Turn on thread page Beta

Is the purpose of a Facebook status purely to brag about your life? watch

I think the reason why they brag on their status's is because they have no life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarcD)
    You've probably already seen this site, but it looks like you'd appreciate it so just incase you haven't!... :p:

http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/
    Thanks for the link- I hadn't seen it but it was pretty hilarious!

ReputationRep:
    I like reading them. It's nice to know that good things are happening to your friends. Generally, mine are just descriptions of that day's biggest fail (see: 'Harley just slipped off the chair she was kneeling on and thumped her sternum on its back. Smooth.')

(Original post by ColyTom)
    How can you have such an out look OP?
    You msut lvie a really sad live.
    cheer up and start enjoying your life. Enjoy your experiences and enjoy your friend's experiences
    A bit harsh, but a nice outlook. (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    Not really. Obviously you get some show offs, but on mine there are plenty of people that use it to moan about their lives - usually a girl moaning about splitting up with her boyfriend or something - or inane details no one cares about, eg "xyz just made a cup of tea".
    People who do them statuses should be shot...

ReputationRep:
    because it's formal/prom season I'm seeing a lot of updates of people moaning about how they don't have a date, etc

usually from the same kind of people who post the **** about their life being doomed and how they can't go on anymore... it's entertaining in a train wreck kind of way

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Or sometimes just to rant about things

ReputationRep:
    Does seem to be mostly to either brag about your life or whinge about it. Or to post song lyrics.

ReputationRep:
    Well within my group of friends at least, it seems to be the complete opposite. I'd rather have bragging messages than all the ones cluttering up my page of really emo song lyrics and "Well it just goes to show who you're real friends are"/ "The setting sun is like my dying dreams"/ whatever other crap they all come out with :/

Personally I tend to go for stupid in jokes instead.

ReputationRep:
    I dont like it when they post like "for god sake im so pissed off with him", and then you ask who and they say dont worry its private.

They should just not post. I couldnt care anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy12691)
    For God's sake, it's their facebooks at the end of the day, I'm sure they can do whatever they want? What is your problem then?
    :ditto:

It's only members of TSR that seriously analyse things like this. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    "What's on your mind?"

Blame that :p:.

I do this sometimes only because I really do have no life (currently). On a gap year with no job and all my friends are busy at uni, so I am bored all the time and get a bit status-happy sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    I usually have "I hope the police don't find all those bodies I hid" as my status.

It hasn't changed. Yet.

Mwhahaha.

ReputationRep:
    I try to post interesting things. I don't have much to brag about, haha.

Some of my last ones were:

So, I was trying to find some kind of match for this celebrity doppelganger week thing, put a couple of photos into the celebrity matcher... apparently I am the love child of Rupert Grint and Macauley Culkin. Brilliant.
    Wikipedia tells me that Jack Davenport is married to Michelle Gomez. I think I want to be their love child.
    X is an an unpredictable, yet compassionate, slightly masculine, Kinks fan... with eyes.

Not that interesting, actually. I don't mind the braggy ones, apart from people I dislike, lol. The worst ones are the ones posting 'woe is me' statuses. Especially from the younger people I have on facebook (I keep them for stalking purposes, merherher). For example, I am friends with this girl, who posted all of these within one day:

'I trusted you and you ****** me over' is probably the best fan page I've joined in a whileeee.
    is it really necessary to go behind my back?
    All I'm asking you, is don't write me off just yet.
    In the end it doesn't really matter.
    Never trust anyone when they say 'always' or 'forever' because they never mean it. Fact.
    Because of you I am afraid.
    'If I tell you a secret do you promise to tell everyone?'
    I hate everyone.
    Once again, fear takes over.
    I love how you think you are superior to me. Well, you're not!
    I will never be good enough for you.
    this is beyond ridiculous now.
    Or you could ignore me, that's cool.
    I hate this.
    FFS, ugh.

Good lord.

ReputationRep:
    Most people I know brag a lot on FB, but FB is very useful for me. That's how I get updates on news, homework, and other important information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColyTom)
    How can you have such an out look OP?
    You msut lvie a really sad live.
    cheer up and start enjoying your life. Enjoy your experiences and enjoy your friend's experiences
    Haha this is ridiculous.

I can assure you my life is just fine - left school with 5 A Levels, now at a top London university, regularly go on holidays, go out pretty much every night, I'm not exactly bored!

What I find funny is the way some people think what they're doing is impressive but it's the kinda thing I regard as a perfectly normal activity.

ReputationRep:
    Facebook is a very useful tool for me. For instance, I am aware that sometime in the summer there is a results day, but I will not know exactly which day until people start posting statuses saying they can't wait for results day. I acquire dates by osmosis

ReputationRep:
    I hide those who update their Facebook statuses every two hours. Annoying *******s.

ReputationRep:
    I've wrote similar status' but it's not to brag...I never really thought of it like that. It's moreso because I'm happy or achieved something and can't really contain myself. You'd tell your friends if you got into your frist choice Uni, got really good grades or started a relationship you were excited about...fb i just a more effective way of doing that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    I seem to post random facts about physics at the moment...
    I think being pedantic is even worse in a way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    If you post that, people will pity you.
    mehh...if that's what it takes for him to have his little victory, I say let him have it.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.