Turn on thread page Beta

Is the purpose of a Facebook status purely to brag about your life? watch

ReputationRep:
    It's not so much the people that brag that piss me off although it can be a bit much! The people that seek attention and broadcast their problems over facebook are the ones that really ******* piss me off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Logan)
    i only put stuff that are interesting like

"raise your hand if you want me to drive to mc'd"

at 3am
    You would so fail with that if you were friends with me! I'm very often awake at 3am! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes people moan, sometimes people brag. Both are quite annoying really. Personally, I rarely put a Facebook status and prefer to use it for keeping in contact with people or putting pictures up for my friends to see

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magno56)
    All of my "friends" on Facebook just seem to use their Facebook status as a way of saying "My life is totally awesome".

Recent examples that have occurred in the last 2 hours on my Facebook feed are "... is going to New York!", "... ALL FIVE OFFERS!" and "... last night was messy!"

Surely there is no other motive for putting this as your status other than to let everyone know that your life is great and theirs probably sucks.

Do you know people who do this, and for what purpose do you use your Facebook status?
    Ditto.

ReputationRep:
    How can people with such wonderful and exciting lives even have time to update their facebook status every 2 minutes?:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Amour Toujours)

I typically use my Facebook as a place to rant though. :p:
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    TBH its only people with **** lives who complain about this.
    yeah, people going out and taking 5968604 photos is kinda sad, but i dont get pissed off by it because I have a life of my own

ReputationRep:
    xxx is off hiking =D
    xxx has discovered the gym, woo!
    xxx Mmmm Champagne (though I do not remember posting this one; I think I'd had a bit too much :p:)
    xxx omg just saw xxx on TV =D
    xxx Nooooooo go away exam

Hmmm mine are really boring :/ Though I nearly always get some form of comment, so at least some people are interested in me lol. I think it's better for people to brag than to post moany ones though! Someone might be interested in their trip to new York, for example.

ReputationRep:
    For God's sake, it's their facebooks at the end of the day, I'm sure they can do whatever they want? What is your problem then?

ReputationRep:
    I like facebook because its allowed people to know each other more intimately , than if you would do if facebook didnt exist. They're also good if you have no credit, you can just tag people in your status to get replies. I hate, however, the people that are on it 24/7 that update their statuses about ten times a day. ''ooo the baby just kicked'' '' can't wait for my hubby to come home asap xXxX'' or '' facebuk iz **** man in a bizz'' .... GO AWAY. They should have their own little facebook world ...

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the problem. It's nice to let your friends know what's going on in your life - I like hearing about my friends' exciting holiday plans and such. I just dislike the relationship drama played out for all to see type status.

ReputationRep:
    My facebook status at the moment is a sly dig at my old flatmate who quit uni and now does nothing but go on facebook. She's added my friends who she's never met and comments every 5 minutes on my photos (even though they're like from 3 years ago), and now she's started commenting on my boyfriends photos too. I just want her to get the hell off facebook and stop stalking me, it's creeping me out!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy12691)
    For God's sake, it's their facebooks at the end of the day, I'm sure they can do whatever they want? What is your problem then?
    Yeah I take your point but my problem is that it's a status update that's intended to show off about something that a) I have already done, b) have surpassed or c) couldn't give a **** about.

ReputationRep:
    mostly i use it to attention seek
    lamebook is better
    http://www.lamebook.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJ AgnieszkaA)
    TBH its only people with **** lives who complain about this.
    yeah, people going out and taking 5968604 photos is kinda sad, but i dont get pissed off by it because I have a life of my own
    Yeah I am complaining about it although I have no doubt that my life is better than all those who do this, but I don't need to broadcast every one of my successes to everyone I know in such a vulgar way.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, and I hate ones that are like "It's ok, only 2 days late :/" I mean, we don't give a fook, and why would you broadcast having a potential unwanted pregnancy?!

ReputationRep:
    I guess so. The one that irks me, I see it a lot, is:

"OMG neva drinkin again borrrrkkkkkk"

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    All of my "friends" on Facebook just seem to use their Facebook status as a way of saying "My life is totally awesome".

Recent examples that have occurred in the last 2 hours on my Facebook feed are "... is going to New York!", "... ALL FIVE OFFERS!" and "... last night was messy!"

Surely there is no other motive for putting this as your status other than to let everyone know that your life is great and theirs probably sucks.

Do you know people who do this, and for what purpose do you use your Facebook status?
    A lot of people on mine just seem to moan all the time and look for sympathy.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I take your point but my problem is that it's a status update that's intended to show off about something that a) I have already done, b) have surpassed or c) couldn't give a **** about.
    They probably have OTHER friends who are interested in what they post? I don't normally update my status but I think it's fun to know what are going on with my friends by reading theirs. .

ReputationRep:
    There are some worse on mine like:

'hmmm..Chocolate yum!'

Get a life FFS!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2010
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.