Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok.

I am trying to pool together as much info/experiences/comments about the NY Bar as possible. please feel free just to post any comments or opinions you might have.

Anyone taken it? anyone know of anyone who has taken it? Etc.
    There is a wealth of info online, but it would be great to get some personal views.

ReputationRep:
    I researched it fairly thoroughly and thought about doing it, but the general concensus was that it wasn't really worth doing.

I was told by someone who did the NYB and worked at a top London commercial firm that whilst it was nice to have on her business card, she never really used it. I'm told that American firms are very sceptical about the value of the Bar on its own, you really need a JD or at least a LLM to back it up, and even then unless you are a U.S. Citizen you encounter enormous problems getting a visa. Working for a U.S. fimr and perhaps spending some time in the U.S. may be a better route if working in the U.S. is a goal.

That said, it did look pretty fascinating, so it may be worth considering.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a US attorney practicing in NY. Aside from the obvious which is found all over online (ie two day exam, subjects covered, format), what specific questions did you have in mind? I can tell you from my experience and from the things I've read online, spend most of your time studying for the MBE. If you get a high enough score on the MBE, you're virtually guaranteed to pass. Also, it helps that about 75-80% of the law you learn for the MBE is the same for NY. I'm not sure if they have Barbri in the UK, but taking a Barbri class and studying their materials should be sufficient for you to pass. The February bar exam is almost upon us. After that exam, tons of people will be posting their Barbri books for sale on eBay. Pick them up for cheap and just study from them. If you have more specific questions, let me know. I'm more than happy to try and help. With that in mind, do you think you could reply to my question about being an expat in London? Thanks!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1176605

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your insight!

So: you mentioned the Bar/Bri materials. Do you think it essential to take part in an actual BAr/Bri review course, or do you think it would be possible to use the materials and other books and in a way "self-teach". I do have 1 year of US law school experience (study abroad), so feel i have some understanding here.

ReputationRep:
    I think it probably helps most people to actually watch the course in conjunction with studying the materials. The way it works is you have outlines with blanks in front of you that you fill in as you watch the lecture. Most people learn better by writing instead of just reading but I wouldn't say it's essential to passing the bar exam. I would also suggest you buy a PMBR book of MBE questions. They're supposedly harder than the actual MBE (don't remember myself since it's been a while) so save them for when you think you're ready. The trick is not to let your PMBR score unnerve you if you don't do well. Passing the bar is as much a test of nerves as anything else.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.