Turn on thread page Beta

Is the purpose of a Facebook status purely to brag about your life? watch

ReputationRep:
    All of my "friends" on Facebook just seem to use their Facebook status as a way of saying "My life is totally awesome".

Recent examples that have occurred in the last 2 hours on my Facebook feed are "... is going to New York!", "... ALL FIVE OFFERS!" and "... last night was messy!"

Surely there is no other motive for putting this as your status other than to let everyone know that your life is great and theirs probably sucks.

Do you know people who do this, and for what purpose do you use your Facebook status?

ReputationRep:
    It most certainly is. My latest status is...

"TRDV outpissed two guys".

I was bragging, and making sure people know that I am better than them

ReputationRep:
    I know plenty of people that use their Facebook as a place to brag about their relationships or social lives. That said, I'm guilty of doing it myself at times, so I can't really comment!

I typically use my Facebook as a place to rant though. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Not always, in fact I use my status most of the time to either ask a question, post something funny like a joke or some news or praise/rant about Sheffield Wednesday.

ReputationRep:
    I never update my status............but all status updates to me mean they're bored...so update. Whereas if I'm bored I go on to a forum.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I guess people just like to share with people when good things happen to them. Nothing wrong with that, really? Nothing much happens to me though, I just post song lyrics in my sig usually, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Spandy has been cruelly and humiliatingly dumped by his girlfriend..im so upset
    I think not.

ReputationRep:
    Facebook posers, yawn.

ReputationRep:
    Not really. Obviously you get some show offs, but on mine there are plenty of people that use it to moan about their lives - usually a girl moaning about splitting up with her boyfriend or something - or inane details no one cares about, eg "xyz just made a cup of tea".

ReputationRep:
    My current Facebook status is 'Orson Welles pities the fool.'
    I tend to use mine to post stories I think are funny (usually about how rubbish I am, rather than about how I am the king of heavyweight drinking/large penis having) or jokes and puns I think up during the day. Occasionally I use it to post a link or rant about something I find in the paper. But I very very rarely use it to brag about my life. I did once type something excited when I got a poem published in a magazine, but instantly deleted it, feeling like an arrogant prat. :-P

ReputationRep:
    I suppose thats the purpose of FB, to keep in touch with friends and stuff

ReputationRep:
    My statuses are generally related to football so its more of a weekly starting point for lots of football banter. Considering your actual question, the purpose of facebook is to be a primary medium for social interaction amongst friends/family, so it is entirely understandable that people will use statuses to share good news.

my statuses are mainly about moaning about my life. im trying to refrain from doing it though, as i realise that no one actually cares.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's a pathetic way of people letting their 'friends' know that they are doing and how great it is. I read an article recently that said people write a facebook status so that people don't forget they are still there and to constantly remind them how fantastic their life is.

What also annoys me is when people go fishing for sympathy by saying something along the lines of: , **** day, borrrrrrrrrrrrrred, can't believe that just happened etc

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, some people are like that. Most people's statuses in my experience (including my own!) are really inane and boring. I'd rather see a show-off status than one like: "going to bed now, night facebook x" <- I hate those statuses!

You also get the passive agressive status updates: "OMG when i see u i'm gonna **** you up!" They're funny.

ReputationRep:
    they're either for showing off or whinging.. there's a guy i'm friends with and he's constantly posting about how he smokes weed all the time.. every time i'm like uh, what a douche. (still a nice guy though :p:)

i usually post things that come in to my head.. i think aloud alot. i think my last status was that i'd checked all the cupboards for monsters..

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm probably true. Pretty much all my and my friends use ours for atm is to update eachother on uni stuff, so i suppose that is boasting, but theres no amnosity about it, everyone congratulates everyone.
    I will admit to updating my status with "OWWWW steam burn!!!!!!!!!!!1 stupid iron " on Friday which is a pretty mundane fact of my life, which didn't really need to be announced to everyone :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    I do not understand when/how the meaning of the word 'messy' changed, anyway

ReputationRep:
    How can you have such an out look OP?
    You msut lvie a really sad live.
    cheer up and start enjoying your life. Enjoy your experiences and enjoy your friend's experiences

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amizzle91)
    Yeah, some people are like that. Most people's statuses in my experience (including my own!) are really inane and boring. I'd rather see a show-off status than one like: "going to bed now, night facebook x" <- I hate those statuses!

You also get the passive agressive status updates: "OMG when i see u i'm gonna **** you up!" They're funny.
    You've probably already seen this site, but it looks like you'd appreciate it so just incase you haven't!... :p:

http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.