Turn on thread page Beta

University in UK that is affordable. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I'm Malaysian and The exchange rate between England and Malaysia is big! I was wondering if anyone knew a University in England that gives a Medical course which is below 90,000 Pounds for the 6 or 4 year course.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    **** me, is it really that much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkestsunshine)
    Hi. I'm Malaysian and The exchange rate between England and Malaysia is big! I was wondering if anyone knew a University in England that gives a Medical course which is below 90,000 Pounds for the 6 or 4 year course.

Thank you
    Hm , generally speaking Medicine is the most expensive subject and with the greatest length (5 years ) so you can hardly find any to fit in your budget. However go and visit med unis web sites for a more detailed info :yep:

ReputationRep:
    AFAIK, preclin years are £20,000/yr, and clinicals are up to £35,000/yr. So, basically, no...

ReputationRep:
    I was under the asumption that the Univeristy of Buckinhamshire is cheaper then other unis for international applicants, anyways. They recently opened up a Medicine course, but I *think* its a graduate entry one (so a 4 year) - you'd have to have a degree first, obviously.

Also, wouldn't a 4 year course come in under budget? EDIT: Maybe not :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 916-CALL-TURK)
    I was under the asumption that the Univeristy of Buckinhamshire is cheaper then other unis for international applicants, anyways. They recently opened up a Medicine course, but I *think* its a graduate entry one (so a 4 year) - you'd have to have a degree first, obviously.

yep bucks has a GEP medicine course, its intense (apparently), i'd look into that OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 916-CALL-TURK)

You mean the University of Buckingham. Might be worth looking into.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cadence)
    Same difference :p:

ReputationRep:
    I had no idea that Bucks had a medical school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    I had no idea that Bucks had a medical school.
    http://www.buckingham.ac.uk/medicine/
    Don't think they're accredited by the GMC yet though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cadence)
    Problem is it currently not accredited so could be a problem if you intend to practice in the UK when you graduate

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm not sure, but you should look to Scotland. Scottish students don't have to pay tuition fees, and anyone not a Scottish resident pays a lot less for tuition compared to someone at an English university. Although medicine is pretty pricey already, so it might be the same.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    PMS 5 Year is 80.5K

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tig ol bitties)
    yep bucks has a GEP medicine course, its intense (apparently), i'd look into that OP.
    All GEPs are intense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    Problem is it currently not accredited so could be a problem if you intend to practice in the UK when you graduate
    I highly doubt they'll start admitting applicants before they're accredited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    All GEPs are intense.
    i know but bucks is a university whereby all courses are taught in a compact space of time without holidays.

ReputationRep:
    they seem to be from the site

(Original post by there website)
    UBMS will be applying to the UK General Medical Council / WFME / WHO for compliance / accreditation.
    During the first year students spend about half their time at Buckingham with attachments to partner hospitals for the rest of the time. For the last three years students will be centred in one of the partner hospitals' clinical schools with full educational support and regular activities at Buckingham.
    The concept of an independent medical school captures the continuing drive towards public-private joint ventures and growing involvement of the private sector in the provision of front-line services in both health and education.
    (Original post by there website)
    Designed to provide alignment for students to link to USMLE requirements.

Seem to me they are aiming for like almost a private medical school to cater for people that want to move abroad after their degree

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...reducation.uk1 basically it is a private medical school with fees of 10k a year and using private hospitals as teaching hospitals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    they seem to be from the site

Seem to me they are aiming for like almost a private medical school to cater for people that want to move abroad after their degree

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...reducation.uk1 basically it is a private medical school with fees of 10k a year and using private hospitals as teaching hospitals
    Hmm. Given I couldn't find any application information on their website, and that most of the webpages say "Our undergraduate medicine programme, aimed at graduates in any discipline who wish to read Medicine, is currently under construction. " I assumed it wasn't yet open.

ReputationRep:
    Well, international students, depending on culture are often desperate to study a 'prestigious' course that might reflect well on their family. Although you'd be a fool to touch any course that isn't GMC accredited - and arguably even then after maybe a year or two to sort out teething problems. As for private hospitals being used for attachments, I'm skeptical that fee paying coustomers are keen to be used as guinea pigs...theres got to be flaws all over this plan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    AFAIK, preclin years are £20,000/yr, and clinicals are up to £35,000/yr. So, basically, no...
    I think Oxbridge are 18k preclin, 25k clinical. Surely others are same or cheaper.

EDIT: living costs excluded.

EDIT2: Dundee fees for example fall within 90k http://www.somis.dundee.ac.uk/regist...0/ugofees.html
    I just checked that one, but it seems like most tuition fees for 5 year programs fall just within 90k.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2010
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.