Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Undergrad university to postgrad watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Just wondering, as someone who has been thinking very broadly about the idea of doing postgrad sometime in the future (I know I'm way ahead of myself here, but I can't help but start to think about what I'd like to do with the degree that I'm starting this year) is it better to have attended a university for undergrad that is generally very well respected, but perhaps isn't as strong in the subject you're studying, or to attend a university that's perhaps a bit less respected but has particular prominence in the area you'd like to study?

It's not going to make a massive amount of difference in my choice (if any at all) but I'm just rather curious as to whether, when applying for postgrad, the whole university or the department itself that you studied at matters more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llacerta)
    Just wondering, as someone who has been thinking very broadly about the idea of doing postgrad sometime in the future (I know I'm way ahead of myself here, but I can't help but start to think about what I'd like to do with the degree that I'm starting this year) is it better to have attended a university for undergrad that is generally very well respected, but perhaps isn't as strong in the subject you're studying, or to attend a university that's perhaps a bit less respected but has particular prominence in the area you'd like to study?

It's not going to make a massive amount of difference in my choice (if any at all) but I'm just rather curious as to whether, when applying for postgrad, the whole university or the department itself that you studied at matters more.
    Looking at the universities you've applied to then there isn't that much difference in how they are 'respected' generally, personally I'd say that for postgrad attending somewhere that is acknowledged in the field as being strong as a department would be better, but it won't make that much difference overall.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think that postgrad admissions would really look into it much being from a 'strong department' as an undergrad vs. a 'strong institution'. In a lot of cases there will be plenty of prospective students in the postgrad course who are switching fields and did not study in such a department ever. As a general rule, get into as rigorous a university in a "related" undegrad course as you can and get those marks. You may change your mind and find postgrad unnecessary. For general graduate schemes, employers would broadly have a clearer knowledge of unis in general than specific departments.

ReputationRep:
    Judging from my own experience of my applications this year, postgraduate admissions do not care were you come from as long as you are a strong applicant. There will be some people who apply for postgraduate to compensate for their undergraduate university, but most will go where their subject specific interests lie.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.