Worried Driver Watch

This discussion is closed.
keano
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
ye as said above and earlier practice getting on to them...and never trust lorries...stear clear from the buggers...put your foot down..stick in the fast lane...if you slowing anyone down move to the middle lane...
many times I had a lorry try and kill me when I was joining the motorway..I think all lorry drivers are after me...anyways..best of luck...its easy really..ow dont forget there are service stations if you ever want a weewee
Glory
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
ive been passed 3 years and ive still not been on a motorway.. Ive had my own car for almost a year, and i plan on instead of going my normal route home from uni on enrolement day, im going to ride down the 2 junctions til i get to mine. Hopefully it will be pretty quiet at 11am and i should be ok, since im pretty confident driving on normal roads, and doing 60mph
angeleyes1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by susiemakemeblue)
I wasn't allowed to drive back from the test centre. Company policy. That's weird.

The main thing with motorways is getting onto them. Get one of your parents to give you some practice. My dad took me on a motorway for the first time and made me get off and back on again at every junction, then we went home again and did the same thing.

You wouldnt be allowed to drive back in you driving instructors car after you've past your test, as you are then a qualified driver and no longer insured on that vehicle.

Motorway driving is easier...

ALL you have to do is:

1. Plan your journey from start to finish, every junction/ roundabout/road so you feel confident about where your going
2. Maybe go out with a exp driver for a while just to get the hang of joining/leaving a motorway.

YOUR BE FINE.
Once youve done it, you'll see you had nothing to worry about.

Stay safe
kikzen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
oh oh

if youre driving near a lorry with bales of hay on the back / things that can fly off - overtake it.

i was driving behind a massive lorry once and something fell off it so i had to swerve out the way :/
wasnt much fun i can tell ya.
MorbidAngel
Badges: 11
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by keano)
ye as said above and earlier practice getting on to them...and never trust lorries...stear clear from the buggers...put your foot down..stick in the fast lane...if you slowing anyone down move to the middle lane...
many times I had a lorry try and kill me when I was joining the motorway..I think all lorry drivers are after me...anyways..best of luck...its easy really..ow dont forget there are service stations if you ever want a weewee
just remember its a lot harder for a truck to stop than it is for you. and truck drivers are driving hours per day so theyre more likely to be more experianced than you
keano
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by MorbidAngel)
... and truck drivers are driving hours per day so theyre more likely to be more experianced than you...
or... a lot more tired?? and dont concentrate properly??

well...it was a dual carriage way (the bit where M18 becomes 2 lanes)..and the truck decided to pull on to my lane while I was about a car length in front of its back wheels... + I had my headlights on as I always have on the motorway particularlly after that incident..I just put my foot down a bit more and got out of the way but I was dead scared when he pulled on to me and indicated at the same time...if he'd've hit me Idve got squashed on this bridge foot...my left wheels hit the lip of the road..which wasnt funny at that speed....meh...silly truckers...I still havent figured out how he didnt see me
josh1988uk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If you cant see the trucks mirrors then he cant see you. that is an important thing to remember as well as people dont always check their mirrors or indicate when changing lanes so awareness is key I would say.
_Jax_
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Here is some advice don't be such a big pussy. I couldnt wait till I got on a motorway and i did so three days after I passed. The first time you drive yourself to 100 is awsome.
MorbidAngel
Report 13 years ago
remember: its a LOT harder for truck drivers to see traffic along side them. esp if your on the passenger side. he doesnt have the option of lookin over his shoulder. and depending where you are, you might be in a blind spot. oh, and headlights on in daylight? why? 'oh look, i have my headlights on so when im in your blind spot you can see me'
Tom
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by _Jax_)
Here is some advice don't be such a big pussy. I couldnt wait till I got on a motorway and i did so three days after I passed. The first time you drive yourself to 100 is awsome.
Moron.
silence
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i was on a motorway yesterday (m25 coming back from heathrow). and honestly, i was a tiny bit nervous about it, although i've been driving since last november and have been on one before.

basically, it's fine. all you've got to look out for is the distance of cars behind you if you want to change lanes. because they can be going at well over the 70mph limit, you've got to make sure they're far enough behind before switching into the next lane. that said, there isn't much need to go in the fast lane. stick to the left and middle lanes. and if there are four lanes, then watch out for the signs signifying that the two left lanes will merge (because that often happens).
_Jax_
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by TomD22)
Moron.
Pussy
MorbidAngel
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by _Jax_)
Pussy
you have 10 points.... i wonder why....
_Jax_
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Er because I had the word cok in my signature?

Edit, hey hey you got banned once so you can hardly talk.
Tom
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Bad enough that you want to do something that STUPID and risk the lives of everyone around you on the road, but to encourage another just-passed driver?? I can picture you: crappy...polo is that in your avatar? with add-ons. driving like a moron. i really, really have a thing against stupid, arrogant teenagers who drive like that. Crash, scare yourself, and then grow up, but try not to take anyone else with you.
MorbidAngel
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by _Jax_)
Er because I had the word cok in my signature?

Edit, hey hey you got banned once so you can hardly talk.
actually my ban was for advertising, which some mods seem the rules dont apply to certain members....
MorbidAngel
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by _Jax_)
The first time you drive yourself to 100 is awsome.
and the first time you get banned for excessing speed and dangerous driving is just as much of a thrill
_Jax_
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah because it really looks like a polo mr blind. (if you Partially sighted I’m sorry to offend). And it was night and there was nobody around.

P.s if you paid any attention to the road around you then you would realize that people in the fast lane do this every moment of every day and beyond.

But then you probably piss everyone off by doing 68 in the middle lane dontcha?
_Jax_
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by MorbidAngel)
and the first time you get banned for excessing speed and dangerous driving is just as much of a thrill
You are such a fukwit. I worded it to make it sound like it was an event which it was. I don't go running around at 100 everday.

85 mabey if I find a beemer with a radar detector to follow :cool:
MorbidAngel
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by _Jax_)
Yeah because it really looks like a polo mr blind. (if you Partially sighted I’m sorry to offend). And it was night and there was nobody around.

P.s if you paid any attention to the road around you then you would realize that people in the fast lane do this every moment of every day and beyond.

But then you probably piss everyone off by doing 68 in the middle lane dontcha?

TBH, motorways should have a speed limit of 80 since there often open/clear where you can safely do that speed, but at the same time there is still no excuse for doing over 100. esp since the way to posted it makes it look you had just passed your test and you didnt have much experiance
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (868)
80.07%
Leave (216)
19.93%

Watched Threads