Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to wear anything in a hospital. End of.

ReputationRep:
    not a huge cost and I think a lot of people will appreciate it. A lot of elderly people are admitted to hospital and they have to wear them, often they won't have anyone to bring them pyjamas. The current gowns are made of horrible paper-like fabric which doesn't keep you warm and a lot of people won't even be able to reach to adjust the back themselves.
    I understand why a lot of people our age would see it as unecessary because we're likely to be in hospital from an accident or an operation, something resulting in a short stay.
    Imagine being elderly and you've basically gone into the hospital to die. The little comforts like a hot meal, a nice chat with a nurse or a comfortable, warm gown mean an awful lot.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, don't see why they have to be "designer" though.
    Having spent many a time in hospital, wandering around the ward bored in those gowns (sometimes with two on, one back to front to cover the gaping hole at the ack), I agree they needed to be re-designed.

ReputationRep:
    About damn time.

I'm fine with needles, I'm fine with hospital food, I'm fine with uncomfortable beds, but I was always afraid of the gowns!

The cost is minimal, the psychological benefit is huge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8505625.stm

i think its a complete waste of money. when i'm ill i really couldn't care less what i'm wearing.
    I disagree; when you go into hospital, you often feel as if you're losing your dignity anyway, being poked and prodded a lot, and having a backless gown doesn't help.

ReputationRep:
    The current gowns are tbh foul and if I was in hospital I'd be getting anyone I could get hold of to bring me some of my own PJs ASAP!

On our ward we used to use them like Deutsch_Beth said - Put one round the front and the other round the back. Still a hassle and very draughty though!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in hospital quite a lot and i despise the gowns so much.
    I always just take pjs with me though. Tbh the same with everyone i know, always take them just incase :P
    Guess i won't need to anymore

ReputationRep:
    Whilst it's a strange thing to spend money on, personally I'm glad the gowns will now have a back.

ReputationRep:
    Is this the end of hospital gowns with easy access?

ReputationRep:
    He said teams of designers and architects were working on other projects to redesign NHS hospitals in England to improve the experience for patients.
    Whilst the new hospital gowns are definitely a good idea, did they really need a designer to design them.

As for the quote above, I would prefer it if they spent money on actual medical things rather than pretty pictures on the walls. Actually if they are going to spend money on non-medical things they should make the televisions free. In the main Liverpool hospital it is £3 to watch freeview for one day and then £3 to use the phone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tikkitak)
    This is silly! Where I work, we only use the gowns for people who we cant get out of bed. Because the gowns have no back, they're easy to use on bed-bound patients!
    The rest of the patients don't wear gowns. We have pyjamas for them to wear!
    I don't understand what the point of this new gown is!!! I agree with you OP. Complete waste of money! The NHS could be spending it on something much more important!
    But you are forgetting about the people who go in for procedures and have to wear the gown. I have had to wear it a few times and its embarssing to walk about in them. I think its a good idea for day hospital and mobile patients.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    Whilst the new hospital gowns are definitely a good idea, did they really need a designer to design them.

As for the quote above, I would prefer it if they spent money on actual medical things rather than pretty pictures on the walls. Actually if they are going to spend money on non-medical things they should make the televisions free. In the main Liverpool hospital it is £3 to watch freeview for one day and then £3 to use the phone!
    Its the NHS they like to faff about thats why they "need" designer.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.