ReputationRep:
    Ever since t' pits closed they don't be getting much exercise these days. It's all Maggie's fault!

........ :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    This north south divide is the most ficticious piece of crap i've ever heard TSR and the media like to make out the south is full of "yummy mummies" and pefect skinny intelligent privately schooled people, and its really not. Its broadly similar to the rest of England, not to mention some of the most affluent areas in the country are up North. Golden triangle anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Haha how insulting.
    How is it insulting. The North contains alot of the old mining, mill towns etc which now manufactouring has gone are by and large very poor hence the people eat cheap quality food which is often higher in fat. Take explample even Durham a by and large okay/wealthy city now head just 4miles out of the city and youll hit the ex-minning town of Spennymoor its a town awash with poverty go into asda and youll be over run with own brand products and speacial offer on fatty food.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.