Turn on thread page Beta

Is the purpose of a Facebook status purely to brag about your life? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrookedLegs)
    Yes it's a pathetic way of people letting their 'friends' know that they are doing and how great it is. I read an article recently that said people write a facebook status so that people don't forget they are still there and to constantly remind them how fantastic their life is.

What also annoys me is when people go fishing for sympathy by saying something along the lines of: , **** day, borrrrrrrrrrrrrred, can't believe that just happened etc
    which is great marketing for facebook.... because it makes it like twitter except better
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I guess so - but I like knowing my friends are happy :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I think, in some cases, yes.

Some of my (younger) friends do things like post about what they had for tea.
    Utterly pointless.
    As far as I can see, this is either to sort of invite other people into their life, or just simply to broadcast what they are thinking in such a way that many people will listen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caroline147)
    I do not understand when/how the meaning of the word 'messy' changed, anyway
    It's so bloody annoying!!! Another annoying thing is when people use the would banter, to mean any communication whilst in a close proximity to an alcoholic beverage.

ReputationRep:
    is the purpose of your mum purely to brag about her tits.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be stupid.
    It's to find out important information about the owner of the account, such as:
    Daily activites
    Email address
    Home address
    and any other private information included.

ReputationRep:
    yeah usually about being drunk as if it's something to be proud of.

ReputationRep:
    My most recent on said "...has just discovered that a D5 and Dm sound somewhat creepy when played together" I guess that could count as advice. A lot of them are cocky things like if I get annoyed with something then I'll make a joke out of it.

The annoying ones are "...oh I hate you so much. I'm totally over you you willy-licking, horse-sucking, mummy-loving son of a horse's *****".

Clearly she isn't over him.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they're there soley to 'brag' about your life, I mean..sure if something good happens to someone then they'll post it! But on the contrary when sh*t things happen people also post it.

I guess the whole idea of Facebook is to let the world know what's going on, to share personal news and the like.

So even if it's bragging, I don't think it's done in an arrogant way

ReputationRep:
    i use it to share quotes or song words i like wif people..

ReputationRep:
    Fat geeks on mine are always like yES!!!! THAT'S RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! I'M DRNUK. If you challenge someone's status they always delete it too :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Facebook's purely for trolling people, correcting spelling and ranting at things!

ReputationRep:
    My status is just things I want share, Most of my family live in other towns/countries its manily for them

ReputationRep:
    i dont have many self obsessed friends, i rarely come across braggy comments on my feed, usually just funny stuff, or failed jokes

ReputationRep:
    I don't see it like that People like to sharec what's good that's happening with their lives
    I highly doubt that they're thinking "ooh look at me i'm so much better than all my other friends let them read my status and be jealous"

Afterall, it's only facebook

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Amour Toujours)
    I know plenty of people that use their Facebook as a place to brag about their relationships or social lives. That said, I'm guilty of doing it myself at times, so I can't really comment!

I typically use my Facebook as a place to rant though. :p:
    loads of my friends who do that get the pissed taken out of then so usually my mates at skl dont do the whole

'ya ya ya i was totally drank last nite'

but one annoying thing that really grates on me is when people post uni offers - one particular biatch did it on the day that loads of ppl got rejections from oxford which shows she has no class at all seeing as loads of ppl were upset about their rejections

on the other hand posting uv been rejected is fine as automatically youd be looking to be comforted after this which is usually what ppl do

:pierre:

ReputationRep:
    Someone's clearly jealous. Lmao.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathew551)
    Someone's clearly jealous. Lmao.
    Someone's clearly a fag. Lmao.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magno56)
    Someone's clearly a fag. Lmao.
    I'm actually being serious about the OP. Me and my friends use Facebook to tell each other what happens, planning things, etc. And if someone thinks I'm braggin just because I'm reminding my friends what we did last night, then they can pretty much GTFO.

ReputationRep:
    I can't think of anything except bragging or complaining that you can use facebook statuses for. I quite often use them to show people youtube videos or post recipes i've just invented

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.