Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A French subjunctive query watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    OK, I'm wanting to say "if I hadn't read these novels as a young child, I do not believe that my interest in English would be as strong as it is today."

so, je ne crois pas que mon intérêt pour l'anglais [subjunctive form of être] etc etc.

What form of the subjunctive is that?! I'm only familiar with the present subjunctive, but I know that without the subjunctive clause in front, that verb "would be" would have been conditional... is there a conditional subjunctive? I'm sorry if this sounds really stupid, I'm just confused as to what the hell I need to put there.

I hope this actually makes sense.

+ rep.

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing A2 level French by the way ? Or is this something that's on your mind ?

If you are doing A2 level French then you are only required to use the present form of the subjuctive. You only need to recognise the other forms. Also there is no conditional form of the subjuctive. So I would use the present tense which woud imply the same meaning.

Well this is what I was taught when I was doing A2 French.

Hope this helps . Just ask me if you need any more clarification.

ReputationRep:
    No, I've already done A2 French and got an A in it. I'm doing an advanced French course at university atm and finishing off an assessed written piece.

If present subjunctive will work there then I'll just put that. :dontknow: was just wondering whether it would actually make sense, or whether you HAVE to use a different form of the subjunctive in this case.

ReputationRep:
    Well, with a little help from Hawkins and Towell, here is what I would say:

I think in French, ignoring the subjunctive to begin with, you would use past conditional rather than simply conditional ie, 'mon intérêt pour l'anglais aurait été etc etc'

So it falls under the compound conditional tense as mentioned here,

''The compound past tense forms of the subjunctive typically cover all cases where compound past, pluperfect or compound conditional tenses of the indicative would be used'

In layman's terms, you only really need present or past subjunctive, not the other tenses. Past subjunctive covers conditional

So, to answer your question, it would be 'mon intérêt pour l'anglais ait été etc etc'

I think that's right...I have just been doing a 'grammar project' on the subjunctive :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You could use the verb 'douter' which does not take the subjunctive when used in the negative...

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should email your tutors ?

But I'm pretty sure you would use the present otherwise try and change the sentence so you can use another tense.

And *high five* for the A in French ! I got one too. I wish I carried on...now I feel like I'm losing my fluency

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'm_Unsafe.)
    Well, with a little help from Hawkins and Towell, here is what I would say:

I think in French, ignoring the subjunctive to begin with, you would use past conditional rather than simply conditional ie, 'mon intérêt pour l'anglais aurait été etc etc'

So it falls under the compound conditional tense as mentioned here,

''The compound past tense forms of the subjunctive typically cover all cases where compound past, pluperfect or compound conditional tenses of the indicative would be used'

In layman's terms, you only really need present or past subjunctive, not the other tenses. Past subjunctive covers conditional

So, to answer your question, it would be 'mon intérêt pour l'anglais ait été etc etc'

I think that's right...I have just been doing a 'grammar project' on the subjunctive :rolleyes:
    That's great I didn't know that. I was using the present most times. OP consider this response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Free_Spiritz)
    Maybe you should email your tutors ?

But I'm pretty sure you would use the present otherwise try and change the sentence so you can use another tense.

And *high five* for the A in French ! I got one too. I wish I carried on...now I feel like I'm losing my fluency
    I would but this has to be handed in in two hours. I need to learn not to leave things til the last minute, hahaha.

This is puzzling me a lot. Thank you for all the replies! I don't think I'm going to get this right :rofl: but I'll have it explained to me if I do do it wrong, I suppose.

Oh French grammar... sigh.

edit: gonna go with past subjunctive.

ReputationRep:
    Je peux t'aider.
    OK, I'm wanting to say "if I hadn't read these novels as a young child, I do not believe that my interest in English would be as strong as it is today."
    Si je n'avais pas lu ces romans étant enfant, je ne pense pas que mon intérêt pour l'anglais fusse aussi fort qu'il ne l'est de nos jours.

But, even as a French guy, it sounds horrible, not a decent French would use that. Remember that subjoctive is not commonly used, not at all !

Oh yeah, and here is the most famous "grammar dictionnary" in the French language:

http://www.bescherelle.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renaud)
    Je peux t'aider.

Si je n'avais pas lu ces romans étant enfant, je ne pense pas que mon intérêt pour l'anglais fusse aussi fort qu'il ne l'est de nos jours.

But, even as a French guy, it sounds horrible, not a decent French would use that. Remember that subjoctive is not commonly used, not at all !

Oh yeah, and here is the most famous "grammar dictionnary" in the French language:

http://www.bescherelle.com/
    Yeah, I know the subjunctive isn't used commonly in France but over here we get extra marks for using it in French essays and such as it's complex grammar...blame examiners. :no:

Thanks!

I AM SO BAFFLED. I think I need to start going over the subjunctive in its more complicated forms, lol.

ReputationRep:
    The subjunctive does make me sigh, how we're supposed to understand a tense that doesn't even exist in English is beyond me, but
    www.bescherelle.com
    that book is the single most valuable grammar book I possess - it has (almost) all the answers!

But thanks for the rep

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, don't dare !
    I mean, I struggled 10 minutes to know what was right ! ^^
    Try to use the website as often as possible, it will help you a lot since 99% of french students use it once a week.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, so how about:
    Si je n'avais pas lu ces romans comme un jeune enfant, mon intérêt pour l'anglais ne serait aussi forte qu'elle l'est aujourd'hui, je crois.

Edit: Actually yeah, go with the past subjunctive :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow drops)

so, je ne crois pas que mon intérêt pour l'anglais [subjunctive form of être] etc etc.

What form of the subjunctive is that?! I'm only familiar with the present subjunctive, but I know that without the subjunctive clause in front, that verb "would be" would have been conditional... is there a conditional subjunctive? I'm sorry if this sounds really stupid, I'm just confused as to what the hell I need to put there.

I hope this actually makes sense.

+ rep.
    It would be: "Si je n'avais pas lu tous ces romans quand j'étais petite, je crois que mon intérêt pour la littérature n'aurait pas été aussi fort qu'il l'est aujourd'hui."
    To be honest I don't know the rules about subjonctive (learned them in the past but I've forgotten them) but I went to a French high school and sat the French Baccalauréat, and this is what sounds right to me. Hope it helps.

ReputationRep:
    comme un jeune enfant
    That means "like a young child" and no "as a young child"

mon intérêt pour l'anglais ne serait aussi forte qu'elle l'est aujourd'hui
    Inrérêt is masculine: mon intérêt pour l'anglais ne serait pas aussi fort qu'il ne l'est ...

But since, you've got a very good French, that's good to see Foreigners learn our language.

(Original post by I'm_Unsafe.)
    The subjunctive does make me sigh, how we're supposed to understand a tense that doesn't even exist in English is beyond me, but that book is the single most valuable grammar book I possess - it has (almost) all the answers!

But thanks for the rep
    It IS valuable ! But don't try to hard to understand it : learn perfectly the present, the imparfait and that will fit.

ReputationRep:
    Just as a side note; the subjunctive does indeed exist in English.

Take these examples, "The doctor advised that he take 2 tablets per day", "If I were a rich man", "Imagine if he were to win the jackpot"

Although it only contains a small part on the French subjunctive, wikipedia is actually quite helpful! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subjunc...tive_in_French

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the English subjunctive exists. More people should use it. :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    What you need is a verb dictionary. Buy one, preferably Bescherelle.

In the meantime, here's all the conjugations of être:
    http://www.wordreference.com/conj/FR...sp?v=%C3%AAtre

ReputationRep:

Inrérêt is masculine: mon intérêt pour l'anglais ne serait pas aussi fort qu'il ne l'est ...
    Je ne comprends pas bien, je veux juste savoir pourquoi tu as mit une negation ici: [...]fort qu'il ne l'est. Merci

ReputationRep:
    Wow, comment expliquer quelque chose qui vient de la pratique ?..
    Euh: mon intérêt est plus fort que ce qu'il a pu être. Il est plus fort qu'avant...
    No, I am deeply sorry but I am unable to explain it clearly. I mean, it's only a rule, you know I guess there is no a valuable explanation there. Ask your teacher, but this is not crucial at all when you speak (not write I mean). It's only practice.

Oh yeah:
    Je ne comprends pas bien, je veux juste savoir pourquoi tu as mit une negation ici:
    "Je veux juste savoir pourquoi tu as mis...". When you don't know what to use at the end of a "participe passé", try the feminie form: it is "misE", so then you know you have to use a S. It does not work all the time though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 12, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.