Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8505625.stm

i think its a complete waste of money. when i'm ill i really couldn't care less what i'm wearing.

ReputationRep:
    I want diamonds and sparkles on mine. :rolleyes:

As a nurse, I know that when patients visit hospital, the gown they wear is exceptionally important.

I've never felt that way at all. You put it on, they do what they do, and you take it off. It's quite possibly the last thing I'd be thinking of in hospital. Particularly when all the patients are wearing the same thing.

In my opinion, as long as it's functional, it's fine.

Perhaps some people's opinions differ on this though.

ReputationRep:
    This is silly! Where I work, we only use the gowns for people who we cant get out of bed. Because the gowns have no back, they're easy to use on bed-bound patients!
    The rest of the patients don't wear gowns. We have pyjamas for them to wear!
    I don't understand what the point of this new gown is!!! I agree with you OP. Complete waste of money! The NHS could be spending it on something much more important!

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's hardly a big cost, and things do need to be revised over time.

Seems like the old gowns were a bit rubbish so it seems like a reasonable investment to me if it makes some people more comfortable in certain circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    All they seemed to have done is add an extra tie at the bottom, nothing major. I welcome the move, especially with the winter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curly_hair_girl)
    All they seemed to have done is add an extra tie at the bottom, nothing major. I welcome the move, especially with the winter.
    did you not read the article... thats the OLD one.... they are making a new one so you backside isn't hanging out....

ReputationRep:
    i hated having my bum out when i was in hospital. and it wasn't just for the people who were bedbound, i had to walk down in mine (although i can't honestly remember that much, but i remember that i was uncomfortable)

about bloody time i say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farmboy_Pip)
    i hated having my bum out when i was in hospital. and it wasn't just for the people who were bedbound, i had to walk down in mine (although i can't honestly remember that much, but i remember that i was uncomfortable)

about bloody time i say.
    This! Nothing like being in hospital for the first time and suddenly realising you've just flashed your bottom at your own dad. Good riddance to them!

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a good idea and has not cost a lot at all. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    As a nurse, I know that when patients visit hospital, the gown they wear is exceptionally important.

Not quite right, when i regained conciousness, i was slightly more worried about having lost conciousness, being covered in blood and confused than i was about the gown.... but hey, thats just me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darigan)

Not quite right, when i regained conciousness, i was slightly more worried about having lost conciousness, being covered in blood and confused than i was about the gown.... but hey, thats just me!
    Yeah but after that when you're walking around naked it would be a big thing.

ReputationRep:
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20100209...d-6323e80.html

I prefer this article about it, if only for this wonderful quote:
    Carol de Halle, acting director of nursing, said: "Traditional hospital gowns have been the butt of many a joke over the years

ReputationRep:
    It's not a bad idea, they have to pay for the gowns whatever design they are and people wear those gowns for loads of stuff, not just people waking up from a coma ... EVIDENTLY you wouldn't care then.

/thread

ReputationRep:
    I fail to see the issue.

Relatively little cost (although I don't see why they couldn't have given the design brief to a group of fashion design uni students in a competition with a £1,000 grand prize instead) and if it'll improve how comfortable patients feel then that's a good thing. Nobody wants to embarrassed further when in a vulnerable position in hospital.

There is nothing wrong with improvement. Things can't stay the same forever.

ReputationRep:
    Shame. I'll never get the chance to walk around in a hospital with my arse out now.

ReputationRep:
    Waste of money, no surprise really it's the NHS.

ReputationRep:
    Last time I was in hospital mine wrapped around and tied at the side so my "dignity" was preserved. Plus, when I was properly up and about on the ward they offered me pajamas if I wanted them.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a good thing personally. While, obviously when you're in hospital it doesn't really matter what you're wearing, it's no fun having to walk around with a gaping hole in the back of the gown. When I had to go into hospital for an op at the end of last year I was told I'd be allowed to go home that night, so I wasn't prepared for an overnight stay. And because the nurses weren't satisfied that I should be allowed home afterall I had to stay overnight in the gown, and walking to and from the bathroom/anywhere else was a little ...draughty and embarrassing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    Yeah but after that when you're walking around naked it would be a big thing.
    nah, i had to leave in a wheelchair (nothin permanent, just serious bruising to both my legs that meant i couldn't walk for a week or so)

But seriously, part of the benefit of hospital gowns is that you can expose yourself without getting arrested or cautioned... surely?

ReputationRep:
    WTF was the point of patients having their bum out all these years? All they needed was a bit of material around the waist and it's sorted. About time.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.