Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Afternoon,

I am a Newcastle United fan and bought tickets for the match tonight against Derby. They were posted out to me Special Delivery on Saturday morning to be garunteed delivery by 1pm today, although NUFC are normally excellent with their tickets and expected it yesterday.

However, today has come and I've had nothing - leaving me high and dry with £60 down the drain for tickets. I've spoken to my local sorting office who hasn't got them, and then my bigger sorting office in Preston. (I flit between Newcastle and Preston a lot - this week I'm in Preston). Preston Sorting Office were able to tell me (as I had the tracking number) that yes, NUFC had posted them 9am on Saturday as promised, and that they left Newcastle the same day, and since then they have fallen off the grid. They MIGHT be in Carlisle, or they MIGHT be in York. Neither of which is any good to me.

They were sent out special delivery - 1pm garunteed by today. I'm aware they have broken their contract and I'm entitled to my £4.95 back I paid for the postage but I want some form of compensation for the fact that if they deliver them tomorrow - they are useless to me. I'm toying with the idea of refusing delivery when they eventually arrive.

I'm going to try one last time at Preston Sorting Office to see if they have found it - I don't hold out much hope and if they have got them I'm cutting it mighty fine to get to Derby in time (can leave 3:30pm at the absolute latest). What are my next steps and how do I go about giving them an ear bashing and getting some money back.

Help appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nico_SU)
    Afternoon,

I am a Newcastle United fan and bought tickets for the match tonight against Derby. They were posted out to me Special Delivery on Saturday morning to be garunteed delivery by 1pm today, although NUFC are normally excellent with their tickets and expected it yesterday.

However, today has come and I've had nothing - leaving me high and dry with £60 down the drain for tickets. I've spoken to my local sorting office who hasn't got them, and then my bigger sorting office in Preston. (I flit between Newcastle and Preston a lot - this week I'm in Preston). Preston Sorting Office were able to tell me (as I had the tracking number) that yes, NUFC had posted them 9am on Saturday as promised, and that they left Newcastle the same day, and since then they have fallen off the grid. They MIGHT be in Carlisle, or they MIGHT be in York. Neither of which is any good to me.

They were sent out special delivery - 1pm garunteed by today. I'm aware they have broken their contract and I'm entitled to my £4.95 back I paid for the postage but I want some form of compensation for the fact that if they deliver them tomorrow - they are useless to me. I'm toying with the idea of refusing delivery when they eventually arrive.

I'm going to try one last time at Preston Sorting Office to see if they have found it - I don't hold out much hope and if they have got them I'm cutting it mighty fine to get to Derby in time (can leave 3:30pm at the absolute latest). What are my next steps and how do I go about giving them an ear bashing and getting some money back.

Help appreciated.
    I think you can claim compensation:

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/c...00558#13300264

Tough luck on not being able to go to the match. I'm glad most tickets are electronic now.

ReputationRep:
    **** man not good! But yeh I do believe you will be entitled to a refund as the tickets are now rendered useless!

ReputationRep:
    Well lads, here is the next most unbelievable twist in this story. I'm quite sure you won't believe how badly this has gone wrong but I will tell you anyway.

I'll pick up where I left off. I phoned my local sorting office back to see if they had any luck tracking it down. It transpires that my item is one of 22 special deliveries that have gone AWOL from Tyneside bound for Preston. They have no idea where they are - just they are between Newcastle and Preston. Again, no help to me at 3pm, 4 hours before kick off at a ground 2 and a half hours away.
    I was ready to cut my losses and listen on Radio Newcastle but I thought I would let the NUFC Box Office aware of the situation. I phoned them and they told me if I confirmed the booking details (name, address etc) then they would be able to cancel the original tickets and send a memo to Derby (@Pride Park) for them to reprint. I made sure I was hearing right - if I go to Pride Park with ID they will have replacement tickets for me ready. Confirmed.

I set off and made the 125 mile journey through the M6 roadworks and past the Brittania Stadium at rush hour and got to Pride Park. Got to the Box Office. Got to the pile of reprinted away tickets. Lo-and-behold - no tickets and no record of my tickets ever been assigned for a reprint. Not only that, but Derby don't hold the details of the away supporters so unless I know my ticket information (which I don't cause I never got the orignals) then they can't help. NUFC are shut - the game is a sell out and I'm left at the ground with no ticket and no help from the Derby Box Office.

At the time I was spitting nails so I came out and came home - not much else I could do. Games I enjoyed playing on the motorway where "how fast do I have to go to make TomTom predict me 1 less minute to get home" and "can I line all my dials up so their facing the same way." Overall - a 350 mile trip for nothing but £60 in tickets, £6 in car parking, £3 in Cheeseburger (which was quite nice may I add) and £35 in petrol. I've calmed down now but thought you might get a little giggle from reading the situation I was in this afternoon to where I've gone from now.

Needless to say I'm going apocolyptic on the Box Office at 9am tomorrow and still intend to refuse delivery of the tickets when they are finally retrived from the postmans kitchen sink.

ReputationRep:
    why refuse the delivery? even if they turn up late and you sign for it, you still get a refund. Refusing the delivery means it'll go back to Newcastle, and they'll probably leave them for ages.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, Newcastle lost 3-0 anyway so you didn't miss out on much.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ True dat.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you do, DONT GO TO THE POST OFFICE to complain. They are completely different companies, and have nothing to do with delivery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nico_SU)
    Well lads, here is the next most unbelievable twist in this story. I'm quite sure you won't believe how badly this has gone wrong but I will tell you anyway.

I'll pick up where I left off. I phoned my local sorting office back to see if they had any luck tracking it down. It transpires that my item is one of 22 special deliveries that have gone AWOL from Tyneside bound for Preston. They have no idea where they are - just they are between Newcastle and Preston. Again, no help to me at 3pm, 4 hours before kick off at a ground 2 and a half hours away.
    I was ready to cut my losses and listen on Radio Newcastle but I thought I would let the NUFC Box Office aware of the situation. I phoned them and they told me if I confirmed the booking details (name, address etc) then they would be able to cancel the original tickets and send a memo to Derby (@Pride Park) for them to reprint. I made sure I was hearing right - if I go to Pride Park with ID they will have replacement tickets for me ready. Confirmed.

I set off and made the 125 mile journey through the M6 roadworks and past the Brittania Stadium at rush hour and got to Pride Park. Got to the Box Office. Got to the pile of reprinted away tickets. Lo-and-behold - no tickets and no record of my tickets ever been assigned for a reprint. Not only that, but Derby don't hold the details of the away supporters so unless I know my ticket information (which I don't cause I never got the orignals) then they can't help. NUFC are shut - the game is a sell out and I'm left at the ground with no ticket and no help from the Derby Box Office.

At the time I was spitting nails so I came out and came home - not much else I could do. Games I enjoyed playing on the motorway where "how fast do I have to go to make TomTom predict me 1 less minute to get home" and "can I line all my dials up so their facing the same way." Overall - a 350 mile trip for nothing but £60 in tickets, £6 in car parking, £3 in Cheeseburger (which was quite nice may I add) and £35 in petrol. I've calmed down now but thought you might get a little giggle from reading the situation I was in this afternoon to where I've gone from now.

Needless to say I'm going apocolyptic on the Box Office at 9am tomorrow and still intend to refuse delivery of the tickets when they are finally retrived from the postmans kitchen sink.
    Do you hate me because this made me laugh? :o:

Plus, you lost 3 - 0!

The whole point of the guarantee on the special delivery is to ensure you can claim some form of compensation (up to £500) from royal mail if (more like, when) they mess up.

Do you have a copy of your receipt, if you do, take it to your local post office or call your sorting offce and they should direct you on the steps for claiming compensation.

Take a look at this, in particular this:

Delays
    6.2 If we do not deliver an item in line with clause 3.1, or make a first attempt at delivery in line with clause 3.12 of the general terms, unless clause 6.3 applies we will pay you the relevant postage in respect of that item.
    6.3 If you have purchased consequential loss compensation and we do not deliver an item in line with clause 3.1 or make a first attempt at delivery in line with clause 3.12 of the general terms, and you provide satisfactory proof that you posted it and we received it, we will pay you compensation for the item and its contents based on the actual loss you suffer. The compensation will not be more than the maximum amount of consequential loss compensation you have paid for in line with clause 5.2.
    Claims
    6.4 Unless clause 6.5 applies, you must make a claim for loss or damage as soon as possible after the incident and in any case within 12 months of the date of posting. We will not accept responsibility for claims made after this time.
    6.5 If you have bought consequential loss compensation, you must make a claim for consequential loss compensation in writing within 14 calendar days of the date we accepted the item, otherwise we do not have to pay you consequential loss compensation
    6.6 You must make any claim for delay in writing within 14 calendar days of the date we accepted the item, otherwise we do not have to pay you delay compensation
    EDIT: It appears I have missed a step. Did you pay for the special delivery yourself or was it all on the part of the company because that limits your right to compensation and your 'contract'?

ReputationRep:
    It's not really Royal Mail you should be dealing with now, you should be dealing with the company you bought the tickets from. As far as I know it's their responsibility to make sure the tickets get to you safely. Even if they don't get their £60 back from Royal Mail, I'm pretty sure the law's on your side and you are entitled to your £60 back from the company.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleekchic)
    Do you have a copy of your receipt, if you do, take it to your local post office or call your sorting offce and they should direct you on the steps for claiming compensation.
    The Post Office can't do anything about it at all. All they can do is give out a claims form which you can either hand in to the Post Office or send away freepost yourself. Source: I work there :cool:

As I said, you're more likely to get your money back through the ticket company. Even if Royal Mail did decide to pay compensation, it would be the ticket company they send the money to.

(Original post by JacksterD)
    The Post Office can't do anything about it at all. All they can do is give out a claims form which you can either hand in to the Post Office or send away freepost yourself. Source: I work there :cool:

As I said, you're more likely to get your money back through the ticket company. Even if Royal Mail did decide to pay compensation, it would be the ticket company they send the money to.
    :indiff:

I used to work at the post office too, should I also have put this bagde of honour/source in my post.

If the post office give you a claims form they are doing something, right?

Besides they might be able to give the OP a different number to call or explain the procedure to the OP which is why I mentioned going to the Post Office.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleekchic)
    :indiff:

I used to work at the post office too, should I also have put this bagde of honour/source in my post.
    Absolutely

If the post office give you a claims form they are doing something, right?
    They are... but the form can be filled out online which is better than waiting in a Post Office

Besides they might be able to give the OP a different number to call or explain the procedure to the OP which is why I mentioned going to the Post Office.
    I'll save him the trip, Post Office Helpline: 08457 22 33 44

Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't be dealing with the post office at all, your contract of sale is with the person/company who you bought the tickets from. Bug them and demand a refund.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Do you hate me because this made me laugh? :o:

Plus, you lost 3 - 0!
    The whole situation is quite funny - if it happened to one my friends I would laugh. For the first time in 18 years I wanted us to get pummelled to semi-justify me not being there.

And the proverbial kick in the nuts is that the tickets came today :mad:

I've decided I'm going to try and get my money back from both of them. NUFC don't need to know I'm down Royal Mails throats because they told me I had new tickets when I didnt, and Royal Mail don't need to know that NUFC promised me new tickets, as far as they are concerned, they were lost in the post and I didn't get to the match. Going to try and make some money out of a bad situation!

ReputationRep:
    Thats awful. Never trust Royal Mail. Hope you get your money back mate. Play on the fact that you spent all that money on petrol etc. Get more back than you spent on the tickets.

ReputationRep:
    Just a little update.

I phoned the box office today and told them the story. They told me they would investigate and phone me back. Inside 1 hour they phoned me back with their tails between their legs offering me a full refund. I took it but enquired as to what the problem was - they said that an admin error meant my tickets HAD been reissued under someone elses name. I've got £60 back now of the £90 I estimate the whole sage cost me, so I'm filling out the compensation forms for Royal Mail to get another £60 back (I have the unused tickets with a price on which prove the amount I'm claiming for and the date they were needed for as well) which will mean I'll get all my money back, plus a little bit more (which I'll call inconvienience money )

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.