Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone with any experience in anything related think that having one or two typos in one's CV-for example, 'refliected' instead of 'reflected', etc-would lead to an instant rejection of an otherwise strong application (good cover letter, high 2.1 average from Oxford, AAA, commercial and law work experience, etc) ? I mean, if it is only 2 or thereabouts, not ubiquitous? Just noticed that I seem to have added one or two by accident when attempting to tighten the thing up (ironic, I know).

Best,

ReputationRep:
    Well, I don't think one mistake would automatically warrant a rejection of the entire application, if the application is made up by its strength in other areas. But considering that 'attention to detail' is a skill that they look for, they might find some other suitably better CVs minus the mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it would lead to an instant rejection. It does create a bad impression though.

ReputationRep:
    To me it's a no-no - anyone serious about their application would triple chekc for typos. (Lol)

ReputationRep:
    Having a friend who works in a company that does HR for a lot of major London practices, I've heard any spelling or grammatical errors = instant binning of CV.

Unless, of course, your daddy is a partner...

ReputationRep:
    my mistakes were probably a bit subtler. comma instead of full stop. one mis-shaped bullet point. I didn't notice and neither did they.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peachmelba)
    my mistakes were probably a bit subtler. comma instead of full stop. one mis-shaped bullet point. I didn't notice and neither did they.
    Yeah, there is only really one typo, and that is in the name of a place. Hopefully they won't be anal enough notice, given the length of the rest of the stupid app. It's for a pretty anally retentive company though :/ . So who knows. I have heard that there is a general '3 strikes' rule re spelling mistakes and/or typos at many of the big firms, which I suppose seems about right...

ReputationRep:
    It's not anal at all, particularly if you consider that absolute accuracy is pretty much essential for the job.

If there are a lot of applicants of a very similar standard (which there often are these days), which ones do you think they're more likely to follow up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annonnymoose)
    It's not anal at all, particularly if you consider that absolute accuracy is pretty much essential for the job.

If there are a lot of applicants of a very similar standard (which there often are these days), which ones do you think they're more likely to follow up?
    It depends if they see it, doesn't it? Using the same one, I've been offered 2 MC interviews. I only just noticed it now, however. They clearly read the CV part pretty quickly, work experience and grades apart. It just gets tiring doing them, and your eyes start to fail after a certain number, and the same stupid application formats, etc etc. The point is, the mistakes are pretty small in any case, but it does depend how much time the HR minions who look at the actual CVs to determine who gets to interview have on their hands to pore over the thing. Here's hoping anyway.

Were you bullied at school by the way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albiceleste)

Were you bullied at school by the way?
    Ha ha. Very funny. No, but I do have a job as a proofreader.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annonnymoose)
    Ha ha. Very funny. No, but I do have a job as a proofreader.
    Ahh, that would explain it. You do a vaulable job, and I can see why you would seek to defend it. How much do you charge, incidentally? Perhaps I should invest...

ReputationRep:
    All ways Czech fur spelling miss takes.

(spellcheck says it's fine...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albiceleste)
    Ahh, that would explain it. You do a vaulable job, and I can see why you would seek to defend it. How much do you charge, incidentally? Perhaps I should invest...
    To be honest, most people don't really need a proofreader - just get a couple of friends whose grammar and spelling you trust to read it through very carefully, several times. Don't tell anyone I said that though or I'll be out of a job. :eek3: Never rely entirely on a spellcheck programme either as they don't pick up everything and some of Word's grammar suggestions are a little bit peculiar to say the least!

I work for a big company (when I have the time!) and don't take other private work, or I might just have taken you up on that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yodude888)
    All ways Czech fur spelling miss takes.

(spellcheck says it's fine...)
    You beat me to it! :yep:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.